• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

This pen seems to have a bit of "wear" to the lasered? imprint, but every Duofold and 51 he's sold seem to have almost a matte finish on the plastic parts (notice how brilliant the caps are in comparison) as if his plastic is too soft to polish to a high gloss. Closeups even have a grainy or sanded look.

#42 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

what the hell is dis-truth?
Jerry

#43 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

Oops double dip

Edited by FarmBoy, 05 October 2012 - 01:32 AM.

#44 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

1349398659[/url]' post='18732']
what the hell is dis-truth?
Jerry

Having learned the old version of English, I too find myself struggling to understand the finer points being made by the younger crowd.
I think 'dis-truth' and 'dat-truth' are just different truths.

#45 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

I think 'dis-truth' and 'dat-truth' are just different truths.

True dat.

#46 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

I guess i can state, RIP Waterman 12 Variation thread.

Anyone can state pretty much anything. Whether such statements have any bearing on reality is another thing. I've noted a couple times on FPB that it will be a very rare thing for threads ever to go bye-bye. Certainly the Waterman thread has plenty of merit to keep around.

regards

david

Please do. It is my favorite thread thus far on this adventure we call FPB....

btw, seems a google search turned up FPB before FPN tonight.....

In other news, i know I can buy 51's that are great donor pens real cheap. I can buy good 51's fairly cheap as well. I recently got a working lathe, and with all of this education on what makes a good 51 fake versus a bad one, I am getting closer in my own evil way.

so the real meat of this post is this... as we post up what is wrong with the ebay fakes, they are getting better. just a heads up. maybe if someone wants to know, ask for the info back channel. Don't keep sharing this info. In reality... just don't buy pens from those you do not know....

Might be time for a educational Doc I eBay auction... remember that? it was quite fun... and educational.

#47 ceejaybee

ceejaybee

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

So tell me what do you see wrong with this set, I have been selling 51s to Sun for over 4 years always thought he was up and up

Can I ask if you were the seller of the "1943 Parker 51 Vacumatic Fountain Pen Set, Dove Gray, 16K GF 1st Year Cap, Rstd (#160833032509)" in July?

It would be interesting to know the style of 1st year caps the set had - that's if you were the seller and can remember - I realise you sell a lot of pens. He looks to have waited the required 90 days til the listing expired before he listed this black set, or so it appears to me. :)

#48 Euro Vintage

Euro Vintage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

Friends

As they say, "what goes around comes around"

This pen is now being offered for sale by a seller who had bought pens from the Korean faker (see his feedback here).

I would value any comments on the possibility that this pen may be tainted now that you have a perspective on the seller (who declined to reply to multiple eBay messages alerting him to the fake pens from Korea)

It may be a genuine item for all I know.

But I'd hesitate buying from someone who refused to acknowledge that they had bought fake pens.

That, in itself, suggested to me some degree of complicity followed by the willingness to pass on the fake items.

I would consider this fellow's pens as tainted until proven otherwise.

Is that a fair comment?

Regards

Tri

#49 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

Gee if it's a fake or contains any fake bits it's very good !! To the point where I'd be happy to own it regardless ( and I'd never know it wasn't "correct"). Noting not a model I know much about.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#50 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Friends

This pen is now being offered for sale by a seller who had bought pens from the Korean faker (see his feedback here).

I would value any comments on the possibility that this pen may be tainted now that you have a perspective on the seller (who declined to reply to multiple eBay messages alerting him to the fake pens from Korea)

But I'd hesitate buying from someone who refused to acknowledge that they had bought fake pens.

That, in itself, suggested to me some degree of complicity followed by the willingness to pass on the fake items.

Is that a fair comment?

Regards

Tri

I don't know this seller, but I've seen a lot of his auctions over the years and believe that he's always been legit. I don't think that you can assume that all excellent condition Duofolds that are on the market are the product of the Korean guy. What is your evidence that this particular pen is a fake? It's hard to tell about the imprint because of the filler material that's being used. So let's have the conversation about this particular pen instead of doing a shotgun approach.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#51 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

David Nishamura posted to his blog that the Korean guy appears to now be selling his parts as pen kits for assembly. To paraphrase David, this is better than before but still an issue to the hobby because the parts aren't labeled as being replicas. I agree with David, and would now classify what the Korean guy is doing to be in the same category as what Ariel Kullock is doing, creating fake parts that will eventually show up as fake pens.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

#52 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Friends

Is that a fair comment?

Regards

Tri

I can't say that I really know this seller personally, but I have purchased several pens from him over the years, and have always been happy with the results. The last pen I purchased from him, a little over a year ago, was an Eversharp Coronet with Dubonnet inserts. Knowing he has purchased from the Korean faker, however, I will be more hesitant to deal with him in the future.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#53 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

I can't say that I really know this seller personally, but I have purchased several pens from him over the years, and have always been happy with the results. The last pen I purchased from him, a little over a year ago, was an Eversharp Coronet with Dubonnet inserts. Knowing he has purchased from the Korean faker, however, I will be more hesitant to deal with him in the future.

But do we know that he purchased from the Korean faker? I would like more evidence of this and that this particular pen is a fake before damning the person, whoever he is.

John Danza

#54 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

If it is fake it would fool me and someone like Enesto or David N would need to show me where it is not real
1. Metal content is by the clip end not the barrel end. 1st year correct. Disregard statement about junker caps because nearly all 51s after first year had metal content at barrel cap end.
2. Blind cap marked correct for 1st year. Apparently
3. Cap design correct for first year
4. Clip appears to be correct for first year with large blue diamond. It is difficult to tell if there is a mirror image on inside of clip. This is critical
5. This guy has 100% feedback Doesn't make him right it just makes him 100%

There are three items left as unidentified perhaps more but these are the three that I know.
Clutch ring 4 hole or 5 hole? 4 hole is correct for 1st year
Hood I have had what I beleive to be about 6-8 first year pens and all evinced the necessary characteristics but I have never tried to discern the different hood design
Nib with no markings. None of mine had marked nibs.
I wish someone who knows would just tell us what is wrong with the set. People keep saying that it is dangerous and that the fake would then make it right. Good grief this pen set sold for over $1000. My best first year pen w/smooth sterling cap sold for $800 and it to me was way better than this set.
Jerry

#55 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

My comments are in reference to this pen, which Tri brought up today. It's the RHR Duofold Senior.I'm not referring to the previous 51s.

John Danza

#56 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

The seller of the red Duofold did buy a Parker Duofold in Mandarin yellow from the Korean faker previously, as Tri indicated in the feedback link. Of course, that doesn't really say anything about the red Duofold.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#57 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

John
I am holding the exact pen in my hand while typing this and I am with you 100%. The only issue I can see is that the barrel threads are without an ink stains, whilst the cap has stains on the inside. I might question this were the pen in my hand as I have never been able to remove the stains 100% from the barrel threads.
Jerry

#58 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

He is now selling "reproduction parts" A Jr Duofold on ebay. I am tempted to buy this pen just to seewhat he does and how they look material wise. I seem to recall Mike Fultz lamenting about the inability to find the correct material in mandarin nor do I recall Lynn Sorgatz have a direct replacement either.
Jerry

#59 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Jerry, I'll send you a private note.

The reason his feedback is currently 100% positive is that this was until recently purely a buying account. When he began to get exposed as a fraudster under his selling account's user name, he first laid low, then began to sell using his former buying account. He's only sold a few items so far, and only one (the 51 set) is clearly fake.

#60 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

David Nishamura posted to his blog that the Korean guy appears to now be selling his parts as pen kits for assembly. To paraphrase David, this is better than before but still an issue to the hobby because the parts aren't labeled as being replicas. I agree with David, and would now classify what the Korean guy is doing to be in the same category as what Ariel Kullock is doing, creating fake parts that will eventually show up as fake pens.

The Korean faker is going well beyond what Ariel has done, for he has put fake Parker imprints on his barrels. As I noted in my blog post, I wish Parker were as aggressive in defending their trademarks as Montblanc. Openly selling Parker-marked components that are not Parker-made is a pretty flagrant breach of eBay's terms, but someone with standing to complain has to speak up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users