• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

... the Sheaffer 3-25 is being sold through a well known re-seller of exquisite pens currently along with some "hard to fine" early Soennecken safeties and this Waterman 000 will also be being sold soon.

Who is the "well known re-seller of exquisite pens"? It could be interesting to browse their offerings.

That doesn't need to be pointed out, let's just say he's sold Parker Aztec's in the past, Waterman Doll pens,etc.

#22 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

After all this I am intrigued and will ask the question I think you are driving toward and the questions you don't know that will need answers.

I would like to see detailed pictures of tho pen including the damage and the nib as well as any maker's marks. Detailed pictures of the cap lip and barrel/section joint. I will also ask for close-up pictures of the barrel threads as appropriate since I am unsure which pen is actually yours.

Because the supply is limited I would also like to know the provenance you have with regard to this pen-how did you get it, who had it before, any repairs you made, etc. This is important since few of these come for sale and collectively we often know of said pen for sale.

Of course I also am asking for the terms of sale. This include price, payment, resolution of undisclosed issues, shipping, and return clause. I would also like to know if the pen is available for inspection pre-sale.

Once we have data as indicated, we can discuss interest in pen and next steps.

Note: this reply cent using iSpell buy iPhone.

#23 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

After all this I am intrigued and will ask the question I think you are driving toward and the questions you don't know that will need answers.

I would like to see detailed pictures of tho pen including the damage and the nib as well as any maker's marks. Detailed pictures of the cap lip and barrel/section joint. I will also ask for close-up pictures of the barrel threads as appropriate since I am unsure which pen is actually yours.

Because the supply is limited I would also like to know the provenance you have with regard to this pen-how did you get it, who had it before, any repairs you made, etc. This is important since few of these come for sale and collectively we often know of said pen for sale.

Of course I also am asking for the terms of sale. This include price, payment, resolution of undisclosed issues, shipping, and return clause. I would also like to know if the pen is available for inspection pre-sale.

Once we have data as indicated, we can discuss interest in pen and next steps.

Note: this reply cent using iSpell buy iPhone.

Here's another photo from me. Ill be selling it once this dealer fixes the crack (says it's not too hard) and he knows of someone who has a Doll with a broken barrel and will salvage parts from that and will put them on this pen (all original parts) and than he'll ask an appropriate price. If you are interested in the pen message me.

Posted Image

#24 Tennpen

Tennpen

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

... the Sheaffer 3-25 is being sold through a well known re-seller of exquisite pens currently along with some "hard to fine" early Soennecken safeties and this Waterman 000 will also be being sold soon.

Who is the "well known re-seller of exquisite pens"? It could be interesting to browse their offerings.

That doesn't need to be pointed out, let's just say he's sold Parker Aztec's in the past, Waterman Doll pens,etc.

So is this a secret sale by a well known reseller? More to the point, it appears to be a sale of a vintage pen, mentioned on a board populated by vintage pen enthusiasts, (who would be expected to be the prime audience for such a sale,) being sold by a presumably experienced seller of such items, and the seller "doesn't need to be pointed out" ?

This is an unusual way of doing business, (in my opinion).

#25 Tennpen

Tennpen

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

Here's another photo from me. Ill be selling it once this dealer fixes the crack (says it's not too hard) and he knows of someone who has a Doll with a broken barrel and will salvage parts from that and will put them on this pen (all original parts) and than he'll ask an appropriate price. If you are interested in the pen message me.

Posted Image

Since I am much more a modern pen than vintage pen guy, maybe I am missing something obvious. Where is the nib?

#26 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Posted Image

Since I am much more a modern pen than vintage pen guy, maybe I am missing something obvious. Where is the nib?

Correct, this needs a section, feed and nib. Any this dealer will be repairing the crack. The sale is no secret, it's that i prefer to leave out the dealer as me mentioning people has gotten you members a bit riled up when i do.

#27 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Any this dealer will be repairing the crack. The sale is no secret, it's that i prefer to leave out the dealer as me mentioning people has gotten you members a bit riled up when i do.

• I thought it had been established that cracks and breaks in hard rubber pens can't be repaired. Am I missing something?
  • It isn't mentioning people that gets people active, it is referring to people without actually saying who they are that causes people to wonder. All this needless mystery.

#28 Tennpen

Tennpen

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

... The sale is no secret, it's that i prefer to leave out the dealer as me mentioning people has gotten you members a bit riled up when i do.

Still seems very odd for a legitimate sale through a "known" dealer. The for sale forum seems to have plenty of posts for dealers. It looks like the sale could be listed there.

#29 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

Mentioning a dealer has not upset anyone, as far as I know. Gopens.com has been mentioned by the original poster before.

#30 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

Fascinating. When most of us have pens for sale, we want people to know where to find them.

Note: "Aztecs" not "Aztec's"

Hmmm....

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#31 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

Correct, this needs a section, feed and nib. Any this dealer will be repairing the crack. The sale is no secret, it's that i prefer to leave out the dealer as me mentioning people has gotten you members a bit riled up when i do.

And a cap, it seems.

So, we have, perhaps, for sale a barrel and a box.

Me getting hungry thinking about all this.

But I am concerned, again, by lack of insight. "Mentioning people" certainly never riled anyone. It was what you mentioned about them that riled people, that and unsophisticated or perhaps deceptive attempts to be obscure. This seems smilier to your confusion with your green Sheaffer ebay auction regarding the mistake of not setting a reserve with the "mistake" of failing to honor your sale.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#32 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Any this dealer will be repairing the crack. The sale is no secret, it's
I thought it had been established that cracks and breaks in hard rubber pens can't be repaired. Am I missing something?

• It isn't mentioning people that gets people active, it is referring to people without actually saying who they are that causes people to wonder. All this needless mystery.

Well, that and impugning their integrity based on one's own lack of experience, as happened with his red 52 12 V Waterman ;)

-d

Posted Image

#33 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Brandon: ... the Sheaffer 3-25 is being sold through a well known re-seller of exquisite pens currently along with some "hard to fine" early Soennecken safeties and this Waterman 000 will also be being sold soon.

Brandon; Here's another photo from me. Ill be selling it once this dealer fixes the crack (says it's not too hard)

Are you uncertain who will be selling the doll pen?

d

Posted Image

#34 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Brandon; Here's another photo from me. Ill be selling it once this dealer fixes the crack (says it's not too hard)

Note that hard rubber repairs pose significant challenge regarding longevity of the repair.

regards

david

Posted Image

#35 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

Just to return to the oft quoted rubbish about Waterman's pens in Queen Mary's dolls' house.....

I have copies of e-mails from Kathryn Jones, assistant curator from the Royal collection who was recently involved in making an inventory of the contents of this house. There are only two fountain pens in the house, apparently identical, in the library and Queen's bedroom. I have seen a close-up picture (not for general release) of the pen from the library, this is clearly marked 'Swan, M T & Co' and I understand it is only 12mm long. Even though the cap has been lost, this is still somewhat shorter than the Waterman's Doll's pen in question.

I also understand that more items were submitted than were actually displayed in the house and these were kept separately, though records are sketchy to non-existent. There is some evidence that Onoto may have offered a pen that was not displayed so I suppose Waterman's may also have offered a pen that was also not displayed. However, any supporting evidence for this would have to come from Waterman's archives, there is nothing to suggest this from official Royal sources.

Andy

#36 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

If I understand correctly, you have a broken cap and cracked barrel. You are missing the nib, feed, and section. No mention of a clip. I know of a hand full of people that could manufacture the missing items in an acceptable form, fewer that have access to a pen that could serve as a pattern, and even fewer that would actually take on the project. I do not know of anyone that is repairing cracks in hard rubber in an acceptable manner such that the repair would enhance the value of the pen and not merely serve to mask a problem to an unsuspecting buyer.

I am growing less interested in this pen. Having the box and (potentially) usable barrel has merit. I put the street value at something less than you would be interested in. Still I would like to know the asking price and if I can examine the untouched pen.

#37 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

Note that hard rubber repairs pose significant challenge regarding longevity of the repair.

regards

david

Awh, come on David, a little superglue ya know!

#38 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

I do not know of anyone that is repairing cracks in hard rubber in an acceptable manner such that the repair would enhance the value of the pen and not merely serve to mask a problem to an unsuspecting buyer.

Awh, Farmboy-- in your case I suggest 2 part epoxy, not supeglue!Posted Image

#39 Tennpen

Tennpen

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

I do not know of anyone that is repairing cracks in hard rubber in an acceptable manner such that the repair would enhance the value of the pen and not merely serve to mask a problem to an unsuspecting buyer.

Awh, Farmboy-- in your case I suggest 2 part epoxy, not supeglue!Posted Image

Exactly! J-B Weld will do the trick. In fact, you could just make a whole new cap out of it.

http://jbweld.net/index.php

#40 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

If I understand correctly, you have a broken cap and cracked barrel. You are missing the nib, feed, and section. No mention of a clip. I know of a hand full of people that could manufacture the missing items in an acceptable form, fewer that have access to a pen that could serve as a pattern, and even fewer that would actually take on the project. I do not know of anyone that is repairing cracks in hard rubber in an acceptable manner such that the repair would enhance the value of the pen and not merely serve to mask a problem to an unsuspecting buyer.

I am growing less interested in this pen. Having the box and (potentially) usable barrel has merit. I put the street value at something less than you would be interested in. Still I would like to know the asking price and if I can examine the untouched pen.

Actually getting lathed parts for this pen with ruin it's value and is $500+ to make what i need compared to increasing the value by buying $200-300 in original parts to finish this pen, and whatever the cost to repair the crack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users