21 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

I hope some can find useful information in these videos.

My link

Posted Image

Please feel free to point out and correct any mistakes below, so the correct information is out there.

Enjoy!
Dennis

If you are having trouble viewing. Try this link. The password is Lively
My link

Edited by Dennis Lively, 28 October 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

On the other hand, one might get a dose of some bad, dangerous information that could result in damaged, broken pens.

For instance, open flame is a dangerous technique and a good way to turn a celluloid pen in to a pen flambe'. It happens remarkably fast. Using a Dremel to polish a pen is a really good way to damage a pen, and to burn a hole in plastic. I've had to clean up and repair the damage done to many pens where this was done to the pen by an unskilled individual without the right tools.

A heat gun is the safest way to open a pen, set a nib etc. A slow speed (1750 RPM) buffer with a 1" wide 6" wheel safest for polishing. The Lawrence/Oldfield book on pen repair is a great source of reliable, accurate information on pen repair...

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#3 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

On the other hand, one might get a dose of some bad, dangerous information that could result in damaged, broken pens.

For instance, open flame is a dangerous technique and a good way to turn a celluloid pen in to a pen flambe'. It happens remarkably fast. Using a Dremel to polish a pen is a really good way to damage a pen, and to burn a hole in plastic. I've had to clean up and repair the damage done to many pens where this was done to the pen by an unskilled individual without the right tools.

A heat gun is the safest way to open a pen, set a nib etc. A slow speed (1750 RPM) buffer with a 1" wide 6" wheel safest for polishing. The Lawrence/Oldfield book on pen repair is a great source of reliable, accurate information on pen repair...

Thats one reason I want folks to point out & correct the errors so the right info is available.

I look back on that open flame portion & hang my head. I haven't used OF in several years. back then it was 'old school is the best way'. Wrong & I learned my lessons the hard way. I never had a customers pen go up, but lost a couple of my own project pieces. A price I paid for being dumb.

Re; the dremel. I use a cordless with a half charged battery to keep the RPM's down and only use a good cloth/cotton wheel. Never felt, which burns a pen in a heartbeat.

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

If you know that some of the information in the video is bad, why post it at all?

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#5 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Because not all of it is bad information.

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

That's... not... reassuring.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 Ierph

Ierph

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

There aren't many videos that show 100% correct information - I am glad this was posted.

#8 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

Of the people commenting, one is a venerable collector and the other a well-respected repairman.

So now, me - a relative newcomer to the pen world, and one who has tinkered a bit all his life, and I have to add: it is pretty dangerous to float around information that you *know* is misleading, incorrect, or could lead to a bad result. *I* certainly wouldn't know how to sort out the good from the bad in the video, and even with a disclaimer up front, I really think it is a bit of a disservice to put anything out there that - in retrospect or hindsight - you know in good conscience to not be proper methodology.

Just be careful, Dennis. If I were you, I'd share this among knowledgeable friends and colleagues in the business on a private link basis, and once you can correct the areas of problem, *then* post it.

Just my $0.02.

Edited by JonSzanto, 27 October 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#9 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

When posting something historical with known problematic information, I think the poster has the responsibility to point out that information in the original post. Better than having someone else point it out, perhaps after they've tried to use the information and had a bad result. A response of "oops, yeah. I should have pointed that out" is never a good one.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#10 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:26 AM

just sitting here shaking my head. :blink:

#11 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

My link

Posted Image

Please feel free to point out and correct any mistakes below, so the correct information is out there.

Enjoy!
Dennis

If you give bad information to someone and their pen goes poof, you are responsible. Your disclaimer aside, you lose what little of your already tarnished reputation when you give out information which could render harm to someone's property and who knows, perhaps their own safety. You are trying to use this board to rebuild what you have lost of reputation from your actions over the years. All I can say is, buyer beware.

#12 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

How are inexperienced people supposed to know what is bad information or what is good information? Do you have the individual scenes labeled, this is bad information, this is good information, this is so-so information? Is that there in the different parts of the video? Big red stop signs telling people, no no no I was wrong, do not do this...no no no... Is it there Dennis?

#13 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

There aren't many videos that show 100% correct information - I am glad this was posted.

Then they should be flagged and removed lest someone damage grandpa's pen that has lasted since 1931 with little harm and isn't even a part's piece.

#14 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

My link

Posted Image

Enjoy!
Dennis

If you give bad information to someone and their pen goes poof, you are responsible. Your disclaimer aside, you lose what little of your already tarnished reputation when you give out information which could render harm to someone's property and who knows, perhaps their own safety. You are trying to use this board to rebuild what you have lost of reputation from your actions over the years. All I can say is, buyer beware.

I posted these Videos to help the new comer to FP repairs. True, a couple of statements are wrong, but by the same token,some of the things found in Frank Dubiel's Da Book are incorrect as well. I also purposefully added the 'correct the bad info' so those viewing this thread would know what the experts think. I stopped selling the DVD's years ago & posted them to the internet for free as a service to the pen community.

Regarding my reputation. It is my fondest wish that the past be left there. I have started rebuilding my business and life from the ground up. I need to begin with a fresh start so I can build my reputation the way it should have been done when I first joined the pen community.

#15 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

How are inexperienced people supposed to know what is bad information or what is good information? Do you have the individual scenes labeled, this is bad information, this is good information, this is so-so information? Is that there in the different parts of the video? Big red stop signs telling people, no no no I was wrong, do not do this...no no no... Is it there Dennis?

They could start off by reading this thread & no it is not there.

"Is it there Dennis"
You know it's not, so why hammer on me about it?

#16 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

My link

Posted Image

Enjoy!
Dennis

I posted these Videos to help the new comer to FP repairs. True, a couple of statements are wrong, but by the same token,some of the things found in Frank Dubiel's Da Book are incorrect as well. I also purposefully added the 'correct the bad info' so those viewing this thread would know what the experts think. I stopped selling the DVD's years ago & posted them to the internet for free as a service to the pen community.

Regarding my reputation. It is my fondest wish that the past be left there. I have started rebuilding my business and life from the ground up. I need to begin with a fresh start so I can build my reputation the way it should have been done when I first joined the pen community.

If you have bad information in portions of your videos, how is that going to enhance your reputation? It is like putting on the shelf medicine that says take 4x a day when it should be 3x a day and asking for others to make sure they put stickers on the boxes themselves in their drug stores. It is your responsibility to make sure the information you put out is proper and up to date, that to me is called being ethical. It is also moral. You want to project the improved Dennis, then why use things from the past? The only way to project a new image is to do things that are new and not rely on others to clean up a potential mess.

As far Frank Dubiel, I cannot talk to him on this board and express opinions to him about potential incorrect elements. I can talk to you though. If you want to make improvement and make amends in your life and show people that you have changed, you have to start with what is going with you, not Frank Dubiel, but with you. Not rely on placing misinformation on the web where others can make mistakes which you have guided them through. Making amends means fresh starts, improved starts and building trust slowly, not rushing them. Not giving people a reason to review your past with bad information but the opportunity to review your present with good things to comment on. These are your choices. Why would people trust you in the future if the information you have given them damages their pens? How does that give anyone the chance to look up to you as a qualified repairperson? And how would that make others trust anyone you might teach?

Your choice. You can make new videos and place reputable and proper information on the web thus being ethical and moral. Or you can have bad information available to people which brings your ethics and morals into question. It is all your choice. Buyer beware.

#17 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

They could start off by reading this thread & no it is not there.

"Is it there Dennis"

Not everyone has read the thread but possibly will go right to the video and not read the rest of the thread. You assume that people will read the thread. The responsibility is on you to present information which will be right if you truly want a fresh start and to make amends. Your choice for a reputation for being ethical and moral or your choice for a reputation for someone who less ethical and moral. You decide what you want.

Basically stop making excuses and take responsibility and show that you truly want to make amends.

The more you keep making excuses and leave bad information in your videos, how is that going to give anyone trust that the pen they purchase from you or any of your students or anyone you mentor are properly restored. Buyer Beware.

#18 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

The main problem with the videos is the rush to production. Just a few months prior to making the videos Dennis was asking the community basic repair questions. This was not the person that should have been making repair videos at that time. I see above that these videos have now been uploaded for free. Well they should be scraped and re-shot as they have way too much questionable content. Why upload videos of such questionable content if one is trying to rebuild their reputation for the sixth or seventh time?

Roger W.

#19 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

Seriously?

An answer to that would be, "this is case of an experienced collector pointing out important issues to inexperienced collectors, before they are hurt", which is what th Board in part is about. Also, she points out that with Great Power comes Great Responsibility.

No one knows it all, and being wrong can be a great thing, a chance to learn.

But, those would would play at positioning themselves as experienced, who would teach, have a bit of a greater obligation to caution and to accuracy, than those who are just casual or who are just curious. And this weird parallel you try to establish with a dead fellow, who was respected at many levels, and who has not been in play for years... is... a bit odd.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#20 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

There is a reason why I consistently advise people to avoid Franks book, and to buy the Marshall/Oldfield book. The former is out of date and suggests techniques that are or can be harmful to pens. I could write a whole article discussing what I have issues with and why. It might even be a series of articles.....

Posted Image

Visit Main Street Pens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users