#41 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:39 AM

And yes, im 16, and a junior, have high hopes to go to MIT

If you want to get into MIT you need to:

Get a near perfect or perfect SAT score (I think the median SAT at MIT is around a 2350 out of 2400).
Perfect Math and Physics SAT II's
Take the highest level courses offered at your high school
Have a good relationship with a teacher who can write an amazing recommendation letter
Be a state/national/ international something or other (Music, Math/Science, Debate etc).
Write outstanding essays for the application that are unique and interesting (in one of mine I wrote about the Parker 51).

This is pretty much the only way to get into that caliber school now, and even then, it's not a guarantee.

Regards,
George

Don't forget be honest and have integrity.

#42 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Don't forget be honest and have integrity.

I hear that helps.

Regards,
George

#43 Tennpen

Tennpen

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Wow, thanks.

This is a surprise?

Coherent presentation in writing, with tight syntax and grammar, is but the knock on the door for college. The first "would of done that" and you are toast. Buy Strunk and White and buy Word Power Made Easy, and make them your bible the next couple years.

-d

A real world example and slightly tangential support for David's position:

http://www.huffingto..._n_1937902.html

#44 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Bran:
That last post of yours was just too profound for me to absorb.
David has given you some sage advice. Heed it and do it swiftly
Your behavior with the pictures was reprehensible as well as unethical. Did you actually think about what you wrote?
snip: i dont do very often, and when i do i try my best to remember who the image is from and to ask to use the image WHAT! Grasshopper the correct response is I never do it. Frank Dubiel in his book wrote "the pen collecting fraternity is small word travels fast" Words for you to pay attention to. BTW grab his book from Pendemonium for about $20 I am sure you can afford that. I for one love to trade pens but I am unsure if I would ever trade with you, you seem never to finish the deal or make a ridiculous offer say a Sheaffers Cadet and a jade green small Shaeffers flat top for my Parker Combo. Brandon you must really get up to speed. Or perhaps you think I am such a newbie that I would have jumped at that deal

Your posts are mostly without merit. Below is your sage advice to a newcomer. Why would you even write that? Do your years of experience qualify you to make that statement?
Dont be too afraid of vintage pens, only vintage pens can you get true flex, and that flex is not something you'll find on modern pens. An average repair is $35, and more complicated repairs can be $50, $75 to $500. But those last few number you can forget about, because i doubt you'll be sending in a repair of something that's broken. Why would you even write that? Do your years of experience qualify you to make that statement? Bran many modern pens have wonderfully flexible nibs I have owned dozens of them and carried them as I am left handed but love a flexible nib for nearly everything I write.
Yet another from you. refrence a jewelers overlay Waterman ripple
What a beautiful pen! I think the overlay is Italian, but i would have to see from holding the pen and inspecting it. The geometry looks somewhat familiar from the Italian Continental overalys, but nothing exact can be said until someones has better pictures. Did you just become an expert on Italian overlays. Do you think that a closer inspection of this pen would tell you that it is of Italian origin? I personally would not say that and only if the statement came from David Nishamura would I take it to the bank.
Let me repeat my suggeston to take Davids advice to heart and stop shooting from the hip about things of which you have zero knowledge.
Jerry

#45 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

Aaaah,

Amateurish but shady teenage entrepreneur trying to con the adults with false swizzle and faux- erudite shazam ( and an odd syntax structure) while offering up the highest life aspirations.

What an entertaining thread this is.

Thank you Bran, even if clearly not your intent to amuse.

#46 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

Oh Please! Are we so interested in this troubled poster that practically not one topic can go by without another round of "lets teach brando90 a lesson." I love this forum because all the great collectors are on here--and it is about vintage pens only, but with this constant barrage of insults, "pointers" and other things, I am not inclined to go here as often as I would.

#47 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

Oh Please! Are we so interested in this troubled poster that practically not one topic can go by without another round of "lets teach brando90 a lesson." I love this forum because all the great collectors are on here--and it is about vintage pens only, but with this constant barrage of insults, "pointers" and other things, I am not inclined to go here as often as I would.

Will...

Life is about trade offs and balance. There are boards out there that indeed will be happy to squelch conversation on whim, and at some of those boards the conversation that will be squelched one day might be yours. This Board was founded for a more open approach, and moderation here is done with a very light touch indeed. That light touch allows for open conversation and allows for many perspectives. You, for example, are of course allowed to post your ire about a thread. You are of course allowed to choose to play on other boards if you prefer. But, let's explore what some of those other places you might be inclined to play are like.

I did a quick search for Brano090 at Fountain Pen Network. He is listed as "away" not as a member. I don't know if this means he is suspended or banned, but the irony of course if one of those is the case, is that Brandon is playing here... in part because he cannot play there. Furthermore the first quote I could find on FPN regarding Bradnon was this one..

I agree with carroll. As someone who has received and given away pens on this forum I think we need to get back on topic. Our 14 year old friend has proven his immaturity in his unrealistic belief that someone will give him a Visconti simply because he asked for it. His memory lapse concerning his request for a Homo Sapien is silly and doesn't deserve any furhter comment from us. I think the moderator should delete all of these postings just like he did the last time Brandon posted here.

So, apparently, at FPN, not only did Brandon get some grief , but there was a hefty history there apparently of that board actually removing/censoring his posts, due to-- it seems-- similar behavior to what is being observed here.

So, to play this out. Here, Brandon's posts have not been removed. At the Bigger Board, they have been. Here Brandon is a member in good standing. I'm not sure his "away" status at the Bigger Board indicates the same there. You really believe you'll have a happier time there than here? Or, are you suggesting we suspend Brandon from posting here, which no doubt would give the result you seek, less "bashing" of him on the Board? Would you be doing him a favor? Are you really inclined to play somewhere else that has created the environment you like by censoring him? If so, then maybe their way really is better ;)

What do you think?

Furthermore, threads of this sort probably are one in fifty, if not less frequent still. How hard is it to skip a thread that doesn't interest you. Would you like to be the arbiter of censorship here? Hell, I have the *delete* button here. I can censor anything here, and I have some food for thought for you.... It's not so much fun and it has been used very lightly indeed.

So, it is fine to voice an opinion. But I do suggest you consider that the reason some chats of this sort evolve here is because they are allowed to.

You might want to read the thread. There probably are a hundred years of combined serious pen collecting experience here. I can appreciate that you might see kindred spirit in a fellow kid getting bounced around a bit by a Big System, but when I, and Rick Krantz and Jerry Adair and others take time to give advice (vs just Banning the kid) in the context of worry about what might be an evolving crook, you might wish to consider why all of us are making these comments.

And, finally, my own view is that this conversation has great merit for those who care about the philosophy of pen collecting and about business ethics in general. There is a lot to learn here, even if simply it is the pointing out of a bad example.

So, Will... if i were to promote you to a Board Moderator, would you prefer we ban Brandon from posting, with the result that we'll have a more bland Board like the Bigger Board, or would you prefer to let him stay here, to post what he will, with the result that he gets honest feedback from people with real wisdom in this hobby, serving also to teach those who want to learn, allowing all those without interest of course simply not to read the thread.

This Board is fairly new, is still in the process of evolving, and I am amenable to a variety of inputs. So... do you want a free-for-all of ideas, or do you want me to eliminate members who lead to contentious conversation?

What do you want? Seriously.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#48 Tennpen

Tennpen

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:46 AM

In answer to David's question "What do you want? Seriously." here is my perspective as a very new FPB member, and an FPN member for about 6 years. FPN was, and is, a pretty good place for people new to fountain pens. You can learn a lot, partly from the large number of newbies, and also some very dedicated old timers. After the newness wears off though, there is not much room for open discussion, and certainly not for open disagreement.

Questioning the powers that be is risky. I have not been banned, but saw it happen often enough to see the pattern. Banning is also the rapid consequence of anyone who rouses the members, such as Brando090. "Away" is the euphemism used though. Apparently "banning" is too disruptive a label. I was heavily into a thread that included Brando090, in which he was attempting to sell what looked like floor sweeping pencil stubs and disposable ballpoints, at exorbitant "appraised" values. As soon as the moderator caught on, the thread was terminated, a bunch of posts disappeared, and Brando090 went "away". He lasted just over 30 days. For a while, I thought this was for the best. After some reflection, I began to think it was a shortsighted approach, as it erased what could still be a great example of what constitutes bad behavior on a board. It made no real attempt to educate the main offender. Also, it made perfectly clear that the FPN world view was that there is no disagreement, which is simply not realistic. About that time, FPN became pretty unappealing to me.

Through some perverse karmic twist of common interests, I found my path crossing Brando090's again, at a couple of audio and other boards, FPG, and most recently here at FPB. Based on what I've seen, his behavior, ethical sense, reading comprehension, and fluency in English, have not improved at all. That is in itself, frustrating, as I would hope to see someone with as much guidance as he has received learn something meaningful. That hasn't happened yet.

However, it might still happen. A surprising number of people here continue to offer advice and opinions based on years of experience and very dedicated study. My preference would be to get that knowledge without the background noise present from Brando090, but the knowledge is still valid in any case. Some optimistic streak in me hangs on to the notion that one day, the light might go on, and Brando090 will begin to understand how much he does not know.

Whether that happens or not, I have a free choice about which threads and posts I read. Any that I don't like can be skipped. No one is forcing me to participate. I admit to some perverse curiosity at times, kind of like watching a train wreck in progress. But, no one makes me watch train wrecks either if I don't want to.

I feel pretty strongly that David's stated goal for FPB is correct. Not always palatable, but it is the healthy choice in the long run. Frankly, I also have a lot of sympathy for anyone trying to moderate a group with that kind of goal. It is damn hard to do. For about four years I ran a local horse riding club. When I got involved the club mentality was highly divisive, and totally non-productive as a group. I made it a point to make sure that any member who thought they had something to say at board meetings had a chance to do so. They also had to accept responsibility for and defend what they said, which was sometimes much more difficult than they expected. Eventually the noise makers wore themselves out, and either left, or started listening more than talking.

So, I think having open discussions is for the best. I can participate or not. Just like listening to the radio on the way home from work, if I don't like what I am hearing, I can turn it off, or change stations. Or, I can listen anyway, and sometimes get surprised for the better by exposure to something new.

#49 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:55 AM

Just to add in, the 70's-80's pencils and ballpoints were pretty much my first lot of vintage writing instruments which i found in tool boxes around my house. Not knowing value, and not really having anyone to help me, my prices were pretty much pulled from a hat. I think ive learned a quite a bit in the last 3 years in the hobby, which could be argued, but still have much more to learn, and i hope meeting up with some pen collectors in the next 6 months with help me learn about pens, and their history.

Edited by brando090, 12 October 2012 - 02:56 AM.

#50 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

Just to add in, the 70's-80's pencils and ballpoints were pretty much my first lot of vintage writing instruments which i found in tool boxes around my house. Not knowing value, and not really having anyone to help me, my prices were pretty much pulled from a hat. I think ive learned a quite a bit in the last 3 years in the hobby, which could be argued, but still have much more to learn, and i hope meeting up with some pen collectors in the next 6 months with help me learn about pens, and their history.

Brandon,

There is evidence you have not learned much of substance in the 2 years since your FPN posts. You might or might not know a bit more about pens. But you seem not to have grown in character. The business at FPN two years ago is startlingly similar to your games the last couple months.

Too, as a student with desire to attend a good college, you probably would benefit by choosing not to invest hours playing with pens seeking cash, which seems to work out poorly for you anyway, resulting in the sacrifice of precious hours from study. The $50/year you might come out ahead, is not worth 1000 hours lost which could be used to learn how to write a solid paragraph. You likely would do better simply browsing pens for fun here and there, and focus on other things until you address more critical life issues.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#51 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

How can you be 16 and have found pens in the 70s-80s?

#52 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

Just to add in, the 70's-80's pencils and ballpoints were pretty much my first lot of vintage writing instruments which i found in tool boxes around my house. Not knowing value, and not really having anyone to help me, my prices were pretty much pulled from a hat.SNIP

The FPN post mentioned you had cited "appraised" prices for them. Posturing never is a good idea.

-d

Posted Image

#53 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

Not what he said..

-d

Posted Image

#54 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

Not what he said..

-d

Got it.

#55 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:22 AM

Thanks,

I appreciate the expression, and will learn from it. Just like last year i learned the phrase "when s*** hits the fan" and have since understood what it's meant, and was another learning literature lesson. Not going to argue any more than we have to, but you are right, and i didn't think of it too much, junk lots will sell for a bit more even with an amateur pen repair men (myself) trying his hardest to make a non working pen, work. Posted Image So there's my practice, though i wont be buying for resale until i can resell again

The proper phrasing for a gentleman is "when the defecation hits the rotary oscillator". Although Mr. Hall and i were on a first name basis, this usage may also keep you out of the Principle's Office.

#56 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

Or even the Principal's Office.

#57 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Not according to iSpell buy iPhone.

But we do learn the power of proof reading ones work.

#58 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

I don't know that this could possibly be funnier.

Seriously.

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#59 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Know worries.

#60 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Brandon,

There is evidence you have not learned much of substance in the 2 years since your FPN posts. You might or might not know a bit more about pens. But you seem not to have grown in character. The business at FPN two years ago is startlingly similar to your games the last couple months.

Too, as a student with desire to attend a good college, you probably would benefit by choosing not to invest hours playing with pens seeking cash, which seems to work out poorly for you anyway, resulting in the sacrifice of precious hours from study. The $50/year you might come out ahead, is not worth 1000 hours lost which could be used to learn how to write a solid paragraph. You likely would do better simply browsing pens for fun here and there, and focus on other things until you address more critical life issues.

-d

Thank you,

I am always mastering engineering and business, which id like to major/minor or double major in. Science is my down fall... Ive cut down the hours since not reselling, so it helps a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users