• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 parkercollector.com

parkercollector.com

journeyman

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

I'm mostly into more vintage Parkers but the Centennials always had a place in my heart...
I just found the Sterling silver one and now my collection is starting to look good, right?
I'm still missing the Black and the Presidential (which I'll never be able to afford), but I thought i'd share:

Posted Image

http://parkercollector.com

Edited by parkercollector.com, 27 August 2012 - 07:00 PM.

Posted Image

#2 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

Very nice,

The silver one is definitely on my list of pens to buy. Aren't these pens "vintage" as in 1990's?

#3 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:46 AM

There are both an International 'Presidential' FP - and - rollerball on this link.
http://www.vintagepe..._LatepkrDuo.htm
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#4 parkercollector.com

parkercollector.com

journeyman

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

Very nice,

The silver one is definitely on my list of pens to buy. Aren't these pens "vintage" as in 1990's?

I suppose so... some have 1970 as a sort of line between vintage and modern...

Here's an image of the solid gold Presidential:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

My basic criteria has always been 'older than me'. In the sense that vintage means 'when the grapes were harvested' one could certainly say that something was vintage 1990s. However, we normally use the word to inicate something that isn't technically yet antique but nevertheless is old, and thus interesting. I was born in 1965, so nothing after that can possibly be old (nor vintage, by my reasoning).

Which all means that for me vintage ends with PFMs, P51s and Esterbrook Js. (I also think that if you have to use a cartridge your pen sucks, but that's fodder for some other pointless post.)

Tim
(not quite yet vintage...)
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#6 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

My basic criteria has always been 'older than me'. In the sense that vintage means 'when the grapes were harvested' one could certainly say that something was vintage 1990s. However, we normally use the word to inicate something that isn't technically yet antique but nevertheless is old, and thus interesting. I was born in 1965, so nothing after that can possibly be old (nor vintage, by my reasoning).

Which all means that for me vintage ends with PFMs, P51s and Esterbrook Js. (I also think that if you have to use a cartridge your pen sucks, but that's fodder for some other pointless post.)

Tim
(not quite yet vintage...)

Hmmm. :blink: Veteran, at one time (normally when referring to motor vehicles) meant between 70 and 99 years old.
Vintage or Antique, meant 100 years plus.

Not sure if that can be placed on writing implements, but maybe could be tweaked to work for them.

Given your scale,
This 'vintage' pen collector is now signing off ;) (circa 1963)
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#7 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

i have a few of these centennials myself and a few more of the internationals, and i have to say that they can get quite addictive in their own right, especially when you start matching them with their vintage forebears.

in fact i just added another international to the roster.

it's not like i'm swimming in money, and lord knows i have more than enough pens to play with until i croak, but i'm such a sucker for orange-and-black pens that i couldn't resist this buy-it-now (BIN) item on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320970645126?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m142\3.l2649#ht_500wt_1192

these orange duofold internationals easily sell for twice the price and i just know i'm not going to see this bargain again anytime soon.

so--it looks like one or two of my nice big duofolds (old and modern) will be on the selling block soon to make up for this purchase. let me figure out which ones i can live without....

but this will look good next to my 1928 big red, my 1928 junior, and my bexley corona summer sunset. just waiting for that $99 hemingway BIN ;)

Edited by penmanila, 30 August 2012 - 12:13 PM.

Check out my pens here and my blog here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users