• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 RichelleG

RichelleG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:29 AM

Somemof you have seen the pretty Lapis Wahl I picked up with a Swiss cheese barrel. I found a barrel a few minutes ago. Well a full pen minus the clip. If it is as clean as I believe it to be, what is a fair street value on the pen. 5 1/4" capped, will come with a choice of a fine signature or a medium manifold gold seal nib. No discoloration or brassing, the cap is in perfect condition as is the hardware that will be transplanted to the donor barrel.

Would $550 be fair?

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:53 AM

no.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 RichelleG

RichelleG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

ookkkkkk....

........can you possibly point me at a reasonable number & or why the 550 is out of line?

#4 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

ookkkkkk....

........can you possibly point me at a reasonable number & or why the 550 is out of line?

The reason $550 is out of line is the same reason that $80,000 is out of line for a 5 year old Honda Accord. It is way above the usual market price.

A Wahl-Eversharp Gold Seal Flat Top with a broken clip would probably be worth something around $100 - more or less depending on condition. For $550 you can probably buy a very nice Deco Band - a much more desirable pen (although probably not a lapis one).

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#5 RichelleG

RichelleG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I have 2 parts pens that I will transplant to create one perfect pen and one beater parts pen (missing the clip)

I'm interested in the value of the pen in very good + condition.

David N has the same pen in Coral for $650

http://www.vintagepe...Eversharp.shtml

I know there is no way I can command his sort of prices, I am only wondering where the price neighborhood begins.

#6 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I have 2 parts pens that I will transplant to create one perfect pen and one beater parts pen (missing the clip)

I know there is no way I can command his sort of prices, I am only wondering where the price neighborhood begins.

I am not a(or should that be The?) Wahl nut but I would think that a pen in Coral is more desirable than the same pen in Lapis.

#7 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

It certainly sounded like you were asking if $550 was a reasonable price to pay for the donor pen.

So you want to know what you can sell the Wahl Lapis Flat Top for - once it is fixed up?

Let's look at a few things first:

1) The Coral is more rare and desirable than the Lapis.

2) David N. is an established seller and offers guarantees on his pens, so he must have a higher price than the average hobbyist.

3) The price of $650 is an "asking price". No one has paid that for the Coral pen yet.

Bearing those things in mind, and based on what I have seen myself, your pen will probably be worth around $200-$250 once it is fixed up.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#8 RichelleG

RichelleG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

My apologies for the confusion and thanks for the help.

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

I did not misunderstand you.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#10 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:51 AM

I did not misunderstand you.

-d

I followed as well...

but my question is I thought this thing was in perfect condition, now it is very good +

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

ookkkkkk....

There are so many issues in play here.

First, you have shown contextually poor-- perhaps even deliberately misleading-- general usage of descriptors. Thus, it is hard to go forward with analysis when "stunning and jaw-dropping" for you can refer to the severity of smell found with a steaming pile of ...., rather than to a particularly nice pen.

Second, I am not comfortable with the photos you showed. Your pen might have great color, or... it might not. I am not convinced yet you know how to tell, which limits proceeding with analysis of price for the imagined pen.

Third, this model pen is notorious for finding inappropriate barrels with caps, when owners try to make whole pens, so I would need to know you didn't make a franken-pen before proceeding with analysis of price.

Fourth, since your lightly phrased "would this be fair?", cites what would be a world record price for this pen in superb shape-- and we are far from knowing that your pen is that-- it would do you good to cite your references for imagined prices. In other words, if you wish to float prices, perhaps you should present evidence of some sort to support your notion, rather than invite simple critiques.

Once we know if you have proper parts added to your pen and once we know how clean the pen and its color are, we can discuss if this is a $125 parts item or a couple hundred dollar item or what.

regards

david

Posted Image

#12 RichelleG

RichelleG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:18 AM

You guys really get off on being a dick to the new kid. Why?

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

You guys really get off on being a dick to the new kid. Why?

1. Straw Man.

2. Show some Class.

3. Are you Dennis?

5. If you want to learn, try to learn. If you want not to learn, don't pretend.
regards

david

Posted Image

#14 RichelleG

RichelleG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:38 AM

Holy crap. REALLY!

For the last time, I AM NOT MY UNCLE DENNIS!

I am learning as I am able. I'm reading everything I can & absorbing everything possible. Sorry if my descriptors are too vague for you I'll work on them.

#15 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

Hmm. I like lapis pens Posted Image

#16 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:58 AM

Hmm. I thought I did the bashing.

Edited by FarmBoy, 19 September 2012 - 03:58 AM.

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:01 AM

Hmm. I thought I did the bashing.

Hey, not "the", just "some" ;)

d

Posted Image

#18 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

Heh. As a guy looking back on a 40-year career in percussion, I'm usually the one being accused of bashing! :)

Just for grins, this was Sunday night, at a "Drum Summit" night at a local venue:

Posted Image

Ok, my derail is done. Anyone know where I can find a Lapis marimba?

#19 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:00 AM

Heh. As a guy looking back on a 40-year career in percussion, I'm usually the one being accused of bashing! :)

Just for grins, this was Sunday night, at a "Drum Summit" night at a local venue:

Posted Image

Ok, my derail is done. Anyone know where I can find a Lapis marimba?

Ohhh! I used to play the marimba back in junior high, my teacher made them in her garage Posted Image

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:31 AM

I am impressed the pen had its new barrel in place three days after the call went out.

-d

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users