#1 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

Hi all!,

FIRST OFF, THIS PEN WILL BE SAVED FROM THE MONSTER MELTING POT, SO EVERYONE CAN RELAX, HE HE HE!

My ignorance has brought me here. Picked up this "Sheaffer's" pen in 14k, see photos. Not sure if its really a Sheaffer's, any help. I bought it for scrap, but then contacted David I. and he suggested I offer it here for I.D. first.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Update!

Boy, I sure started a great thread here; very Shakespeare in nature; To melt, or not to melt, that is the question :-)

Edited by Greg Minuskin, 27 September 2012 - 03:14 AM.

#2 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

The hallmark on the barrel looks like the Edward Todd hallmark.

Regards,
George

#3 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:18 AM

Regards,
George

Thank you! So, not Sheaffer's then. Not worth more then the gold I guess.

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

#4 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:22 AM

Greg,

Great pen! Pen P633 gives a bit of info on this pen, and i see some pens going in the $200-300 range.

http://www.pensandwa...otherpens2.html

#5 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:22 AM

I could tell by the pattern - Edward Todd. I don't collect a lot of things but, I collect both Sheaffer and Edward Todd. The symbol after the 14K is unmistakable. Edward Todd are top quality pens some lines of which were made for Tiffany from what I hear. I've got one just like this in a pencil knife set with initialed matching box.

Roger W.

Posted Image

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:26 AM

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

Loaded question.

ET pens are cherished by the small collector population that seeks them. The usual basic economics factor in... far smaller quantity of pens but far smaller collector base. I'm not convinced a gold ET is worth less than similar size common pattern gold Sheaffer. Too, unless you can assess gold without disassembling pen, I note that gold pens can have cap liner, non-full-metal barrels, and of course weight from other components.

Does this pen have 1/3 oz of 14k gold in it? Is it worth $250 in melt or as pen?

Shame to rush to melt irreplaceable gold pens, especially if looking at few dollars either way. Especially when so many pens are nibless d/t scrapping of gold nibs back in the day when pens were not so widely collected. Shame to commit penocide casually, no joke.

Here's a thread or two her eon the subject.

http://fountainpenbo...ping-gold-pens/

http://fountainpenbo...for-their-gold/

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:35 AM

Regards,
George

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

"Not worth more than the gold" is the downfall for our hobby. I'm not saying anything on you it's just that I've seen these Ebay being considered as pens for $200 when melt is say 10 grams x 56.44 x .585 (14K) = $330 (I trust Greg you know all of this but it is for others benefit) so doing the math some beautiful small pens are melting. You might get a run for your money if it had been Sheaffer as Sheaffer made very few solid 14K pens.

Roger W.

Posted Image
A Sheaffer 14K ringtop cap - note the 14K marking much less distinct than the Todd.

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

I wonder if there is even that much gold in the pen.

Points to notion that collectables hobbies are on dangerous ground when intrinsic value of materials approaches collector demand-driven value. Hell, if the Mona Lisa's paint were worth $100,000,000 some mook would melt it down...

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#9 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:42 AM

I see a Edward Todd recently went for $172, and can easily go for more fixed up. I do agree with Roger about the wrongdoing on many who melt gold nibs (and now pens!) for just the sheer sense of, "ohh look gold is almost $2,000." It's even sad to even think that money is worth more than history. Anyway's, i think this pen can easily be sold for more than scrap value to someone who would appreciate this pen, and would like to save it from being scrapped. Posted Image

#10 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:49 AM

Points to notion that collectables hobbies are on dangerous ground when intrinsic value of materials approaches collector demand-driven value. Hell, if the Mona Lisa's paint were worth $100,000,000 some mook would melt it down...

-d

Let's say it is 8 grams - surely that - still $264 and for an Ebay sale often a hard challenge to get to $200-250. Small ringtops sell to nuts like me and I am broke right now. Then again get $2,000 gold we are at $300 and the scrap buyer pays easier than finding that one collector that recognizes the rarity of these small pieces. Let's hope that collectors hold on to as much as possible and gold prices ease.

Roger W.

#11 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

Who, then, is supposed to be the guardians of history? Who is going to buy all of these 14k pens and pencils that are for the most part "worth" their price in gold, and save them from the melter? Its a matter of resource allocation - most pen collectors would rather spend $XXX amount of money on a collectible pen that is liked and appreciated, not on a pen that a). is only worth its weight in gold, b ). is rather uninteresting and boring, and c). is just sitting in a drawer gaining/loosing value based on the price of gold.

After all, how many 14k Skyline Performances can you buy to collect? Who knows, maybe this rush to scrap pens will translate to a correction in the pen market down the road... Or maybe it won't.

Regards,
George

Edited by George, 27 September 2012 - 02:52 AM.

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:54 AM

-d

Let's say it is 8 grams - surely that - still $264 and for an Ebay sale often a hard challenge to get to $200-250. Small ringtops sell to nuts like me and I am broke right now. Then again get $2,000 gold we are at $300 and the scrap buyer pays easier than finding that one collector that recognizes the rarity of these small pieces. Let's hope that collectors hold on to as much as possible and gold prices ease.

Roger W.

So then we move beyond the numbers, as the numbers are close. Seems shame to melt a pan for $260 if retail on it is $250 or more. Yah, always easier to get the melt money, but when that close seems a crime to melt a scarce and recognized old pen for an extra $10. I'd probably list the pen at my website for a bit more than $260. And yeah, I know... i can always buy it at scrap...

regards

d

Posted Image

#13 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:07 AM

Who, then, is supposed to be the guardians of history? Who is going to buy all of these 14k pens and pencils that are for the most part "worth" their price in gold, and save them from the melter? Its a matter of resource allocation - most pen collectors would rather spend $XXX amount of money on a collectible pen that is liked and appreciated, not on a pen that a). is only worth its weight in gold, b ). is rather uninteresting and boring, and c). is just sitting in a drawer gaining/loosing value based on the price of gold.

After all, how many 14k Skyline Performances can you buy to collect? Who knows, maybe this rush to scrap pens will translate to a correction in the pen market down the road... Or maybe it won't.

Regards,
George

George;

Me. I am often a guardian of history. But, you are right on resource allocation. I am currently not a guardian of such pens which "B)" is not uninteresting nor boring though beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I really like these little ringtops. Considering the price of gold if you can buy these as pens you have a real economic gain and a great piece in the collection.

Roger W.

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:09 AM

Regards,
George

No doubt. No one is obligated to deal with an object with anything other than his own financial best interest at heart. Note, that I will avoid the "rather uninteresting" aspect, as that makes some sort of general case, but to me does not apply to this pen. I routinely sell excellent grade ring top Waterman and Sheaffer metal pen in gold-filled and in silver (not even solid gold) $150-250 depending on pattern. A solid gold Edward Todd at same zone is hell of a lot more pen, from my view as collector. That of course somewhat begs the question, since no doubt there are bland and beaten gold pens out there that even I will find of only modest interest and since in the end-- again-- yes, it is the owner's right to do what he will with his pen.

I don't know that I'd want to collect many 14k Skylines, though having one in an off-document pattern (only couple have been claimed, based on prior discussions) adds charm ;) I would not mind having a smooth finish Skyline solid gold in nice shape. But, yeah, these days I won't pay the going gold price.

Another point is what all this says-- not about personal rights and/or selfishness-- but about State of the Hobby, something I touched on in the Swann Auction thread. Solid gold pens should be collectable based on scarcity now and on significance back in the day based on ridiculous cost at the time. A solid gold Balance at $100 was off putting back in the day. That today many old gold pens are hovering at or below melt value (even in these heady days of gold value) is... sad.

If gold hits $2500 oz (not unlikely), then we will be melting full size hand engraved vine pattern Wahls and Sheaffers. Those pens then will be only worth their weight in gold and boringly rolling around in the drawer...

Sad scene :(

Boys, start yer melters...

Posted Image

Start those melters...

Posted Image

Start yer melters... Gold almost is at the right price...

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

#15 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:10 AM

Regards,
George

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

"Not worth more than the gold" is the downfall for our hobby. I'm not saying anything on you it's just that I've seen these Ebay being considered as pens for $200 when melt is say 10 grams x 56.44 x .585 (14K) = $330 (I trust Greg you know all of this but it is for others benefit) so doing the math some beautiful small pens are melting. You might get a run for your money if it had been Sheaffer as Sheaffer made very few solid 14K pens.

Roger W.

Posted Image
A Sheaffer 14K ringtop cap - note the 14K marking much less distinct than the Todd.

True, run for my money; I know all too well these little gems are going to the melting pot, so sad to see them go, and I hate to see this one meet a similar fate. I do try, in ernest, save every gold pen I get, and this one seemed very special, so I am saving it. Its been Saved from the evil melting pot monster!

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

#16 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:11 AM

Regards,
George

No doubt. No one is obligated to deal with an object with anything other than his own financial best interest at heart. Note, that I will avoid the "rather uninteresting" aspect, as that makes some sort of general case, but to me does not apply to this pen. I routinely sell excellent grade ring top Waterman and Sheaffer metal pen $150-250 depending on pattern. A solid gold Edward Todd at same zone is hell of a lot more pen, from my view as collector. That of course somewhat begs the question, since no doubt there are bland and beaten gold pens out there that even I will find of only modest interest and since in the end-- again-- yes, it is the owner's right to do what he will with his pen.

I don't know that I'd want to collect many 14k Skylines, though having one in an off-document pattern (only couple have been claimed, based on prior discussions) adds charm ;) I would not mind having a smooth finish Skyline solid gold in nice shape. But, yeah, these days I won't pay the going gold price.

Another point is what all this says-- not about personal rights and/or selfishness-- but about State of the Hobby, something I touched on in the Swann Auction thread. Solid gold pens should be collectable based on scarcity now and on significance back in the day based on ridiculous cost at the time. A solid gold Balance at $100 was off putting back in the day. That today many old gold pens are hovering at or below melt value (even in these heady days of gold value) is... sad.

If gold hits $2500 oz (not unlikely), then we will be melting full size hand engraved vine pattern Wahls and Sheaffers. Those pens then will be only worth their weight in gold and boringly rolling around in the drawer...

Sad scene :(

Boys, start yer melters...

Posted Image

Start those melters...

Posted Image

Start yer melters... Gold almost is at the right price...

Posted Image

regards

david

No way to melt these puppies! What beautiful pens David! Look at the engraving! I remember having a Skyline set in 14k but all shiny, no pattern on it. this set is amazing! Your photography is the best; makes me look like I am using flash bulbs or even flash powder with candles, he he!

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

#17 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:17 AM

Vines -

Posted Image

14K in a rose gold - Sheaffer

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:23 AM

Note that none of the above pens is immune to becoming worth less than melt.

regards

david

Posted Image

#19 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:42 AM

Note that none of the above pens is immune to becoming worth less than melt.

regards

david

Interesting concept...

David, you have touched on this idea before, and I find it very interesting : If gold were to rise 3 fold, would the pen values likewise rise 3 fold? All of David's pens pictured are currently worth more than scrap value. As gold prices go up, the gap between collectible value and scrap value certainly shrinks, making even collectible, desirable solid gold pens prone to scrapping ie. when market value equals the scrap value. We have seen this occur in the market with Skyline Performance prices over the past 8 years.

Now, if gold were to go up 3 fold, I think scrapping ethics would be the least of our problems.

Regards,
George

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:58 AM

Interesting concept...

David, you have touched on this idea before, and I find it very interesting : If gold were to rise 3 fold, would the pen values likewise rise 3 fold? All of David's pens pictured are currently worth more than scrap value. As gold prices go up, the gap between collectible value and scrap value certainly shrinks, making even collectible, desirable solid gold pens prone to scrapping ie. when market value equals the scrap value. We have seen this occur in the market with Skyline Performance prices over the past 8 years.

Now, if gold were to go up 3 fold, I think scrapping ethics would be the least of our problems.

Regards,
George

I'll take a strong stand on the highlighted question.

The answer is... no.

When pens were of low value (1970's) and gold spiked, or maybe in the years preceding when gold had good value but pens really didn't, many pens lost their gold nibs.

If gold hits $3-4k, we will see the loss I suspect of most gold pens throughout the hobby. Those lovely fat 1940's Sheaffer's (plunger and TD era, though most-- all?-- with lever)? Gone. Skylines... all gone. Half gold Sheaffer Crest and Wahl Skylines? Gone. With nibs worth, what $100 then (you and Bob probably do more with pennyweight than I do), many/most pens will lose nibs. Waterman 552 1/2 LEC hand engraved, Sheraton, Smooth, whatever... gone.

No doubt collectors and dealers will try to bump prices to keep pace, and no doubt some dealers/collectors will say, "screw it, I bought it for $600, don't care if melt is $1800, it can stay in the tray with virtual value". But, most pens won't be able to keep pace and many pens will be lost. David Nishimura's comments about antique silver serving/tea sets with remarkably ornate work being melted willy nilly reflect this.

I saw it with coins back in 1979. I was a freshman in high school. The Hunt Brothers were at it. Silver hit $50, Gold hit $800. Family friend ran a big jewelry shop in town. Grandma and Aunt Bernices all across town were bringing in the coins squirreled away for decades to sell for melt. I worked after school sorting a thouaand bucks in face value silver every day for coins with numismatic value beyond melt and then dealing with sale of those items. Added some nice coins to my own collection too. But, i well recall how at the start of this an indian-head quarter-eagle ($2.50 gold coin) in lightly used condition was worth more than melt, but as gold skyrocketed the coin was reduced to melt. It was worth $180 (let's say) to collectors when gold was worth far less, but as melt value rose, there was no magic addition to collector value. Supply was same. Core demand was same. As prices bumped, demand did not rise, certainly, from the collector standpoint. The coins ended up trading largely ad bullion.

Difference for numismatists, was that bags of coins could trade as bullion (still do. You can buy $1000 face in silver pre 1965 US coins from Colorado Gold and many others), and gold coins in sleeves could trade as bullion. Many were melted, but many were traded "as melt" even though (lucky for us) they weren't physically melted. Pens will not be so lucky.

If the nuances of cachet (value in 1940, rarity today, etc) make a pen worth $500 to collectors, such a pen will not become $1400 demand just because gold rises.

regards

david

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users