#21 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

Thank you!

I love the public resource of the Waterman numbering system, and ill do a little bit more self-teaching using that. Regarding un-authorized sharing of pictures without permission, i dont do very often, and when i do i try my best to remember who the image is from and to ask to use the image. I truly dont want to be known as someone who every image someones shares with me over email, PM, etc; who would be publishing it in a book with no prior acknowledgement to the photographer, as a photographer myself, id hate for that to happen.

My goal in the hobby is to learn what i can about some smaller brands as well as digest as much as i can about Parker and Waterman, not to forget at least have some surface knowledge on Sheaffer, etc. I also want trust to be able to sell something for what it is, and to get over that this pen could be worth this if this is done to it. Obviously we'd all like are items to be worth x, but it just aint always going to happen. I also need to learn more regarding custom pens, and soon enough (car...) ill be driving down to see a pen turner who ive collaborated with over the last year, and ill be meeting in person with him to design a pen and ill be contributing some other aspects to the project, cant share to much.

Id also like to get some basic repairs down, (i think it's the easiest, but still haven't done it)) putting a sac on, fixing pistons, and for sure buffing and polishing a pen. Alot to learn, and i truthfully need someone who will able to take my sarcasm, and smart-alike remarks, though when im doing business, those are few and far between i believe. Someone who can teach me what they've learned over the years, and pass on to someone who will be able to care, cherish, and pass on the lasting memories in which i learned from these experts.

Admirable.

And, if true... it is approachable.

Most of my suggestions above stand.

While this Board is dedicated to answering the most basic questions along with (we hope) challenging questions. But, use of resources already out there is a good thing. I do suggest you scan David Nishimura and Richard Binder's website reference sections. For restoration, get Marshall's book. There might be new edition about out. Buy a bunch of junkers and have some fun trying to do sacs and nib/feed tweaks. That will serve you better than trying to do deals. Enjoy browsing ebay to learn prices of a sort, without worrying about whether you think you could flip the pen, if it arrived intact. Don't pretend to own pens you don't own. Don't fail to sell pens you put at auction. And so forth.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#22 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

Thank you!

I love the public resource of the Waterman numbering system, and ill do a little bit more self-teaching using that. Regarding un-authorized sharing of pictures without permission, i dont do very often, and when i do i try my best to remember who the image is from and to ask to use the image. I truly dont want to be known as someone who every image someones shares with me over email, PM, etc; who would be publishing it in a book with no prior acknowledgement to the photographer, as a photographer myself, id hate for that to happen.

My goal in the hobby is to learn what i can about some smaller brands as well as digest as much as i can about Parker and Waterman, not to forget at least have some surface knowledge on Sheaffer, etc. I also want trust to be able to sell something for what it is, and to get over that this pen could be worth this if this is done to it. Obviously we'd all like are items to be worth x, but it just aint always going to happen. I also need to learn more regarding custom pens, and soon enough (car...) ill be driving down to see a pen turner who ive collaborated with over the last year, and ill be meeting in person with him to design a pen and ill be contributing some other aspects to the project, cant share to much.

Id also like to get some basic repairs down, (i think it's the easiest, but still haven't done it)) putting a sac on, fixing pistons, and for sure buffing and polishing a pen. Alot to learn, and i truthfully need someone who will able to take my sarcasm, and smart-alike remarks, though when im doing business, those are few and far between i believe. Someone who can teach me what they've learned over the years, and pass on to someone who will be able to care, cherish, and pass on the lasting memories in which i learned from these experts.

Admirable.

And, if true... it is approachable.

Most of my suggestions above stand.

While this Board is dedicated to answering the most basic questions along with (we hope) challenging questions. But, use of resources already out there is a good thing. I do suggest you scan David Nishimura and Richard Binder's website reference sections. For restoration, get Marshall's book. There might be new edition about out. Buy a bunch of junkers and have some fun trying to do sacs and nib/feed tweaks. That will serve you better than trying to do deals. Enjoy browsing ebay to learn prices of a sort, without worrying about whether you think you could flip the pen, if it arrived intact. Don't pretend to own pens you don't own. Don't fail to sell pens you put at auction. And so forth.

-d

I hope you dont mind,

But being a student, and always trying to get below retail for future resale, i dont exactly find it economical for me to do so. Im not trying to tell you off, please not get that instinct, it's just not something i find to be entirely wise. Something like a handful of 52's might be better, but ill be sure to take my time, as i know many resellers like to resac a pen before selling it. I apologize that i may of put a bad taste in anyone's mouth, sorta speak.

#23 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:54 AM

I hope you dont mind,

But being a student, and always trying to get below retail for future resale, i dont exactly find it economical for me to do so. Im not trying to tell you off, please not get that instinct, it's just not something i find to be entirely wise. Something like a handful of 52's might be better, but ill be sure to take my time, as i know many resellers like to resac a pen before selling it. I apologize that i may of put a bad taste in anyone's mouth, sorta speak.

I don't mind at all. But, being an (arguable) adult who has some experience with this hobby, I hope you don't mind my saying , I believe you are setting yourself up for failure, or at least making longer your period of training. The books are everything. Starting on cheap pens is economical. There is an old expression, "penny wise and pound foolish", the pound of course not referring to weight.

Too, it is not clear you are having great success buying below retail, though time might change that. And, buying true junkers for practice has nothing to do with retail. You can get junkers for $5 to play with.

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#24 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

I wish I could post questions that garner this much comment (and/or wise-crackery, which I thoroughly enjoy).

Perhaps I should learn to be more vague while implying authoritative knowledge...

Tim
(Being a vague authority kinda sounds fun, actually.)

Well, lets trade, as id like to learn and gather new incite on brands, models, etc. I guess pen people in particular dont like to be questioned from an outside the box type context.

The reason for my new schedule, is that i now have 3 jobs, my new job taking a good 30-40 hours from my week, leaving only 1-2 hours during the week for me to email, message,etc. Different days, different hours.

IN another thread you have stated you were in high school and were 16 years old. You now state that you will have a new job taking 30-40 hours away from your week. Does this mean you are going to be working 30-40 more hours a week?

#25 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

I do suggest you scan David Nishimura and Richard Binder's website reference sections.

I don't know the details, and have no affiliation, but it is worth mentioning that within the last week or two Richard Binder announced that his reference is available in a format for iPad (and maybe other readers?). That would be a fine thing to have on hand if you are electronically enabled.

Edited by JonSzanto, 11 October 2012 - 03:01 AM.

#26 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

I hope you dont mind,

I don't mind at all. But, being an (arguable) adult who has some experience with this hobby, I hope you don't mind my saying , I believe you are setting yourself up for failure, or at least making longer your period of training. The books are everything. Starting on cheap pens is economical. There is an old expression, "penny wise and pound foolish", the pound of course not referring to weight.

Too, it is not clear you are having great success buying below retail, though time might change that. And, buying true junkers for practice has nothing to do with retail. You can get junkers for $5 to play with.

regards

d

Thanks,

I appreciate the expression, and will learn from it. Just like last year i learned the phrase "when s*** hits the fan" and have since understood what it's meant, and was another learning literature lesson. Not going to argue any more than we have to, but you are right, and i didn't think of it too much, junk lots will sell for a bit more even with an amateur pen repair men (myself) trying his hardest to make a non working pen, work. Posted Image So there's my practice, though i wont be buying for resale until i can resell again

#27 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:12 AM

I wish I could post questions that garner this much comment (and/or wise-crackery, which I thoroughly enjoy).

Perhaps I should learn to be more vague while implying authoritative knowledge...

Tim

Well, lets trade, as id like to learn and gather new incite on brands, models, etc. I guess pen people in particular dont like to be questioned from an outside the box type context.

The reason for my new schedule, is that i now have 3 jobs, my new job taking a good 30-40 hours from my week, leaving only 1-2 hours during the week for me to email, message,etc. Different days, different hours.

IN another thread you have stated you were in high school and were 16 years old. You now state that you will have a new job taking 30-40 hours away from your week. Does this mean you are going to be working 30-40 more hours a week?

Posted Image

Edited by brando090, 11 October 2012 - 03:14 AM.

#28 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

I do suggest you scan David Nishimura and Richard Binder's website reference sections.

I don't know the details, and have no affiliation, but it is worth mentioning that within the last week or two Richard Binder announced that his reference is available in a format for iPad (and maybe other readers?). That would be a fine thing to have on hand if you are electronically enabled.

Correct, i did see that. Sadly, im not an Apple fanboy, and dont have an iPad. Too bad he doesn't release it in an email for $5...

#29 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

Pretty sure that doesn't help you make your case...

-d

Posted Image

#30 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:22 AM

Pretty sure that doesn't help you make your case...

-d

The emoticon...

#31 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:24 AM

Tim

Posted Image

Let me ask you the question again and possibly you will answer it clearly rather than post a smiley.

Hopefully you will have the integrity to answer the question that might make improvements in how people see you on this board.

#32 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

Tim

Posted Image

Let me ask you the question again and possibly you will answer it clearly rather than post a smiley.

Hopefully you will have the integrity to answer the question that might make improvements in how people see you on this board.

Well, i deeply appreciate the sincere last sentence Posted Image And yes, im 16, and a junior, have high hopes to go to MIT, and i got 3 jobs, my newest working at my older brothers ex-job (he moved to the other side of the state) at a pizza place.

#33 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

Well, i deeply appreciate the sincere last sentence Posted Image And yes, im 16, and a junior, have high hopes to go to MIT, and i got 3 jobs, my newest working at my older brothers ex-job (he moved to the other side of the state) at a pizza place.

No joke, you will need to learn to write with better spelling and syntax to apply to even a typical school, never mind atypical.

regards

d

Posted Image

#34 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

Sadly, im not an Apple fanboy, and dont have an iPad.

Hehe, same here. Well, it was a thought.

#35 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:40 AM

Sadly, im not an Apple fanboy, and dont have an iPad.

Hehe, same here. Well, it was a thought.

My parents did buy a Google Nexus 7, pretty nice. I was looking at the HTC tablet when it came out last October, buy $800, im not sure who was their marking director. Posted Image

#36 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:40 AM

No joke, you will need to learn to write with better spelling and syntax to apply to even a typical school, never mind atypical.

regards

d

Wow, thanks.

#37 Euro Vintage

Euro Vintage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

I recognize his patterns as well but he did identify the model in his opening post as a Waterman 404 that is a pretty good start, there are a dozen or more patterns but he had not seen the pen so I will excuse him for that. It is just the post doesn;t make any sense to begin with. Some vague reference to a friend with a 404 and an abrupt new schedule. Get the pen or see the pen, then post and describe the pen and its attributes 40 years ago I had an FFL Federal Firearms License and passed on a pair of dueling pistols tha George Washington had owned, certainly not newsworthy or a meanigful post. I passed on them but actually held them just couldn't part with the $10,000 asking price. I had the funds just couldn't pull the trigger, to coin a phrase. My point is he has nothing to report just writing to blather with no substance.
Jerry

What the hell !

I burst out laughing reading this comment.

That, in itself, is worth something.

Whether it should be on a pen forum or in a Friday night comedy show, I am not so sure.

Come to think of it, I am looking for the pen the Ike signed the D Day proclamation with.

Someone told me it was a ... I forgot it now, too busy with my work.

When you know it, let me know too

Tri

#38 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Wow, thanks.

This is a surprise?

Coherent presentation in writing, with tight syntax and grammar, is but the knock on the door for college. The first "would of done that" and you are toast. Buy Strunk and White and buy Word Power Made Easy, and make them your bible the next couple years.

-d

Posted Image

#39 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:57 AM

Tim

Posted Image

Thank you, now kindly answer whether this means you will be working 30-40 more or are presently working 30-40 hours a week. Clarity is a good thing when discussing things with people. And if you would like to share what state you live in, that would be good also.

Remember something and this is very important. You want to sell pens and buy pens in this community. Integrity is everything in this small community. People have long memories of instances past. In addition, cockiness to adults from youth is something you might get away with family and friends and face to face, but if you are trying to build a reputation especially with adults, there is a time and place for that cockiness. Remember, almost everyone is a potential customer if you want to sell pens.

#40 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

And yes, im 16, and a junior, have high hopes to go to MIT

If you want to get into MIT you need to:

Get a near perfect or perfect SAT score (I think the median SAT at MIT is around a 2350 out of 2400).
Perfect Math and Physics SAT II's
Take the highest level courses offered at your high school
Have a good relationship with a teacher who can write an amazing recommendation letter
Be a state/national/ international something or other (Music, Math/Science, Debate etc).
Write outstanding essays for the application that are unique and interesting (in one of mine I wrote about the Parker 51).

This is pretty much the only way to get into that caliber school now, and even then, it's not a guarantee.

Regards,
George

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users