• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:02 AM

Im wondering what antique/vintage storage systems fountain pen collectors are using to store there pens. Anybody retrofitting ice chests for fountain pens? What unique antique/vintage storage systems are you using?

#2 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

G'day Brandon ;)

I use an Antique Italian Cigar Display case that has been lined with Red Velvet Paisley print material.
It has very interesting provenance with the Australian Federal Government House history, and is one of a pair.
... I would love to have it's mate, but it eludes me. No doubt the owner of the other would like mine equally as much for different reasons.

I include a photo here > Posted Image

What do you use?

Regards
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#3 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:31 AM

Brando;

Ice chest - really? Two major ways to go is going with the all out floor model display cabinet that stores used originally or map chests that have the thin drawers and hold lots of pens. I have three cabinets - two circa 1920 and one 1950's.

Roger W.

Posted Image

#4 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:36 AM

Brando;

Ice chest - really? Two major ways to go is going with the all out floor model display cabinet that stores used originally or map chests that have the thin drawers and hold lots of pens. I have three cabinets - two circa 1920 and one 1950's.

Roger W.

Posted Image

Holy Toledo Roger ;)

Now THAT is a large cabinet. You could do with some shelving on top of it for all those great lamps. Envious green tint in my eyes there.
One of those 'map cabinets' you mention - and I think David i has one or two similar cabinets - with the thin drawers was for sale at a local store, but sold.
I later found it had been butchered up.. doors fitted.. and shelves to make an entertainment cabinet. The pain of it all.

Getting back to your photo... amazing case indeed.

Thanks for sharing

Edited by FmrLEO_GJ, 09 September 2012 - 04:39 AM.

Garth

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:10 AM

Oy.

Do we really want to do this...??? ;)

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#6 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:13 AM

Oy.

d

Yes, put up little Davy on the map chest!

Roger W.

#7 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:40 AM

Oy.

d

Yes, put up little Davy on the map chest!

Roger W.

You know, some nights this joint really needs a "Laugh" button!

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Here's a big storage case...

Posted Image

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#9 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

G'day Brandon ;)

I use an Antique Italian Cigar Display case that has been lined with Red Velvet Paisley print material.
It has very interesting provenance with the Australian Federal Government House history, and is one of a pair.
... I would love to have it's mate, but it eludes me. No doubt the owner of the other would like mine equally as much for different reasons.

I include a photo here > Posted Image

What do you use?

Regards

Beautiful! What else do you know about it's history? How do you know that it has a mate? How is it linked to the Australian Government? Do you know the age of it?

As of about a week ago, i was using this DynamiteBoxes Fountain Pen case;

Posted Image

I've since sold that, and as of now am barely fitting them all into this cigar box refitted by BamaPen's;

Posted Image

Posted Image

And awaiting it's arrival it this beautiful industrial cabinet which will hold 36 pens per tray with 9 drawers;

Posted Image

#10 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Brando;

Roger W.

Posted Image

I know, i was just reminiscing on something i aw on TV, and thought the design of an ice chest, and a few modifications would make a great pen storage place, and it controls the humidity Posted Image I like the map chests, but they easily run $800+, and take up a ton of room. And well the display cases, are hard to move, and definitely take up alot of room. You say you have two floor display cases!?

#11 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

Here's a big storage case...

Posted Image

regards

david

Great picture, except id prefer if you had a photo with all the drawers open so my jaw can detach and take in aww all the great pens Posted Image

#12 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

Brandoogo wrote: Beautiful! What else do you know about it's history? How do you know that it has a mate? How is it linked to the Australian Government? Do you know the age of it?

Hi again Brandon,
Thank you for your kind words regarding my cabinet.
I 'know' about the mate and it being part of the 'smoking lounge' in the Old Parliament [Federal] House in Canberra, when both the building was in use, and when smoking was seen as part of some people's normal lifestyle; as the same local antique dealer - who got the Parker Modern on consignment over the weekend for me - is a furniture expert in Australia - and also in Georgian silver - and he remembers seeing a photo with two cases in B&W. On seeing mine he was 99.9% certain it was one of the pair. He, along with the Government historian have been searching for this photograph, as with the Corromandel banding veneers on the front edges, it is like a fingerprint and will confirm - or not - it as being such. The photograph for now, eludes everyone. I have had it valued 'as is' at about two thousand dollars, and if [and I hope, when] the provenance is confirmed, that will double at a minimum, and who knows the value if the pair are ever reunited.. As for age, I have been told somewhere around 1915 - the 1930's.

I quite like the first example of your Dynamite boxes. The simple and elegant timber look pings for me.

Regards
Garth

#13 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

Brandoogo wrote: Beautiful! What else do you know about it's history? How do you know that it has a mate? How is it linked to the Australian Government? Do you know the age of it?

Hi again Brandon,
I 'know' about the mate and it being part of the 'smoking lounge' in the Old Parliament [Federal] House in Canberra, when both the building was in use, and when smoking was seen as part of some people's normal lifestyle; as the same local antique dealer - who got the Parker Modern on consignment over the weekend for me - is a furniture expert in Australia - and also in Georgian silver - and he remembers seeing a photo with two cases in B&W. On seeing mine he was 99.9% certain it was one of the pair. He, along with the Government historian have been searching for this photograph, as with the Corromandel banding veneers on the front edges, it is like a fingerprint and will confirm - or not - it as being such. The photograph for now, eludes everyone. I have had it valued 'as is' at about two thousand dollars, and if [and I hope, when] the provenance is confirmed, that will double at a minimum, and who knows the value if the pair are ever reunited.. As for age, I have been told somewhere around 1915 - the 1930's.

I quite like the first example of your Dynamite boxes. The simple and elegant timber look pings for me.

Regards

Wow, what a great historical piece and i hope you hold onto it and pass it down as that's not at all comparable to what furniture companies make nowadays. I take it this expert in Australia what the man who sold you this box?

That's quite a box that ive since sold, solid wood all around with the nice burl inlay. Since building my collection, the layout is a bit inconvenient and there isn't enough room as it sits. Im looking forward to the 3rd pictures case i have arriving after John at BamaPen's is done outfitting it. Ill update my blog, so stay tuned.

#14 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hi again Brandon,

Regards

Wow, what a great historical piece and i hope you hold onto it and pass it down as that's not at all comparable to what furniture companies make nowadays. I take it this expert in Australia what the man who sold you this box?

That's quite a box that ive since sold, solid wood all around with the nice burl inlay. Since building my collection, the layout is a bit inconvenient and there isn't enough room as it sits. Im looking forward to the 3rd pictures case i have arriving after John at BamaPen's is done outfitting it. Ill update my blog, so stay tuned.

Hi again Brandon

No the 'expert' didn't sell me the box, but DID identify it. I purchased it from a father and daughter that used to have stalls at the local Penguin Market. My parents sent me the money and I paid $450 for the cabinet.
I was pleasantly surprised when I was describing it to another friend in the 'expert's shop' and before I had finished the description, he walked up and did so. Looked at a photo I had taken of it on my mobile phone and confirmed it as per the story above.

Hope you are happy with your new cabinet.
Garth

#15 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

I can't help it: every time David posts that pen chest photo I think of The Hobbit.

#16 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

Hi again Brandon,

Regards

Hi again Brandon

No the 'expert' didn't sell me the box, but DID identify it. I purchased it from a father and daughter that used to have stalls at the local Penguin Market. My parents sent me the money and I paid $450 for the cabinet.
I was pleasantly surprised when I was describing it to another friend in the 'expert's shop' and before I had finished the description, he walked up and did so. Looked at a photo I had taken of it on my mobile phone and confirmed it as per the story above.

Hope you are happy with your new cabinet.

Very nice, and a nice little investment. My new hunt begins with a antique cigar box the size of yours now Posted Image Though i doubt ill find anything with such stature as yours, and the size is uncommon as in the case of your find.

#17 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWixom, Michigan

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

Brando;

Roger W.

Posted Image

I know, i was just reminiscing on something i aw on TV, and thought the design of an ice chest, and a few modifications would make a great pen storage place, and it controls the humidity Posted Image I like the map chests, but they easily run $800+, and take up a ton of room. And well the display cases, are hard to move, and definitely take up alot of room. You say you have two floor display cases!?

I have seen Roger's display in person. This is about an 6-8' long original Sheaffers case. If you could turn to your right, you'd see more desk bases on another case. And this is all in his BASEMENT!! Imagine what it took to get that monster down into his basement! The room is awesome. Quite a sight to see. If you're a Sheaffer fan, then you would likely get the shakes being there in person. :lol: I have a 20's case like Roger's and a 3' 50's case in my upstairs study and THAT is cramping my room. Much of my finds in the wild reside in what has become my favorite staging area for pens: Those little Lane Cedar Chests they gave to high school girls for graduation gifts in the 50's and 60's. they are just the right size for pens and make for good staging but not display. I have a stack of them and grab one every time I see a reasonably priced one at the antique malls. Eventually, I'll build myself a nice display for my collection. In the meantime, the only display I actively maintain is the vintage Sheaffer cases (and a Parker International countertop display from the 60's).

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

Memberpca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png NAWCCLogo_zps4a922f0b.jpg

#18 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:22 AM

I've shown these several times, but I can't resist showing them off. I built 'em both. I've got a thing for red oak and black finishes in F.L. Wright style. :P

Posted Image

Posted Image
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#19 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

Geez, John. Might need to have you build some cases for me.

-d

Posted Image

#20 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

I've shown these several times, but I can't resist showing them off. I built 'em both. I've got a thing for red oak and black finishes in F.L. Wright style. :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

John, absolutely beautiful cases you have made for your pens!!! That big display (with glass) how many pens does a tray hold (80-100)? Also what are the dimensions on that nightstand pen storage drawer'd case?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users