• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

My Father got lucky on Ebay and got a Parker bakelite for around $70 a few months ago. In the auction, you couldn't tell it was a bakelite at all. Ever since then he's been slowly trying to accumulate more bakelite pens, I guess he likes the "Demonstrator Look" they appear to have. So far he's acquired two eyedropper Parkers, and one Waterman #56 eyedropper in bakelite.

Did other pen companies make bakelite pens?
Feel free to share your bakelite pens. Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

I only have a couple. The first is a Model 24 button filler, which is a scarce variant because it defeats the "demonstrator" effect. The second is a Model 71 Baby.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#4 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

Are the caps Bakelite as well? They look like they could be hard rubber in the pictures.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Are the caps Bakelite as well? They look like they could be hard rubber in the pictures.

Hi,

Yep. The caps are the expected hard rubber.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Here is mine to add;

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

Hi,

regards

david

Very true, and the rare clear celluloid Parkers for the most part had hard rubber caps and blind caps. However, I've seen one example of the celluloid that also had a celluloid cap, blind cap, and washer clip screw at the top of the cap.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#8 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

Hi,

regards

david

Very true, and the rare clear celluloid Parkers for the most part had hard rubber caps and blind caps. However, I've seen one example of the celluloid that also had a celluloid cap, blind cap, and washer clip screw at the top of the cap.

Was it a demo?

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:37 AM

Of note, the Bakelite-barrel catalogued pens are a class unto themselves, and AFAIK, all have rubber caps. Celluloid clear barrelled LC or Duofold pens are ill defined, so far (AFAIK) uncatalogued, and perhaps falling into Demonstrator category, as per our DEMO Duofold chat. Suspect we ought not to lump this with the Bakelite pens, unless I miss something. Here is the celluloid DF chat.

http://www.fountainp...d-demonstrator/

regards

d

Posted Image

#10 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

Here is mine to add;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Why are many of your pens disassembled?

As a cautionary note, Bakelite tends to be brittle. Perhaps an artifact of the photo but your barrel appears to have a chip in the threaded edge.

#11 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Here is mine to add;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Why are many of your pens disassembled?

As a cautionary note, Bakelite tends to be brittle. Perhaps an artifact of the photo but your barrel appears to have a chip in the threaded edge.

It's actually the only photo ive taken with the pen disassembled. but ill let you say what you want....

Also yes, the barrel and section were very tight, and not exactly knowing the way of the threads, it chipped a little bit. But i now have some silicone grease, so that wont be happening again.

#12 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

One should exercise great care when dis-assembling the section from the barrel. Bakelite is only one of the brittle materials that pens were consturcted from plus some were affixed with various adhesives that respond to only heat. Be very careful grasshopper as the value of that pen dropped precipitously with the damage done.
Jerry

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

It's actually the only photo ive taken with the pen disassembled. but ill let you say what you want....

Also yes, the barrel and section were very tight, and not exactly knowing the way of the threads, it chipped a little bit. But i now have some silicone grease, so that wont be happening again.

Basically you murdered a high-cachet pen. Next time you get an pen that actually is a pretty good one, maybe let a pro tweak it first...

regards

d

Posted Image

#14 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

Basically you murdered a high-cachet pen. Next time you get an pen that actually is a pretty good one, maybe let a pro tweak it first...

regards

d

I will. The only reason i took it apart, was because i wanted to view the Parker feed, as i know early Parkers used that type of feed.

#15 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

regards

d

I will. The only reason i took it apart, was because i wanted to view the Parker feed, as i know early Parkers used that type of feed.

So you removed the nib as well?

I'm sorry to hear the barrel chipped on you, I'd hesitate to open such a pen. Removal of the nib should only really be done if absolutely necessary, which it rarely is.

#16 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

The only reason i took it apart...

Reasons are irrelevant. Screwing around with a valuable object when you don't know what you are doing is just... really not smart. That's a very expensive and heart-breaking lesson.

#17 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

Reasons are irrelevant. Screwing around with a valuable object when you don't know what you are doing is just... really not smart. That's a very expensive and heart-breaking lesson.

That small chip hurts the value how much? IMO not much, but i seem to be wrong around here... this pen will be traded with an early Parker collector for one of his vintage one of a kind pens.

#18 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

That small chip hurts the value how much? IMO not much, but i seem to be wrong around here... this pen will be traded with an early Parker collector for one of his vintage one of a kind pens.

I'd say significant hit on value. The pen is rare and many will not have an example and be willing to take one with damage but it is a significant ding on value.

If it were a common pen it would already be in the parts bin.

Todd

#19 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

Consider roughly a reduction of 50% The chip cannot be repaired without it being visible. Believe me when a collector is looking to buy this pen they will use a 10p loupe with an led light. The crack will show they will also run their fingernail in the id of the pen barrel (id means inner diameter) the repair will be felt. Your fingernail is very sensitive believe it or not. Of course the pen had a Lucky Curve feed. Standard offering and Parkers early claim to fame. Perhaps you just wanted to see if the feed was broken? Please do heed the sage advice of those before my post that suggest you send it to a pro or just leave it alone and if you trade it perhaps the next owner can make the discoveries. I do too sincerely doubt that any "early Parker collector" will trade a one of a kind for your pen without signifcant funds going thier way. I have had 6 Waterman #20, 5 JG Riders, can't remember how many Lebouefs, several Patricians a Parker Giant but I have never owned a Parker Baby. You were fourtunate to possess one in nice condition. You seem to have no problem posting here. Look before you leap and ye shall learn.
Jerry

#20 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

That small chip hurts the value how much? IMO not much...

This statement speaks volumes. Whatever amount in raw dollars have just been lopped off the financial value of the pen (and I would imagine not insignificant), your totally adolescent disregard for the intrinsic value of a rare and sought-after product, for the sheer quality of its unique and individual attributes, is a slap in the face to people who do value these things.

Time to grow up.

Edited by JonSzanto, 10 October 2012 - 03:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users