• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:23 AM

I read that Waterman 12's in RHR are very rare, and i wasn't able to find and sales of them selling, so im wondering what they sell for? Also i came across this Waterman 615 while searching for pens, and ive never seen one, and would like your opinion's...

http://home.comcast....g/RMHR615_1.jpg

#2 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:50 AM

I would say a waterman 12 in rhr is quite uncommon, but not rare.

the waterman 615 is rare.

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:57 AM

I would say a waterman 12 in rhr is quite uncommon, but not rare.

the waterman 615 is rare.

What do you think the going prices are? It was on a thread on FPN which David N. stated RHR 12's are very uncommon, and i haven't really been able to spy on one...

#4 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

A number 16 in RHR just sold for around $1000 I believe on ebay. I thought it would have gone for more but you never know. I would assume your number 12 to be in the $3-500 range.

The 615 is extremely rare, prices could be anywhere on that pen depending on the buyer.

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

A number 16 in RHR just sold for around $1000 I believe on ebay. I thought it would have gone for more but you never know. I would assume your number 12 to be in the $3-500 range.

The 615 is extremely rare, prices could be anywhere on that pen depending on the buyer.

Posted Image Not offense, but i dont think anyone would sell a RHR 12 for $500... What's your guess price on a 615 on a re-sale site?

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:27 AM

Posted Image Not offense, but i dont think anyone would sell a RHR 12 for $500... What's your guess price on a 615 on a re-sale site?

Most would not ask so much?

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:36 AM

-d

David,

Waterman 12's in RHR really dont go for more than $500? What do you think of that find 615?

#8 plmadding

plmadding

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

-d

David,

Waterman 12's in RHR really dont go for more than $500? What do you think of that find 615?

Brando.

I do believe he is trying to clarify what you said in the previous post. Saying, "Not offense, but i dont think anyone would sell a RHR 12 for $500," does not indicate whether you think someone would, not sell this pen for more or less than $500.

Also, if you ask for board members opinions on pricing; respect what they have to say.. It is rather crass to reply to someone who has just helped you by stating that you "don't think anyone would sell a RHR 12 for $500," and then follow it up with a request for another price.

Regards,

Preston

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

Gents,

Maybe time for deep breath ;)

I indeed was poking a bit at Brandon's grammar/syntax, as he indeed left it open as to whether he believed someone would not offer a red Waterman #12 for as little as, as much as, or just exactly at $500. Hard to address pricing questions if one does not know if someone considers $500 expensive or cheap for the pen in play. I was trying at least to pin down what was being said.

Also, keep in mind this is Fountain Pen Board, not Fountain Pen Network. Challenges regarding pen collecting are not unwelcome, though supporting evidence for any assertion lends it greater credibility no doubt ;)

Moderation very rarely occurs here, and certainly with lighter touch than at some other locales.

I've had pleasure to handle many old pens as part of my photo shoots at pens shows, but probably have not handled a non-overlay RHR 12 (cone cap) pen.

RHR 52's seem to sell, clean, around $300's. I sold a mint stickered example for well more, but that was an exceptional item.

12's are more rare. I've photographed rhr overlays (eg. 412) and believe a plain 12 would pull well less. I think it possible such could sell for $500 range or less. But, while I've photo'd thousands of old pens, have read the TIFFT compendium on Waterman numbering, and have perused many old ads, catalogues and pamphlets, I am not reflexive with pricing and with rarity for the oodles of early Waterman pens out there. So... I could due wrong.

Too, I'm a bit concerned with the mottled 615. Again, I have not reviewed my many Waterman catalogues in some time, but I don't recall overt documentation for mottled overlays of this sort.
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#10 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

Rhr 12 maybe $350 +/- depending on condition.

I might answer the 615 tomorrow depending on my mood.

#11 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Rick, you are one funny man. Sorry for some of my terminology above, i think i confused myself. I know #12's are very rare, and reading David N.'s post of them being very hard to come buy, made me think maybe more than $500. But it's what the market brings, so it is what it is. The 615 is beautiful and is another pen ive yet to see on gopens or other re-sellers of pens.

#12 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

Rick, you are one funny man. Sorry for some of my terminology above, i think i confused myself. I know #12's are very rare, and reading David N.'s post of them being very hard to come buy, made me think maybe more than $500. But it's what the market brings, so it is what it is. The 615 is beautiful and is another pen ive yet to see on gopens or other re-sellers of pens.

Do you have a link to where David says the RHR 12 is a rare pen?

Todd

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

I'd be interested to see info regarding a non-12 size 6xy pen or for mottled Waterman overlays.

Where is this "mottled 615" pen located? I'm assuming it is not yours...

regards

david

Posted Image

#14 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:07 AM

I'd be interested to see info regarding a non-12 size 6xy pen or for mottled Waterman overlays.

regards

david

Not mine David,

I was just looking on the internet and came across this. I dont quite understand what you mean by " info regarding a non-12 size 6xy pen or for mottled Waterman overlays?"

#15 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

regards

david

Not mine David,

I was just looking on the internet and came across this. I dont quite understand what you mean by " info regarding a non-12 size 6xy pen or for mottled Waterman overlays?"

Location?

What I mean is that I've not seen any mottled overlay Waterman pens that are original (Geoff Berliner showed one he'd made twenty years ago or so in Penworld Mag), and I don't recall any Waterman documentation for such. I always am willing to broaden my horizons, but when I've not heard of something, even recognizing my lack of omniscience, I sense a red flag.

Too, not sure the pearl overlay of this sort was offered larger than a 12 size.

regards

david

Posted Image

#16 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Here is link to the discussion two years ago at our neighbor, the Fountain Pen Network.

http://www.fountainp...l-slab-in-rmhr/

I would reflect Daniel's question back in that discussion.

Regards

David

Posted Image

#17 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:10 AM

regards

david

Not mine David,

Location?

What I mean is that I've not seen any mottled overlay Waterman pens that are original (Geoff Berliner showed one he'd made twenty years ago or so in Penworld Mag), and I don't recall any Waterman documentation for such. I always am willing to broaden my horizons, but when I've not heard of something, even recognizing my lack of omniscience, I sense a red flag.

Too, not sure the pearl overlay of this sort was offered larger than a 12 size.

regards

david

Understandable, id never seen that sale page for that pen, and wow for the price. Still a nice pen, just never seen a pearl slab 12 before, except i think the desk pens were the only pens with pearl slabs.

#18 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

1345079242[/url]' post='16828']

1345075668[/url]' post='16821']

regards

david

Not mine David,

Do you know Hank or did you just borrow the picture hoping to purchase the pen after an evaluation?

Also how did you run across the picture if not on FPN? My search skills are not so well developed.

Edited by FarmBoy, 16 August 2012 - 05:01 AM.

#19 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

regards

david

Not mine David,

Do you know Hank or did you just borrow the picture hoping to purchase the pen after an evaluation?

Also how did you run across the picture if not on FPN? My search skills are not so well developed.

I was looking for a RHR 12, and trying to find going prices, and that's when i stumbled upon that beauty.

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

I was looking for a RHR 12, and trying to find going prices, and that's when i stumbled upon that beauty.

Torrelli or Sorgatz likely could make one for you, though Sorgatz appears out of the hobby for good now.

regards

david

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users