• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

Whoever was the winner of this auction got a bargain in my opinion. Even with the crack, these RHR #58's are not easy to come by!

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:41 AM

Whoever was the winner of this auction got a bargain in my opinion. Even with the crack, these RHR #58's are not easy to come by!

Hi Gabriel,

While in general I try to avoid seriously flawed pens, hard to argue about this one. The nib and barrel are worth more than the price of admission, and the pen all told is a pretty place saver for less than the $3000 (my estimate. Feel free to toss other views) for an excellent example.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Nice deal pen, though some say its hard to fix RHR, i bet something could be had to repair it.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

Nice deal pen, though some say its hard to fix RHR, i bet something could be had to repair it.

Some do say it's hard to fix RHR. Do present those with expertise who say otherwise...

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

Some do say it's hard to fix RHR. Do present those with expertise who say otherwise...

-d

Well i still believe there is someway to fix it. Though im not a repair person, i dont know the techniques.

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

Well i still believe there is someway to fix it. Though im not a repair person, i dont know the techniques.

Just to clarify. You believe something but you don't know what it is exactly you believe or why you believe it?

Is that helpful to volunteer?

Can you share which reliable source conveyed to you the if/how of such a repair? Or which source at all, so that the claim can be examined?

Whether or not something can be fixed and/or how good such a fix is (for example, do you assert the crack can be removed or just filled? Do you have comments on the strength of such a fix, given the pen cracked at a stress point), no doubt are issues worthy of discussion. Volunteering "answers" for which you have no basis at all really is not helpful.

regards

david

Posted Image

#7 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

Just to clarify. You believe something but you don't know what it is exactly you believe or why you believe it?

Is that helpful to volunteer?

Can you share which reliable source conveyed to you the if/how of such a repair? Or which source at all, so that the claim can be examined?

Whether or not something can be fixed and/or how good such a fix is (for example, do you assert the crack can be removed or just filled? Do you have comments on the strength of such a fix, given the pen cracked at a stress point), no doubt are issues worthy of discussion. Volunteering "answers" for which you have no basis at all really is not helpful.

regards

david

Understandable,

Just to clarify im not expert, so dont take my repair talk seriously and ask a repairer to do such a thing, as it may make it uneconomically fair on your wallet and/or might now be able to be done at all. To get back on to your question, i was imagining something along the lines of a thin stick of RHR and melted onto the crack, and than polished over to make it look like nothing was there. By the look of the crack on this ebay pen, it looks as if it could of emerged from one of the holes to hold the clip, which IMO might make it a little harder, as the hole needs to be small and tight to accommodate the clip. This was my own opinion, and i dont know of anyone or have asked for this type of thing, so i dont know if/who can do this.

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

Understandable,

Just to clarify im not expert, so dont take my repair talk seriously and ask a repairer to do such a thing, as it may make it uneconomically fair on your wallet and/or might now be able to be done at all. To get back on to your question, i was imagining something along the lines of a thin stick of RHR and melted onto the crack, and than polished over to make it look like nothing was there. By the look of the crack on this ebay pen, it looks as if it could of emerged from one of the holes to hold the clip, which IMO might make it a little harder, as the hole needs to be small and tight to accommodate the clip. This was my own opinion, and i dont know of anyone or have asked for this type of thing, so i dont know if/who can do this.

Just to clarify... you were not accused of being an expert. As if...

Just to clarify... why would you post something you don't know you even believe and which you don't wish to be taken seriously. Was that helpful to do?

Just to clarify... how, exactly, do you propose.... melting... a stick of hard rubber.

What then, is the basis of your opinion?

It is fine to be lacking in knowledge and it is fine to ask questions, but posting imaginings and inventions as if one is giving advice does not serve you well. It's about on par with trying to do "deals" instead of learning about pens...

-david

Posted Image

#9 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:08 AM

Understandable,

Just to clarify... you were not accused of being an expert. As if...

Just to clarify... why would you post something you don't know you even believe and which you don't wish to be taken seriously. Was that helpful to do?

Just to clarify... how, exactly, do you propose.... melting... a stick of hard rubber.

What then, is the basis of your opinion?

It is fine to be lacking in knowledge and it is fine to ask questions, but posting imaginings and inventions as if one is giving advice does not serve you well. It's about on par with trying to do "deals" instead of learning about pens...

-david

I thought it might of been possible to say melt a .7mm stick of RHR and melt it like wax and drop it onto the crack, which than obviously would settle in and fill it. Ill try to stick to "what year was this pen" more so, compared to "was this a good deal?" type thread.

#10 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:35 AM

Can you share which reliable source conveyed to you the if/how of such a repair?

The same place that fixes little cracks in Doll sized pens.

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

I thought it might of been possible to say melt a .7mm stick of RHR and melt it like wax and drop it onto the crack, which than obviously would settle in and fill it. Ill try to stick to "what year was this pen" more so, compared to "was this a good deal?" type thread.

I do invite your protocol for melting the HR and explanation of the obvious result of it settling in...

regards

david

Posted Image

#12 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:50 AM

Omg, melting rhr?

Is this for real?

You have got to kidding....

#13 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

Omg, melting rhr?

Is this for real?

I dont know how they fix RHR... Care to add how it's done?

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

Omg, melting rhr?

Is this for real?

Sorry, but we cannot let you distract. You apparently don't know that (or how) anyone fixes RHR, yet this was your professed solution, not Rick's. So, why don't you add how it's done. Or, perhaps instead you can stop offering invented answers?

Too, I await your protocol for melting hard rubber.

regards

-d

Posted Image

#15 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Wow! Some amazing dialog in this thread. :blink:

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#16 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Wow! Some amazing dialog in this thread. :blink:

Yep. This is the Board where conflicts generally are not moderated away. And, as I've pointed out backchannel to friends who've toyed with squelching dialogue that seems to lack competence, there is much to be learned in the process of analyzing even unsound advice. And, then there's the meta-chat, the dialogue about dialogue...

regards

d

Posted Image

#17 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

This thread parallels the discuss of rubber repair in a thread about a very small Waterman pen. I thought we covered this there but perhaps the lesson was not clear.

While not the only lesson in that discussion, we did I believe conclude there was no good method to repair cracks in hard rubber that would add to the value of the pen in question.

Perhaps I'm confusing the public and private comment but in my opinion, there is no acceptable way to repair cracks of the nature shown that would enhance the value of the pen. This should not be confused with replacing a damaged cap lip where the repair can be made under a cap band --which is of course a completely different but related discussion.

Advice given by some of the players here should be heeded. I can assure you that the combined value of pens owned (presently and sold) by the major players in this thread easily hits the higher end of 6 figures with enough mistakes along the way to make the tuition cost here a bargain if one chooses to learn.

While the 58 in question has serious cap damage, the pen represents good value in that the parts sum to more than the purchase cost. If in doubt, determine what a replacement nib and feed would cost you then put a value on the barrel.

#18 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

Omg, melting rhr?

Is this for real?

Sorry, but we cannot let you distract. You apparently don't know that (or how) anyone fixes RHR, yet this was your professed solution, not Rick's. So, why don't you add how it's done. Or, perhaps instead you can stop offering invented answers?

Too, I await your protocol for melting hard rubber.

regards

-d

Lets stop point fingers, as i never said this and that is how you do something, but was merely suggesting how i thought it may be done.

#19 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

Hi Gabriel,

While in general I try to avoid seriously flawed pens, hard to argue about this one. The nib and barrel are worth more than the price of admission, and the pen all told is a pretty place saver for less than the $3000 (my estimate. Feel free to toss other views) for an excellent example.

regards

david

My thoughts exactly. The pen, although damaged, ended for a fair price.

#20 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

The RHR on waterman's, or most pens in general from the era, is known to be extremely fragile. I have seen black hard rubber pens where the material has been worked on so that the cracks can barely be seen, however I don't think the same can be said for RHR pens. It would be news to me to see a RHR pen such as this 58 where the crack had been repaired decently, however I'm open to such information.

-G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users