12 replies to this topic

#1 WriteAway

WriteAway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNear, but not in, Syracuse, NY

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:02 AM

Parker's attempt to remake the legendary 51 with the Parker 100 failed in the marketplace. Given the understanding that the 51 is a better pen...

Were the 100's "limitations" really why it failed, or is the market for a modern "51" just not there?
What is the perception of this pen in the minds of everyone here?
Should Parker try again with an improved, more upscale version of the 100? Or a cheaper model? Or not bother?

Lots of questions only intended to launch interesting discussion.
Hubert

#2 Chaim Seymour

Chaim Seymour

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

Hi

In 2002, there was a special edition of the Parker 51 (but I think it cost over $400). The main difference was that it used cartridges. It is in my rotation but it is most certainly not an improvement on the original. It is lighter and I don't think that the plastic is as good.

The Parker 100 was bigger than the 51. It is a nice pen, but the balance and the nib are very different. It looks a bit like the 51 but does not feel like it at all.

One can still get 51s manufactured in Brazil or Argentina, but the vintage are better.

If somebody wants to market the above, good luck to them. I don't believe that there is a big market for new 51s

Chaim Seymour

Parker's attempt to remake the legendary 51 with the Parker 100 failed in the marketplace. Given the understanding that the 51 is a better pen...

Were the 100's "limitations" really why it failed, or is the market for a modern "51" just not there?
Should Parker try again with an improved, more upscale version of the 100? Or a cheaper model? Or not bother?

Chaim Seymour
David Elazar 8
Givat Shmuel 54032
Israel
tel:00972544728188

#3 Kelly

Kelly

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationS.W. Kansas

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:04 PM

For me, it came down to: A new, but lessor quality pen for ~$350 or an original but not new "51" that is a very high quality pen for ~ $100 for a nice pedestrian version. I went with the original and would every time. Now if they would have sold the 100 for around $35.00 - that would have encouraged me.

#4 WriteAway

WriteAway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNear, but not in, Syracuse, NY

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:03 AM

For me, it came down to: A new, but lessor quality pen for ~$350 or an original but not new "51" that is a very high quality pen for ~ $100 for a nice pedestrian version. I went with the original and would every time. Now if they would have sold the 100 for around $35.00 - that would have encouraged me.

I always thought the 100's price was too high. That, and the reports of finish quality/performance problems kept me away. If it had sold around the $125 range, I might have bought one. Someday, I might be able to afford both a good 51 and a 100.
Hubert

#5 pensell

pensell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:23 AM

The Parker 100 looked disproportioned. I don't know how well it wrote

#6 pensell

pensell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:35 AM

Hi

In 2002, there was a special edition of the Parker 51 (but I think it cost over $400). The main difference was that it used cartridges. It is in my rotation but it is most certainly not an improvement on the original. It is lighter and I don't think that the plastic is as good.

The Parker 100 was bigger than the 51. It is a nice pen, but the balance and the nib are very different. It looks a bit like the 51 but does not feel like it at all.

One can still get 51s manufactured in Brazil or Argentina, but the vintage are better.

If somebody wants to market the above, good luck to them. I don't believe that there is a big market for new 51s

Chaim Seymour

I think the 51 Special Edition appeared in the early 2000s and was priced at $350. The plastic was bad and many barrels cracked. Parker had to make replacements. I have one. The barrel did not crack but the threads broke off the grip section. When I called Parker, I was told that there were no more parts. [Consider this when buying anyone's special edition.]

Luckily, I found Locktite Plastic Bonder, with which I was able to "super glue" the threads back on. I didn't expect it to hold, but it's been over a month and so far, so good. [The Bonder is a two part product.]

Some people claim that this pen actually has a Parker 21 style nib and feed. I can't see any way to remove the nib & feed from the shell...it looks like it was press-fit into the shell unlike the original 51s.
For everyday use, I agree with others: Get an old 51 in good condition.

#7 jonro

jonro

journeyman

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:54 AM

I picked up a Parker 100 from Tuesday Morning when they were selling them for $99. I returned it a week later. It was a very hard starter and I didn't like it enough to put more money into getting fixed. I like the size and when the nib wrote, it was a nice writer, but I did not like the colors or the finish very much.

#8 langere

langere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:40 AM

I have two Parker 100s.  I don't use them very much lately, but I really like the colors and metal bodies.  Mine work just fine, but I do agree they were way overpriced.  I got them on sale...

Erick

#9 wolverine1

wolverine1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

Well, I bought one from Pentrace for about $65.00 about 4 or 5 years ago.. At first the pen seemed to skip a lot, and  the nib seemed to have the tines misaligned. I got frustrated enough that I was ready to throw it away. Then my friend Vivek( another regular from Pentrace)  came by to visit me, and he took the Parker 100 out of the recycling bin, and he went to work on it. He used a rubber bulb to blow out all the ink gunk that had accumulated in the feed/collector, and then he aligned the tines of the nib. 

Since then, the pen has worked perfectly, it has a wonderful smooth nib, and ink flows very well. So much so that now I am looking for a second one!!!!! :)

Edited by wolverine1, 30 December 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#10 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

I believe Parker once again has actual manufacturing happening in China. (Unless I'm mistaken.)

The Hero 100 "Parker clone" with it's gold nib is a remarkably good pen even before you add "for $30". 

Parker should get ALL the way into bed with it's Chinese friends.

Give Hero all the original blue prints for the 51 and aid them in sourcing current similar materials that meet Parker's standards. Then use Hero's

cheaper plants and labor to produce the Parker 51 by Hero for say $49.95 with a 14k nib.

If they can come as close as they did with the Hero 100 for $30, the should be able to Exactly Replicate the P-51 for $50.

That would open up The P-51 to a multitude of new users who for their own reasons shy away from used vintage pens in favor of only "new" ones.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl 

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

I believe Parker once again has actual manufacturing happening in China. (Unless I'm mistaken.)

The Hero 100 "Parker clone" with it's gold nib is a remarkably good pen even before you add "for $30". 

Parker should get ALL the way into bed with it's Chinese friends.

Give Hero all the original blue prints for the 51 and aid them in sourcing current similar materials that meet Parker's standards. Then use Hero's

cheaper plants and labor to produce the Parker 51 by Hero for say $49.95 with a 14k nib.

If they can come as close as they did with the Hero 100 for $30, the should be able to Exactly Replicate the P-51 for $50.

That would open up The P-51 to a multitude of new users who for their own reasons shy away from used vintage pens in favor of only "new" ones.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl 

Hi Bruce,

I speak with speculation, as I've never done business with a national Chinese manufacturer, but save for the gold nib, I would not be surprised if a good 51 Aerometric, with proper collector (lacking in the weak Parker 51 re-do a few years ago), could be manufactured for a couple-few bucks, depending on scale. Of course, there is multiple mark ups to retail...

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#12 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

Even Richard Binder says the fit and finish of the aforementioned H-100 closely matches that of the P-51 AND it has a "proper" metal connector.

For $30 retail.

To me that is sufficient evidence the Chinese have The Ability to REPLICATE a P-51 for $50 retail.

It is not my intention to offend any Chinese members here with my next point. If you don't like it, FIX IT, don't come after me for making the valid point.

I have some exposure to doing business with the Chinese.  They will do Anything and Everything that is Beneficial To Them that they can get away with and will try More that they won't be able to get away with if left to try, even if that is harmful to people or detrimental to the product being made. Ask Matel Toys for just the start of any needed back-up on that.

For a Hero 51 to happen would require extensive, Constant, in country, in plant QA/QC supervision by Parker to ensure that tolerances and standards were being adhered to. 

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#13 welch

welch

journeyman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

I think Hero could do it, with QA from Parker and better material. Problem for Parker, I'd guess, is that fountain pens are now a luxury product. Parker had one of the best margins of any Newell subsidiary in 2012 or so (the annual reports are on-line), but that came from selling modern Duofolds and extravantly decorated Duofolds and maybe Premiers in China.

Going back to the '70s, I believe that the Parker family chose to sell off the company when they realized that onloy the Parker 45 was selling...not the upscale P61 and P75. About the same time, Montblance dropped their less expensive lines to concentrate of the Meisterstuck 146 and 149 (maybe the cartridge / converter version, as well).

Not a happy situation, but...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users