• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

Because David said that the jewels were salvaged from single jewel pens. Junkers i meant as him taking one part, and not using the rest of the pen. Not necessarily meaning the caps are junk, just meaning the barrel may of been broken/cracked/etc, and unusable.

Barring minority exceptions, top jewels are the same on single and double jewel pens.

How do you know a pen taken apart was a junker and unusable?

regards

david

How "inexpensive" do you think you can get a P51. When David N. stated "inexpensive," Dr. Issacson, do you think it's a NOS or a broken parts pen? Let's let you answer that.

#22 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:42 AM

*facepalm , there doesn't seem to be that emoticon.

#23 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:47 AM

How "inexpensive" do you think you can get a P51. When David N. stated "inexpensive," Dr. Issacson, do you think it's a NOS or a broken parts pen? Let's let you answer that.

Sorry, son. Misdirection is not the key to salvation.

While you might be surprised how inexpensive Parker 51's can be (I'm not in the market for airplanes, but I assume you reference a pen), that really has nothing to do with the issue in play. You made a rather strong statement regarding junker pens. I merely ask you to back it up and not try to misdirect with questions whose answers in any case no doubt will surprise you.

So, how do you know donor pens for a project like this are junkers? This was , after all, your assertion.

I'd think after all these months being called out for posting unsupported claims, you'd want to go a bit gently in the grand realm of Assumption.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#24 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:50 AM

Too, Brandon, if you are going to invoke the comments or insights of others, offering a quotation of such, instead of offering a mutation of such text as yours, probably would facilitate reasonable readers' quest to tease what you are trying to say from your text.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#25 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

Hi Sloegin,

Is that what you sought? I found it for you via Google ;)

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

#26 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:54 AM

Sorry, son. Misdirection is not the key to salvation.

While you might be surprised how inexpensive Parker 51's can be (I'm not in the market for airplanes, but I assume you reference a pen), that really has nothing to do with the issue in play. You made a rather strong statement regarding junker pens. I merely ask you to back it up and not try to misdirect with questions whose answers in any case no doubt will surprise you.

So, how do you know donor pens for a project like this are junkers? This was , after all, your assertion.

I'd think after all these months being called out for posting unsupported claims, you'd want to go a bit gently in the grand realm of Assumption.

regards

david

I take it you want my opinion of how i look at a donor pen verses a fake pen? Well, as ive read, a fake pen has clear color differentials, and machining marks, as well as errors as misprints,etc. A donor pen, is well, exactly as it states. A pen which used to be something of use, but is now only used to take parts from what used to be a whole.

#27 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:57 AM

Hi Sloegin,

Is that what you sought? I found it for you via Google ;)

Posted Image

regards

david

Close. :D I was thinking something like this:
Posted Image

#28 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

I guess i can state, RIP Waterman 12 Variation thread.

#29 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

At times, this is actually painful. Far, far more painful than a facepalm.

#30 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:07 AM

At times, this is actually painful. Far, far more painful than a facepalm.

Posted Image

#31 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

That's more like it.

#32 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:19 AM

I guess i can state, RIP Waterman 12 Variation thread.

Anyone can state pretty much anything. Whether such statements have any bearing on reality is another thing. I've noted a couple times on FPB that it will be a very rare thing for threads ever to go bye-bye. Certainly the Waterman thread has plenty of merit to keep around.

regards

david

Posted Image

#33 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

That's more like it.

In the hospital setting, we enounter-- not so much "facepalm"-- but rather what we call "faceplant".

You probably don't wanna know...

-d

Posted Image

#34 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

In the hospital setting, we enounter-- not so much "facepalm"-- but rather what we call "faceplant".

You probably don't wanna know...

Probably not! I was made aware, once, of the difference in patients who are either an "O" or a "Q".

We all have to find coping mechanisms.

#35 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

Because David said that the jewels were salvaged from single jewel pens. Junkers i meant as him taking one part, and not using the rest of the pen. Not necessarily meaning the caps are junk, just meaning the barrel may of been broken/cracked/etc, and unusable.

Barring minority exceptions, top jewels are the same on single and double jewel pens.

How do you know a pen taken apart was a junker and unusable?

regards

david

My personal record low price is seventy-five cents.
I have no clue as to the meaning of the remainder of your post.

#36 Euro Vintage

Euro Vintage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

For those not familiar with the Korean faker, read David Nishimura's blog posts about him here:

http://vintagepensbl...ew-ebay-id.html

It appears the Korean Faker has a new new name, sunpawel . This first year 51 set below is very well faked. He has a lot of key details down, though not all of them.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item416c1c1ce1

Scary.

George

George (and the guys)

You are really sharp !

I logged on intending to create a post about this very item, only to see George's alarm bells already ringing loudly.

Great news for all innocent buyers out there on eBay

I would add all his recent name permutations here in case a Google search would lead buyers to this post: jeffriad, yeujeff, rttrfb and now sunpawel (Korean pen fakes)

Google his ebay names would, however, lead to David N. 's blogs first in any case.

Tri

PS: I successfully got 100% of my money back from PayPal after lodging a claim for fraud. Obviously, he has multiple accounts.

#37 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Those caps look wayy off, two totally different caps on each item.

Try again... both caps are what are called scalloped caps... a bit different from wavy line caps....
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#38 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

All I can say is he does a good job !! Lucky you experts can pick these fakes up and at least alert some to avoid this trap.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#39 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

This guy is good!
I have had at least a dozen 1st year 51s and the pics fool me. The cap is a correct 1st year cap and is a nice match contrary to another opinion. The hardest item to fake is the 4 porthole clutch ring and the hood. I can count the difference between 4 and 5 portholes but the hood difference is beyond my expertise and I would show it to someone like David Nishamura for his concurrence. The nib is also another clue there are no codes on first year nibs but it may have also been replaced during the pens lifetime.
and will be sold or traded to some unsuspecting person. Once that happens the provenenace of the pen and our knowledge of its birth are gone. It becomes legitimate to all but the very expert.

#40 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

This guy is good!
I have had at least a dozen 1st year 51s and the pics fool me. The cap is a correct 1st year cap and is a nice match contrary to another opinion. The hardest item to fake is the 4 porthole clutch ring and the hood. I can count the difference between 4 and 5 portholes but the hood difference is beyond my expertise and I would show it to someone like David Nishamura for his concurrence. The nib is also another clue there are no codes on first year nibs but it may have also been replaced during the pens lifetime.
and will be sold or traded to some unsuspecting person. Once that happens the provenenace of the pen and our knowledge of its birth are gone. It becomes legitimate to all but the very expert.

I agree on the prices. Id like to at least thing there are alot of people who know that these are fakes, but the prices are just reflecting the dis-truth from my statement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users