#1 Ierph

Ierph

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:42 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557
Does it have anything to do with Conklin?

Attached File  $T2eC16V,!)!E9s2fB+iqBQe2EI!g4!~~60_57.JPG   294.54KB   8 downloads

#2 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:34 AM

I don't see anything that looks like Conklin on this pen, other than the fact that it is a crescent-filler. The glass nib, section, and the lock ring are not Conklin. Neither is the color of the cap and barrel, unless the color balance of the pictures is way off.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#3 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

Japanese called a Spors

Jerry

#4 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:45 AM

Japanese called a Spors

Seriously? Man, I almost posted "If this isn't a Frankenpen, I'll eat my hat!" For once, I stayed my hand.

Indeed! Made in Japan and marketed/sold as Spors in the US.

Edited by JonSzanto, 22 October 2012 - 02:48 AM.

#5 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

Great article in the below link.

I've owned 2 w/ the crescent filler that were made from bamboo. My success rate for getting these opened up runs about 70/30 in favor of open. I have a few stray glass nibs if yours is damaged, let me know & I'll get one out your direction. Good luck, I hope you can get it open & restored. They are inexpensive but cool pens to use once in a while for a change of pace.

My link

Edited by Dennis Lively, 22 October 2012 - 02:52 AM.

#6 Ierph

Ierph

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

Thanks for all the information. Did the Conklin patent expire before these were made?

#7 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

Man... I have NO clue.

#8 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for all the information. Did the Conklin patent expire before these were made?

That likely wouldn't have made much difference to a manufacturer anywhere in Asia 50 years ago. Not a judgement, just an observation.

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#9 philm

philm

journeyman

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

The link above referred to as My Link by Dennis and also linked by Jon, is actually a link to some information I gathered on Spors Pens several years ago. The pen does look like a Spors, but without seeing the imprint, I am not sure. Frank Spors was actually a catalog retailer, located in Minnesota in the early to mid 1900s. He sold several pens in his catalogs, but is most noted in the fountain pen community for his colorful glass nibbed pens marked with his last name. For a time they were produced in Japan for him, and imprinted with his Company name. Then, as WWII approached and occurred, this got him in a bit of hot water and he ceased the relationship. Given the photo and having several Spors catalogs, I would place this pen in the early to mid 1930s. If you follow the link below, you will find 5 posts that I wrote on some of his pens, and marketing work.

Spors Research

Phil

PS - I would also agree with Tim that patent issues with Conklin would be irrelevant to the Japanese producer.

Edited by philm, 22 October 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#10 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

Phil, the default link name here on the board is 'my link' sorry I didn't change it and credit you & the site. I read it all of the time & am continually amazed at what I learn from you.

Thanks!

#11 philm

philm

journeyman

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Phil, the default link name here on the board is 'my link' sorry I didn't change it and credit you & the site. I read it all of the time & am continually amazed at what I learn from you.

Thanks!

No problem, thanks!

Phil

Edited by philm, 22 October 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#12 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

I just spotted this one in ebay. The Bamboo model.

Bamboo Spoors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users