• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

There are two easy to find articles on Snorkel nib codes: Richard Binder's pentrace article:

http://www.pentrace....sp?id=317<br />
and Jim Mamoulides:

http://www.penhero.c...kelNibCodes.htm

Has anyone extended the chart to include Skripsert pens? I've got a chrome cap Skripsert Triumph nibbed pen with an F9 code. It's a monotone nib, obviously a fine, and appears to be gold, not plated (no signs of gold on the tipping). Somewhere, I got it in my head it's also a 9K alloy, but can no longer find the source (betting it was Daniel). There's also an old thread on fountainpennetwork asking about a Lady Skripsert with a G8 nib code that never got an answer.

thanks

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

There are two easy to find articles on Snorkel nib codes: Richard Binder's pentrace article:

http://www.pentrace....icle.asp?id=317

and Jim Mamoulides:

http://www.penhero.c...kelNibCodes.htm

Has anyone extended the chart to include Skripsert pens? I've got a chrome cap Skripsert Triumph nibbed pen with an F9 code. It's a monotone nib, obviously a fine, and appears to be gold, not plated (no signs of gold on the tipping). Somewhere, I got it in my head it's also a 9K alloy, but can no longer find the source (betting it was Daniel). There's also an old thread on fountainpennetwork asking about a Lady Skripsert with a G8 nib code that never got an answer.

thanks

Hi Matt,

Certainly not my area of core focus, though I have pretty well absorbed the Snorkel codes, part of my heavy involvement with Snorks the last couple years.

Still...

Given that Snorks have codes that incorporate the pen models (with some duplication- eg "5" can be Valiant or Sentinel), and given that these were prevalent in the 1950's, an era which includes Skripsert, it seems reasonable that "7", "8", and "9" might represent models that were assigned codes after codes were assigned to the Snorks, which would make perfect sense for late 1950's pens such as the Skripsert.

If those numbers just map onto various models intro'd after Snork, then all that needs sorting is the first half of the code, and we already have sense of "F" and "G", right?

Feel free to correct my false assumptions ;)

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:21 AM

Given that Snorks have codes that incorporate the pen models (with some duplication- eg "5" can be Valiant or Sentinel), ...
Feel free to correct my false assumptions ;)

I'm on it. The codes do not incorporate pen models per se. The codes are purely nib style codes. For example, a '5' nib is a gold sheath (Triumph-style) nib.

To the OP's question: a '9' is a 9.2K (nine point two karat gold) short sheath (Triumph-style) nib. The '8' is a Palladium Silver short sheath. From memory, a 'G" prefix indicates a shorthand nib (for "Gregg").

--Daniel

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:31 AM

I'm on it. The codes do not incorporate pen models per se. The codes are purely nib style codes. For example, a '5' nib is a gold sheath (Triumph-style) nib.

SNIP

--Daniel

Interesting.

So the codes indicate models or a range of models, but only indirectly, in that the code marks specifically only a cocktail of nib material and shape. But, since only certain models carry nibs of given material and shape, we are provided information as to possible models, and of course we then know which nib codes to expect with given models.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:32 AM

SNIP

To the OP's question: a '9' is a 9.2K (nine point two karat gold) short sheath (Triumph-style) nib. The '8' is a Palladium Silver short sheath. From memory, a 'G" prefix indicates a shorthand nib (for "Gregg").

--Daniel

Wonder if there is a "7" out there somewhere.

-d

Posted Image

#6 J Appleseed

J Appleseed

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

Interesting. I have a Skripsert that is a conical-nibbed version of the "cartridge pen" . It has an F8 nib, which I always assumed meant a stainless-steel conical nib, but it sounds as if it was really Silver-Palladium? Interesting. It seems a low-brow pen for a Silver-Palladium nib.

John

#7 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

Interesting. I have a Skripsert that is a conical-nibbed version of the "cartridge pen" . It has an F8 nib, which I always assumed meant a stainless-steel conical nib, but it sounds as if it was really Silver-Palladium? Interesting. It seems a low-brow pen for a Silver-Palladium nib.

John

John;

Keep in mind that the cheap snorkel special is an open silver palladium nib so it was fairly low brow. The top nibs were two toned 14K nibs.

Roger W.

#8 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:24 PM

Wonder if there is a "7" out there somewhere.

-d

It's the rare Unobtanium nib.

:)

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#9 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

It's the rare Unobtanium nib.

:)

Tim

It's an open gold nib. Not sure offhand which models bore it.

--Daniel

#10 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:42 PM

John

And essentially the same "short-sheeted" PdAg nib shows up on the Imperial II and the Stylist (long skinny clip, may have white "S" instead of white dot; also seen with the flat nib sorta resembling the Parker 180). Also, reverse mask plated (gold over the Pd-Ag, so it looks like a two tone gold nib) on the Sheaffer Target and Imperial III.

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

John

And... it was introduced after the nibs found in Snorkel, so however intentional or not, makes sense that it would have higher number than 6, which is where, iirc, Snorkel nibs maxxed.

d

Posted Image

#12 J Appleseed

J Appleseed

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

John;

Keep in mind that the cheap snorkel special is an open silver palladium nib so it was fairly low brow. The top nibs were two toned 14K nibs.

Roger W.

And essentially the same "short-sheeted" PdAg nib shows up on the Imperial II and the Stylist (long skinny clip, may have white "S" instead of white dot; also seen with the flat nib sorta resembling the Parker 180). Also, reverse mask plated (gold over the Pd-Ag, so it looks like a two tone gold nib) on the Sheaffer Target and Imperial III.

I can see the silver-palladium nibs as being lower-tier than 14K, and I know they showed up on the Imperial II and a few others, but this one is basically the lowly "Cartridge Pen" with a slightly fancier cap and conical nib. I don't think there was a comperable gold-nibbed version, only steel. That is what makes it seem an oddly low-brow pen for a silver-pd nib.

On the other hand, as a production issue I can see it making more sense to use existing process and tooling for an AG-PD nib rather than retooling to put out conical steel nibs - particularly if the steel made it harder to work with.

John

#13 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:33 PM

...but this one is basically the lowly "Cartridge Pen" with a slightly fancier cap and conical nib. I don't think there was a comperable gold-nibbed version, only steel. That is what makes it seem an oddly low-brow pen for a silver-pd nib.

John,

Does your pen have a chrome or GP clip? Mine has a GP clip and the 9.2K conical nib; overall shape is the same as a Snorkel/Touchdown/TipDip. Chrome plated slip cap, clutch ring at the barrel section joint.

Cap pattern is a set of 3 repeating lines - middle line is straight, outer two lines are straight with a repeating zigzag - same as a Snorkel Sovereign.

Matt

#14 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

John

John,

Is this your pen? Nov 23, 1959, Life magazine

http://books.google....heaffer&f=false

The ad pictures a $5 Skripsert pen with a "white" conical nib, available in 5 colors and 7 nibs, and notes that the price range is $2.95-$8.75. (zoom in to read) (In 1959 Sheaffer also sold the Maico hearing aid...)

The $2.95 Skripsert has a partially hooded nib (called the Stylepoint?) similar to the later Lady Skripsert.

http://books.google....ripsert&f=false

(Hey Gerry, this ad pictures a Sweet Briar sophomore.)

And this appears to be the $8.75 model

http://books.google....ripsert&f=false

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users