#21 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

Thats solid advice Rick.

Re: The silver quality. It looks like the clip is stamped 900. Could that be a statement on the content/purity?

Brando, if you decide not to keep it, message me with a price.

#22 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

German silver is typically less than Sterling ( .925), It actually ranges around 900 but isn't all exactly 900. I've seen pieces marked from 800-900.

#23 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

I don't think there is any value to be taken away if you make a new barrel.

Regards,
George

That's good, ill be sure to try the ammonia to water mixture to be sure what color the barrel is, and have it turned.

You might be misreading George's remark ;)

-d

looking at this pen, I guess I now have some additional questions... what make is this pen, and what makes it rare and valuable?

I mean, it just looks like a no name german (perhaps) sterling (and maybe not fine silver) overlay.

I believe they are not at all uncommon, and only saw the second series of pictures after I reexplored this thread.

Figuring around $100 for a barrel turned maybe more, maybe less, I don't know if the pen actually warrants the $ spent, especially if you wanna resell, unless I am missing something this might only be worth $200-250 at best, it looks to be dinged up fairly well, and it is missing the nib, the nib pictured is obviously not original to the pen.

Either way, puting the money in, you know where you are at. I am not sure what you paid to get the pen, but without having a manufacture to go on, I have seen many a similar pen over the years, and I just don't see this as being rare and valuable.

Just trying to help out.

If you like the pen, and plan to keep it, have a barrel turned. If you plan to sell it, I might offer that you cut your losses.

Thank you Rick,

I was going to ask why you feel the nib is not original, but after putting two and two together...an English nib, most likely doesn't belong with a more than likely german pen. I do plan on keeping this pen, as im building up my silver collection.

Edited by brando090, 06 November 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#24 Ierph

Ierph

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

German silver is typically less than Sterling ( .925), It actually ranges around 900 but isn't all exactly 900. I've seen pieces marked from 800-900.

Not to be confused with "German Silver" which has .000 silver content.

#25 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

Not to be confused with "German Silver" which has .000 silver content.

Too, regarding market analysis, as this is not my usual zone, is there any reasonable evidence this pen is worth more than melt?

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#26 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

I don't think there is any value to be taken away if you make a new barrel.

Regards,
George

That's good, ill be sure to try the ammonia to water mixture to be sure what color the barrel is, and have it turned.

You might be misreading George's remark ;)

-d

looking at this pen, I guess I now have some additional questions... what make is this pen, and what makes it rare and valuable?

I mean, it just looks like a no name german (perhaps) sterling (and maybe not fine silver) overlay.

I believe they are not at all uncommon, and only saw the second series of pictures after I reexplored this thread.

Figuring around $100 for a barrel turned maybe more, maybe less, I don't know if the pen actually warrants the $$ spent, especially if you wanna resell, unless I am missing something this might only be worth $200-250 at best, it looks to be dinged up fairly well, and it is missing the nib, the nib pictured is obviously not original to the pen.

Either way, puting the money in, you know where you are at. I am not sure what you paid to get the pen, but without having a manufacture to go on, I have seen many a similar pen over the years, and I just don't see this as being rare and valuable.

Just trying to help out.

If you like the pen, and plan to keep it, have a barrel turned. If you plan to sell it, I might offer that you cut your losses.

I pretty much agree with Rick, here. I don't see the pen being really rare or valuable, but I have seen from some of your past posts that you like these overlay pens. So, it may be worth having a new barrel turned for you. If not, you can attempt the crack repair yourself and make a decent, usable pen out of it, even if it's not the prettiest or most professional repair.

To clarify David's and George's cryptic comments, I think what they are trying to say is that the pen is going to be worth about the same whether you have a new barrel made for it or not (since they don't really view it as a particularly rare or valuable pen)

#27 ihimlen

ihimlen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

If the cracked barrel end is covered with the overlay (and I think it is, although I haven't seen the pen disassembled) then just welding the cracks (I don't recommend acetone either) seems to be the cheapest option though turning a new barrel could also be considered.
From what I can see, one could even afford to have the welding job a little unsightly at the cost of strengthening the cracks since it will be covered by the silver binde (and thus invisible) anyway - the ink reservoir looks to be covered in glue that held the overlay in place so it probably isn't going be visible once the pen is put back together and I doubt anyone will take it apart anytime soon once it's restored. My twopence (or two cents, depending on how you look at it). :-)

i.

Edited by ihimlen, 15 November 2012 - 02:56 PM.

Life is too important to be taken seriously
(Oscar Wilde)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users