• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

Indeed -- it would be much simpler if production changes followed each other in neat order along a single timeline!

As for Pensee's sleeve-filler, the cap proportions look OK from here. Sometimes you'll run across one where the cap doesn't post properly, or where you can see threads or traces of removed threads inside the cap. The nib is most likely a slightly later replacement. That imprint is indeed usually associated with the 1920s, but pinning down a more precise date is yet another task yet to be done.

Speaking of pinning down dates, I've done a bit of that for Waterman c. 1908 in a new post here-- including dating the 1908 catalog's release to early October of that year.

#22 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Indeed -- it would be much simpler if production changes followed each other in neat order along a single timeline!

As for Pensee's sleeve-filler, the cap proportions look OK from here. Sometimes you'll run across one where the cap doesn't post properly, or where you can see threads or traces of removed threads inside the cap. The nib is most likely a slightly later replacement. That imprint is indeed usually associated with the 1920s, but pinning down a more precise date is yet another task yet to be done.

Speaking of pinning down dates, I've done a bit of that for Waterman c. 1908 in a new post here-- including dating the 1908 catalog's release to early October of that year.

That's probably my problem in tackling such a challenging subject. Lack of nice neat timelines sometimes makes me despair of *ever* quite understanding the vagaries of Waterman history from "fin de siècle" to mid 20's.

Example: Could digress into puzzling why coin filler (c. 1913-14?) appears to be introduced *after* & alongside sleeve filler (c. 1910-1915? ) when the former would seem to be a more stopgap engineering design & the latter a more eloquent solution. (And-- I might add-- as collector who has only html boards as resources-- *very* disturbing to read fake coin fillers on market.)

So thanks for link to your blog. More sources of information a real help and will hopefully prevent embarrassing repeats of original 100's place question-- one that I'd lost track of during my hiatus.

My Own Questions from 2010

Thanks for your patience!

--Bruce

#23 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Bruce,

Don't know if you have received answers to all your questions from 2010, but if you haven't, perhaps a couple of topics I started below might help. Check out "Waterman's Ripples" and "Waterman's 94 Collection" in this forum. They are just below this topic, since I posted them a few days ago.

Regards,
Allan

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#24 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

Bruce,

Don't know if you have received answers to all your questions from 2010, but if you haven't, perhaps a couple of topics I started below might help. Check out "Waterman's Ripples" and "Waterman's 94 Collection" in this forum. They are just below this topic, since I posted them a few days ago.

Regards,
Allan

That's odd. Thought I replied yesterday, but ISP connection iffy sometimes.

Been following your posts, but wouldn't have anything meaningful to add. "Nice pens!" or the self evident "Allan. You have a 3 sided triangle! Wow!"

Meanwhile have decided shotgun approach to Waterman Hx is schitzoid & unproductive.

So.... Revised goals.

1.) establish stop date for spoon feed for purpose of eventually obtaining example of early 412 in fine silver. One source writes narrow feed gone by 1901; another 1903

2.) establish approximate dates of nibs & what appear to be different designs as well as imprints (Unremunerative to spend money on pens that have replacement parts from different time periods if want 'authentic' examples.)

3.) establish better knowledge of numbering/lettering system prior to 1917.

4.) establish number of models of pens in one pattern for now-- “trefoil/ivy”

(Known models don’t have yet appear to be: checkbook pen, coin filler, early lever filler, eye dropper w/threaded cap, 442, & 4521.)

Project will doubtless take years if not lifetime, but that's the fun of it.

And yes, 4 follow-up questions straying away from original question, but has advantage of not cluttering up forum with too many topics!

thx

--Bruce

1 should add, *was* there such an animal as 452 in this pattern after 1917 but before 1923/24?

Edited by Pensee, 18 October 2012 - 03:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users