• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:45 AM

I watched this auction from the get go, and all 4 pens were great pens, and i loved them all, but that damascene pen is a one in a lifetime grab. What a great deal, and someone out bid be in the last few seconds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_1371wt_1397

#2 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:19 AM

I watched this auction from the get go, and all 4 pens were great pens, and i loved them all, but that damascene pen is a one in a lifetime grab. What a great deal, and someone out bid be in the last few seconds.

If it was that good a deal should have bid more. Then again I've lost a ton of great stuff - I guess I should have bid more. Better luck next time!

Roger W.

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:21 AM

If it was that good a deal should have bid more. Then again I've lost a ton of great stuff - I guess I should have bid more. Better luck next time!

Roger W.

True, with the pen hobby ive learned to just tell myself "you cant have/win everything." Were you bidding?

Edited by brando090, 17 August 2012 - 03:21 AM.

#4 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

Not a good deal, finding a cap would be absurd. Ebay item#160858141849 was an okay deal; an uncommon nib but not impossible or prohibitively expensive. Same pen again as Ebay item#160864358968 and the profit margin has already receded.

Lifetime is a relative term. I read an interesting article yesterday how American Airlines used to offer a "Lifetime" style ticket: LA Times article .

#5 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:04 AM

Roger W.

True, with the pen hobby ive learned to just tell myself "you cant have/win everything." Were you bidding?

No, I'm very strictly Bostons, Sheaffer's, Edward Todd's, and Tempoint's (early Wahl's). Used to do more but, can't afford it with all the kids. Fond of them - don't want to sell any for pens yet but, then again they aren't teenagers - could change my mind...

Roger W.

#6 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:04 AM

I was not bidding. I see a collection of pen parts and a project that for the most part I am not able to identify and that I suspect will be difficult to complete.

Edited by FarmBoy, 17 August 2012 - 04:05 AM.

#7 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:37 AM

I was not bidding. I see a collection of pen parts and a project that for the most part I am not able to identify and that I suspect will be difficult to complete.

That is so true, i liked the gem stone set pencil holder (what it looks like) and the striated gold fountain pen. The problem with that gold pen, is the cap with be years in the making to find, and its a cheap Warranted nib, and would sell less than $150 restored IMO.

#8 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:45 AM

Please note: the title of the thread should read "I should have won", not "I should of won". Brando, you do this all the time. Yes, this is the Internet Grammar Police. And, yes, people will probably take you less seriously because of things like this.

HTH

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

I thought your eBay account was closed

#10 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

I thought your eBay account was closed

Looks that was according to Toolhaus Negative Ebay
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#11 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

He has a new account - branny090.

Roger W.

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

Taking no stance regarding specific events on ebay, but before folks have too much fun playing, "Dog pile on the rabbit" (brownie points if you get the reference, without looking it up), I remind ya that some of your nearest and dearest pen friends (no, not me this time) have had issues with ebay accounts over the years.

Some of this is about what one wants to do next, not what happened before...

Time will tell

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#13 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Taking no stance regarding specific events on ebay, but before folks have too much fun playing, "Dog pile on the rabbit" (brownie points if you get the reference, without looking it up), I remind ya that some of your nearest and dearest pen friends (no, not me this time) have had issues with ebay accounts over the years.

Some of this is about what one wants to do next, not what happened before...

Time will tell

-d

For those who'd like to know why my account was closed, it was because of my age. Trust me, some of that negative feedback is from people who have scammed me out of my pens and the money they have paid for them. I ship my pens professionally to the point that i wrap the pens in bubble wrap and/or inside a PVC pipe, in a bubble mailer.

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

For those who'd like to know why my account was closed, it was because of my age. Trust me, some of that negative feedback is from people who have scammed me out of my pens and the money they have paid for them. I ship my pens professionally to the point that i wrap the pens in bubble wrap and/or inside a PVC pipe, in a bubble mailer.

I don't know that we need to hash out the details of an ebay account closure, but if we are going to make assertions about other people mentioned in the feedback list, I am obligated to point out that at least one of the negatives is from a long term reliable and serious collector/restorer.

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#15 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:26 AM

I don't know that we need to hash out the details of an ebay account closure, but if we are going to make assertions about other people mentioned in the feedback list, I am obligated to point out that at least one of the negatives is from a long term reliable and serious collector/restorer.

-d

I did not know that, and i do apologize for the way my ad may of been advertised. Some of those earlier negative feedback's were from a bad description, and ive since made it buyer friendly and better detailed. I take the serious collector was buying the Skyline...

#16 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

-d

I did not know that, and i do apologize for the way my ad may of been advertised. Some of those earlier negative feedback's were from a bad description, and ive since made it buyer friendly and better detailed. I take the serious collector was buying the Skyline...

Yep, the skyline. Seeing his feedback and your response that - "Trust me, some of that negative feedback is from people who have scammed me out of my pens and the money they have paid for them." - let's just say at this point the less you say the better.

Roger W.

#17 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

OK, I happened to see your listing on the 3-25 Jade this morning and noted your feedback. Your 1 and only sale under a new user ID and you refuse to sell the guy the pen!?!? What's wrong with you? List a pen without reserve and you have to take what it sells for, period! If you don't understand how EBay works I would suggest staying off of it.

Roger W.

#18 plmadding

plmadding

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Agreed Roger.

Brando- When selling on Ebay, you win some and you lose some. As a new seller, (with a quite shady history) you will see greatly depressed selling prices. The only way you will ever gain any respect is if you say what you mean, and mean what you say. I have lost money several times selling pens on ebay, but I sure did package and ship the pen as well and fast as I do when I make money. It is called integrity, you should try it sometime.

Preston

#19 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

OK, I happened to see your listing on the 3-25 Jade this morning and noted your feedback. Your 1 and only sale under a new user ID and you refuse to sell the guy the pen!?!? What's wrong with you? List a pen without reserve and you have to take what it sells for, period! If you don't understand how EBay works I would suggest staying off of it.

Roger W.

Roger,

Im pretty sure i know how ebay works, and how feedback is given as im on many other websites where i deal in high end audio, etc. It was a mistake on my-part to list it without reserve, and think my watchers would bid to what they are going for restored. I guess not.

#20 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

This is classic: tries to add a disclaimer after the listing that he won't sell it under a certain amount, instead of honoring his word, and the decision that a $10 difference to him seems to be worth getting a negative rating Penny-wise is pound foolish.

Brando, you really claim to know how eBay works? Most people I know wouldn't deal with a seller like you! Dude, you probably have a very, very small window of time to clean up your act, but your rep is getting carved in stone these days. Please, try to take some advice from the people that have been good enough to offer it to you.

Edited by JonSzanto, 18 August 2012 - 04:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users