28 replies to this topic

#21 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

I'll play the game, i have been bidding regular amounts on the silver overlay 452 pens, and they've been going more than what i remember them at. I dont know, im wrong your right. Tell you the truth, when im buying i take a gamble, so really when i check out the feedback and everything is all good (doesn't matter if he has 5 feedback, or 5,000) if he's a frequent user on the bay and has over a 95% he's good. I mean i remember buying a lot of pens (blurry photo) but i could make out a Waterman, so that's why i bought it. It's like storage lockers, you cant just take a risk, you have to take a risk.

No game.

Rather an attempt at education.

Buying storage lockers blindly might be a poor model to hold up in contrast to the way collectors educated in their chosen collectibe hunt for items of interest.

Too "you can't just take a risk, you have to take a risk" is a more than bit bromide-ish.

Most of us who buy well do little in the way of gambling.

This contrast is one of the educational merits I see in this thread... there for those who are receptive...

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#22 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

I love the smell of education in the morning...

#23 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

One could certainly conclude from George's data that the price variance could well have more to do with the quality/cache' of a given example than changes in overall demand (note first three pens descriptions begin with "missing" while last three begin with "complete").

One could also conclude by comparing apples to apples (i.e., "complete, filligree") that prices have increased over time. Two months seems a might short time span, though.

There's a reason, for example, why climatology data isn't considered significant unless there's at least 30 years worth of it. It takes a big picture to define an actual trend.

Tim

Hi Tim,

While always there is room for gut feelings and vague general impressions, such things are more sound when based on solid experience and on solid consideration of issues in play. I've been a bit obscure in my posts... for a reason ;)

How to compare 452's?

Control for pattern

Control for condition

Control for venue

Control for season

Control for quality/feedback of seller.

Control for quality of photographs

Control for level of guarantee/warrantee from seller.

Awareness of historical price points in the setting of above.

Part of the poking at the OP, besides his somewhat grandiose claim that any widely traded (as much as any old pen can be "widely traded) pen has bumped hugely in value in couple months, stems from suspicion that he really wasn't much focused on the issues in play ;)

-d

Excellent! Now we're adding substance (detail) to my vague, impressionist inference to a Big Picture. (Hey, I like Monet. What can I say?)

Isn't this fun?

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#24 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

Yes!
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#25 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

Yes!

You never really learn something until you need to teach it.

#26 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

As with everything there will be ups and downs in demand, prices and the market generally. the current state of the world economy may have something to do with iy. Personally, I'm not altogether concerned as I plan to hold my 452 long term.

Anyway what goes up comes down and vice versa given enough time.

Also, +1 for other comments by David I and FarmBoy.

#27 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

I'll play the game, i have been bidding regular amounts on the silver overlay 452 pens, and they've been going more than what i remember them at. I dont know, im wrong your right. Tell you the truth, when im buying i take a gamble, so really when i check out the feedback and everything is all good (doesn't matter if he has 5 feedback, or 5,000) if he's a frequent user on the bay and has over a 95% he's good. I mean i remember buying a lot of pens (blurry photo) but i could make out a Waterman, so that's why i bought it. It's like storage lockers, you cant just take a risk, you have to take a risk.

No game.

Rather an attempt at education.

Buying storage lockers blindly might be a poor model to hold up in contrast to the way collectors educated in their chosen collectibe hunt for items of interest.

Too "you can't just take a risk, you have to take a risk" is a more than bit bromide-ish.

Most of us who buy well do little in the way of gambling.

This contrast is one of the educational merits I see in this thread... there for those who are receptive...

-d

I do appreciate the education, and i have much to learn.

#28 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

As with everything there will be ups and downs in demand, prices and the market generally. the current state of the world economy may have something to do with iy. Personally, I'm not altogether concerned as I plan to hold my 452 long term.

Anyway what goes up comes down and vice versa given enough time.

Also, +1 for other comments by David I and FarmBoy.

Agreed,

I bought a beautiful 452 with an accommodation cap, and i dont plan on moving that to soon.

#29 Tennpen

Tennpen

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

Excellent!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users