8 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

Well, another pen came in a load of pens I bought a few days ago;Posted Image and I have never seen it before, but then again, I have not seen many a pen and I am completely ignorant of what this pen is, age other then the patent date, etc.Posted Image

Moore's Midget pen, works really well, original condition. Of course the seals are shot, but any help will be most appreciated! Posted Image

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:35 AM

The rear knob unscrews counter clockwise. If needed I can give you photos tomorrow.

#3 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

The rear knob unscrews counter clockwise. If needed I can give you photos tomorrow.

It worked! Thank you!

Now what do I do with it?

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

#4 plmadding

plmadding

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:23 AM

Hi Greg,

Next you will unscrew the shaft from the knob which you just took the sleeve off of. Then the nib and shaft should pull out the front of the barrel. Beyond that, I don't know.

The example I have is earlier than the one in the original post. Mine is marked "Moore's Non-Leakable Fountain Pen," with the appropriate American Fountain Pen Co. nib. Later they changed to using the Moore name more prominantly.

Preston

#5 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

Dennis Bowden made a nice post over at FPN about it. Link.

#6 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Yesterday I went to Sterling Illinois to look at a lathe (didn't work out) Called my wife and she said then try to make a day out of it and hit the antiques stores on your way home. Great advice. Found several pens that the dealers were married to but interestingy enough in an antique mall in Peru Illinois there was a mint Moore Midget alas the dealer wanted $90 for it the pen remains in Peru Illinois. Mike Kirk are you reading this?
Jerry

#7 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

I have a Moore's Non-Leakable that I just love using. It's inked and ready to go all the time.

URL=http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=883]Posted Image[/URL]

Not always being the most patient guy, in lieu of trying to recreate the original cork seal by hand I opted to stack some buna-n o rings instead. When you open up the back end of the pen to take it apart you'll access the little compartment where the seal lives. Wonderfully simple system, really.

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#8 BamaPen

BamaPen

journeyman

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:00 AM

I just bought a Moore's Midget exactly like the one Greg posted a year ago. I didn't really know what I was getting, just that it looked interesting. I have read the posts above and also the thread on FPN that is mentioned in one of the posts. This is my very first safety pen of any sort, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. Here's what I've done so far (apologies to Greg for re-using his pictures with my annontations):

I filled the pen with water, then slid the nib into writing position. After a little while, the water re-activated some purple ink that was in the pen and it began to write. After writing a bit, I withdrew the nib, screwed on the cap, and stood the pen on the end of the barrel. After several hours, and several times of opening the pen and writing, then returning it to the standing on end position, I have seen no evidence of any leakage around the barrel plug (point 1 in the picture below) where it screws into the barrel. Also, I have yet to detect any leakage at point 2 where the barrel slides in and out as the nib is extended/retracted.

I have noticed a glistening ring of ink around the inside of the barrel where the nib/feed slip into place for writing which I've marked as "possible leak point?" in the second picture.

Other than the fact that the tines of the nib are very tight and misaligned slightly, the pen seems to work fine with a nice amount of flex.

I'm not inclined to disassemble the pen just for the fun of it so long as it works properly. What advice can the safety pen folks on this board give me about this pen? I'd also be interested in any information about it, including thoughts on its value.

Thanks,
John

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

It worked! Thank you!

Now what do I do with it?

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

Greg,
Pull the nib/feed/ shaft unit out from the front. Looking at the back, there is a HR retaining ring screwed into the barrel back, carefully unscrew this ( you need a tool to wedge into the hole that you can turn, sometimes a jewelers mandrel will work). Now you have access to the area where the cork seal is seated. replace it and put all back together and the pen won't leak from the back anymoore! You can use an o-ring instead of cork.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users