20 replies to this topic

#1 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

Looking through my Waterman Ripples - Red, Olive, Blue Green, and Rose. I took a few pictures and thought I would share them.

Posted Image

Two 52 1/2V ring tops, several pencils, two 52s, and two 54's.

Posted Image

The 1st 5 pens are 55s. Then there is one 56. The rest are Waterman #7s. One of these pens is a Wood Grain, not a Red Ripple. But you can see how close they are to each other in appearance.

Posted Image

Waterman 94s in Olive Ripple, Blue Green Ripple, and Rose Ripple. Waterman 52V in Rose Ripple.

Enjoy, Allan

Edited by Procyon, 11 October 2012 - 01:21 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#2 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

Sweet!

A Blue Ripple may well be my Holy Grail of pens (or one of them, at least), considering how infatuated I am with blue and hard rubber. I can't offhand think of what would be more desirable for me. Thanks for showing them!

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

Great collection. To follow some earlier discussion, here are the uncommon 51-V along with a relatively uncommon variant of the little ringtop 52 1/2 V, in this case with gold tone crown the 01952 1/2V. Turns out the 51-V is about same size, overall, as 52 1/2V. The nib is smaller and the section tapers in more, and on this example the metal trimmed 52 1/2V cap is tad longer, but overall length about same and threads are compatible: same diameter. Note the really tiny nib on the 51-V. The larger nib in the metal ring top is just a #2 size.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

Posted Image

Waterman 94s in Olive Ripple, Blue Green Ripple, and Rose Ripple. Waterman 52V in Rose Ripple.
[/quote]

Were the Blue Green Ripples more yellow or more green when they first produced?

Thanks

#5 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

Posted Image

The 1st 5 pens are 55s. Then there is one 56. The rest are Waterman #7s. One of these pens is a Wood Grain, not a Red Ripple. But you can see how close they are to each other in appearance.

What a stunning collection. Could you say anything about the colored rings at the top of the #7s? I don't think I had ever seen anything like that before.

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

What a stunning collection. Could you say anything about the colored rings at the top of the #7s? I don't think I had ever seen anything like that before.

Hi Jon,

What a refreshing question. About as basic as it gets with Waterman, but revealing too how much a site like this can offer. Bit busy at moment and will defer some details to what I hope will be other readers (we still need more readers), but I will start the process of answering your question with an image I shot at the Philadelphia Pen Show probably 8 years ago, if not a bit more. Would not surprise me if a couple of the retail websites have profiles on these. I'm overdue to get profiles on my website. I have started at least (couple months to roll out a few). There is useful info in this shot...

Posted Image

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#7 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

Wow. Just wow.

You need to have a donate button, because a school this good shouldn't be free. Maybe I'll just buy one of your over-priced, "retail" pens.

#8 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

Link, no affiliation.

It is my understanding that there are two versions of Brown.

#9 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

Link, no affiliation.

It is my understanding that there are two versions of Brown.

Indeed, there are. The first, flexible version is the one most people want. Incidentally, the white nib has never been seen, as far as I know. The existence of it is surmised from a white slot in a pen tray that Waterman dealers used. Perhaps it was planned, but never made. If you can find one it should be worth a pretty penny. The black is also extremely rare.

Regards,
Allan

#10 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:23 AM

Great collection. To follow some earlier discussion, here are the uncommon 51-V along with a relatively uncommon variant of the little ringtop 52 1/2 V, in this case with gold tone crown the 01952 1/2V. Turns out the 51-V is about same size, overall, as 52 1/2V. The nib is smaller and the section tapers in more, and on this example the metal trimmed 52 1/2V cap is tad longer, but overall length about same and threads are compatible: same diameter. Note the really tiny nib on the 51-V. The larger nib in the metal ring top is just a #2 size.

regards

David

Wow! That really is a small nib!

Regards,
Allan

#11 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:32 AM

Just to add to the discussion on colors, here is an admittedly bad picture of a Grey nib that is no longer in my possession. I thought it might be useful to someone as the Grey nibs are fairly tough to come by. Note that it is not in the correct pen. I found it on eBay jammed into a junker Mabie Todd Swan.
Posted Image

Edited by BrianMcQueen, 11 October 2012 - 01:32 AM.

#12 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:57 AM

Thanks

That is an excellent question. And I don't know the answer. To be honest, I am not sure what Waterman called this color. I called it Blue Green because that is the name used by Fischler & Schneider in their blue book, where I first saw it. I wouldn't be surprised if Waterman simply called it blue ripple - but I will try to look it up in their catalogs and get back to you.

I have always thought, and I could be completely wrong, that there were a limited number of colors of hard rubber. First was black, then red. Then they mixed them together and got mottled - this was used by several companies. Later companies used different mixing methods and got several different versions of what looked considerably more like wood.
1) Waterman called it wood grain
2) Conklin had mahogany
3) Wahl called it rosewood

A lot of companies went to celluloid. Waterman, being sort of stuck in its ways, wanted to keep using hard rubber. Some other colors of hard rubber were developed. These were also pretty limited - in fact, it was only yellow and blue.

So, it appears to me:
1) Olive ripple was made by mixing black and yellow
2) Blue Green ripple was made by mixing blue and yellow
3) Rose ripple was made by mixing red and yellow

If you have ever mixed paints, you know that mixing yellow and blue results in green. With the blue green, only a small amount of yellow resulted in a blue green look in some cases, especially around the edges where the colors mixed. If there was more yellow, it looked a little more like blue yellow.

I may be completely wrong about this. I have never really seen any definitive information about it. I would be more than happy if someone corrects me.

Regards, Allan Goforth

Regards,
Allan

#13 Euro Vintage

Euro Vintage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

Posted Image

Enjoy, Allan

What a beautiful collection !

No Waterman 58 ripple ?

Any particular reason: too rare ??

Tri

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

No Waterman 58 ripple ?

Tri

Hi Tri,

Note that the row of typical Red Ripple pens all appear to be same size, based on the 55, which was the core pen that served also as the #7. Mini-collections often have a unifying theme or two. There also were no # 20 Ripples, no 52 1/2 V Ripples etc. But, moving beyond general to specifics, I'll defer to Procyon. ;)

regards

d

Posted Image

#15 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

In response to what waterman called blue green ripple, see ebay #350587697142 . The text of the ad is clear, internally I don't know.

Waterman was involved with the rubber company. Which I speculate is why they were slow to get into celluloid.

#16 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

No Waterman 58 ripple ?

Tri

Well, that is one of my next targets. I have bid on several of them on eBay, but I didn't bid enough to win the auctions. They are pretty rare, but there are a few around. I will get one someday - just have to persist.

Edited by Procyon, 11 October 2012 - 02:33 AM.

Regards,
Allan

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:40 AM

No Waterman 58 ripple ?

Tri

Well, that is one of my next targets. I have bid on several of them on eBay, but I didn't bid enough to win the auctions. They are pretty rare, but there are a few around. I will get one someday - just have to persist.

I have one lying about with nice rubber, but needs capband aggressively replated or replacement fabricated (verdigris and brassing to the band).

regards
d

Posted Image

#18 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:41 AM

Looking through my Waterman Ripples - Red, Olive, Blue Green, and Rose. I took a few pictures and thought I would share them.

Posted Image

Two 52 1/2V ring tops, several pencils, two 52s, and two 54's.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoy, Allan

G'day Allan

What a lovely collection.
Thanks very much for sharing... beautiful pens.
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#19 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:54 AM

Thanks

That is an excellent question. And I don't know the answer. To be honest, I am not sure what Waterman called this color. I called it Blue Green because that is the name used by Fischler & Schneider in their blue book, where I first saw it. I wouldn't be surprised if Waterman simply called it blue ripple - but I will try to look it up in their catalogs and get back to you.

I have always thought, and I could be completely wrong, that there were a limited number of colors of hard rubber. First was black, then red. Then they mixed them together and got mottled - this was used by several companies. Later companies used different mixing methods and got several different versions of what looked considerably more like wood.
1) Waterman called it wood grain
2) Conklin had mahogany
3) Wahl called it rosewood

A lot of companies went to celluloid. Waterman, being sort of stuck in its ways, wanted to keep using hard rubber. Some other colors of hard rubber were developed. These were also pretty limited - in fact, it was only yellow and blue.

So, it appears to me:
1) Olive ripple was made by mixing black and yellow
2) Blue Green ripple was made by mixing blue and yellow
3) Rose ripple was made by mixing red and yellow

If you have ever mixed paints, you know that mixing yellow and blue results in green. With the blue green, only a small amount of yellow resulted in a blue green look in some cases, especially around the edges where the colors mixed. If there was more yellow, it looked a little more like blue yellow.

I may be completely wrong about this. I have never really seen any definitive information about it. I would be more than happy if someone corrects me.

Regards, Allan Goforth

Thanks!

I ask because I wanted to know how much the color would have changed through aging over the decades.

#20 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:54 AM

In response to what waterman called blue green ripple, see ebay #350587697142 . The text of the ad is clear, internally I don't know.

Waterman was involved with the rubber company. Which I speculate is why they were slow to get into celluloid.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users