8 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTempe, Arizona

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:46 AM

I recently picked up this pen because it just didn't seem right and because it was cheap. I have researched every online source I could find and didn't come close. Here are some of the details:

1. The pen is 124mm which makes it a junior although the cap is three stripes (silver/black) and, as expected, it looks out of proportion. It has the early feathered clip as expected.

2. The nib is marked 1934 and the pen translucent body, when easily cleaned with a cue tip and soapy water reveals length-wise striations or windows, which seem to be unique to 1934, thus confirming the pen date as probably 1934. No date mark is evident.

3. Lockdown filler and jeweled on both ends with what I call the "cat's eye."

4. The body of the pen has a larger diameter than a junior of the same age, a junior cap is way too small.

And here is where it gets strange

4. There is a 5/16th silver band molded into the body of the pen. When I bought the pen I assumed that someone either had some custom work done or perhaps the pen cracked and was repaired using the ring.

Nope, "Parker, Made in U.S.A." "Vacumatic" are engraved around the pen just under the band! When I look inside the cap, I don't see the band so it's flush and molded into the body of the pen.

I have found photos of 1934-1935 pens like this with the silver/black striated cap fitted with a black translucent barrel, although they seem to be somewhat rare. However, I'm at a loss to explain the silver ring with lateral "Vacumatic" et al engravings--it must be factory(?)

Anyone have any ideas about unraveling this puzzle? I can post more photos if you want to see something specific.

Hopefully the four photos I attached will show the pen well.

Bob
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Captain Bob, 27 November 2012 - 02:14 AM.

#2 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

Trying hosting the photos in the gallery. I made a quick tutorial, that is useless if you are color blind, here.

Jeremy

#3 plmadding

plmadding

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

I think the barrel of that pen is from a shadow wave desk pen.

Preston

#4 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:40 AM

I think the barrel of that pen is from a shadow wave desk pen.

Preston

Agreed. It's a frankenpen combo of a dark Vac desk pen (of some sort, shadow wave likely) and the cap from a silver pearl Vac.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#5 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

That was a Shadow Wave desk pen at some point in its lifetime. It would probably have been made in 1938. The Shadow Wave ones had a smooth band like yours and sold for 5 dollars according to the 1938 catalog. Interesting, though, that your black pen has a silver ring. Regular black Shadow Wave pocket pens have gold trim. I'm not sure what the usual case is for the desk pens. The catalog picture is in black and white, so it can't really be distinguished.

I also can't tell from the catalog whether the desk taper should have a metal ring at the bottom or just be solid black like a Challenger or Parkette desk pen taper. A Duofold Jr. desk taper should fit it, though I don't recall seeing a Duofold Jr desk taper with a silver ring. It may be kind of hard to find a proper taper, depending on whether it should have a metal ring on it or not.

#6 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTempe, Arizona

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Did the early desk pens have a threaded end next to the section? The photos that I can find don't seem to show threads but are smooth to the section, but I'm not sure. The threads stand proud of the body surface so they weren't cut later. If the desk pens didn't have external threads, then the plot thickens.

You are probably right about shadow wave versus reticular windows although I can't find a photo that makes the difference clear to me. I read that the reticular windows were available 1934-35 (the nib is a 1934 although could have been changed also). The shadow wave was 1937-38, for a lock filler. Either is possible, if it was assembled from odd parts years ago--the pen came from an estate and was in a drawer for 30+ years.

Either way, it's a frankenpen. I suppose I could cut down the length of the cap to make the pen look proportional, clean it up, and enjoy what I've got.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

#7 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

The earliest desk pens were nothing more than regular pens with tapers instead of blind caps. We can see this in 1936 and 1937 catalogs. In the 1938 catalog, we see pens like you have above, with threads in the barrel. They are basically regular pens with a band in the middle. The 1939 catalog shows the dedicated desk pen that you mention, with no threads. So, your pen would date to 1938.

The difference between Shadow Wave and Longitudinal stripes is this: The shadow wave design has the clear sections broken up and jagged. The longitudinal striped pens have 15 or so perfectly straight stripes running the entire length of the barrel, alternating with perfectly straight black lines.

Examples can be seen on David Isaacson's sales pages.
Shadow wave: Click for image
Longitudinal Stripe: Click for image

#8 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTempe, Arizona

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

I think you nailed it. Many thanks for taking the time to add the links

Bob

#9 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

I just wanted to add this picture of a Brown Shadow Wave desk pen I just picked up. All it needs is a feed.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users