• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 opus7600

opus7600

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

Some, if not all of you, received an email this morning from a well-known nib technician. In this email, I was accused of fraudulent behavior. To wit, I was accused of trying to get this technician to repair the pictured damage to a Vacumatic Maxima nib, which occurred after he serviced the pen and returned it to me.

1) I sent the pen to the technician to perform a customization.
2) He performed the requested work, as well as adjusting the amount by which the nib and feed extended from the section.
3) I was satisfied with the work done, and paid in full. I did notice the cap kept coming loose. I said, "That's not right. I bet it's just some celluloid shrinkage, and I can tighten it more." I did so, and found the cap was now tight.
4) When I opened the pen then next time, the nib was as shown.
5) I sent email to the technician asking that he correct the damage that I felt was due to his misjudging the correct depth of the nib and feed.
6) He replied that the damage was clearly from being dropped, and he would fix it for his usual fee.
7) I offered some alternative methods of resolving our impasse, including getting a neutral third party to act as an umpire.
8) I never received another reply from him.
9) I raised a paypal dispute, recommending that I receive a partial refund in the amount he quoted for the nib repair.
10) One week later, with no reply, I elevated it to a claim, with the same request for a partial refund.
11) Paypal found in my favor and refunded the amount I requested.
12) The technician sent out email to me, and BCC'd to unknown parties he referred to as "Fellow Pen Repair People". He accused me of being a scam artist, and of exhibiting a "pattern of fraud".
13) I am posting this to let the recipients of that email, many of whom I am sure will see this post, judge for themselves if I was telling the truth regarding the cause of the nib damage.

I will not deny for a second that it was my action that was the proximate cause of the nib damage, but I do not accept any responsibility. I believe when a pen is sent for repair, it is reasonable to assume that it will come back completely functional. I am knowledgeable about some things, but I am not adept at setting feeds or judging correct inner cap depth. A nib technician ought to be.

video of rotation
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I will happily provide other backup material back channel.

Edited by opus7600, 25 December 2012 - 11:04 AM.

#2 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

I don't even know who you are. How can a handle like "opus7600" be defamed? Beyond that, you actually screwed a cap on so hard that it bent a nib like that? You kept screwing even when you felt resistance?

I haven't seen any email - I'm not a pen repair person. But, as is often the case, those of us like me are only getting one side of the story.

#3 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

I read that as 'I sent a nib to be repaired. He did a great job. I torqued the cap down and ruined the nib. I was pissed and wanted someone to blame so I filed a claim and ripped off the guy that did the work.'

From your own words I don't see that nib tech as being at any kind of fault here. He did his job. Repairing your damaged nib. He shouldn't be to blame for your fumble.

From the pic and having repaired my share of nibs for myself and clients. That does look like a dropped nib to my eye. A twisting force that you describe would have most likely twisted and torqued the tine tips giving a left hand hook or angle. In the pics you show, the damage appears to have been caused by a vertical impact rather than an oblique or lateral force from the twist motion of the cap.

I'm not a scientist or whatever, this is just my opinion & layman observations.

#4 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

adding also that I did not get 'the email' either.

#5 opus7600

opus7600

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

[quote name='Dennis Lively' date='24 December 2012 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1356390550' post='21277']
From the pic and having repaired my share of nibs for myself and clients. That does look like a dropped nib to my eye. A twisting force that you describe would have most likely twisted and torqued the tine tips giving a left hand hook or angle. In the pics you show, the damage appears to have been caused by a vertical impact rather than an oblique or lateral force from the twist motion of the cap.
/quote]

Try the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGVPQboqIhc

Edited by opus7600, 24 December 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#6 opus7600

opus7600

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

I don't even know who you are. How can a handle like "opus7600" be defamed? Beyond that, you actually screwed a cap on so hard that it bent a nib like that? You kept screwing even when you felt resistance?

I haven't seen any email - I'm not a pen repair person. But, as is often the case, those of us like me are only getting one side of the story.

It was my real name on the email. Would you like to see it? I'll happily forward it to you.

Yes, I kept turning, because the cap kept going on. Why on earth would I even think that it was a possibility that such a thing would happen to a pen fresh back from repair?

I'm sure the other participant in this saga will be happy to share his thoughts with you. I'll not name him here.

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

SNIP

From your own words I don't see that nib tech as being at any kind of fault here. He did his job. Repairing your damaged nib. He shouldn't be to blame for your fumble.

Not clear there was a "fumble" by owner. I take no "side" in this, but I can observe "if/then". If the nib was set into the pen as part of the restoration, and if the nib was not deeply enough set such that simple cap closure twisted the nib, then the set up for damage was done during the restoration. Right?

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#8 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

In my mind little doubt the damage occurred from the nib being incorrectly set and would be easily measured to either prove or disprove this ( by you or a third party). Likewise I didn't receive an email nor do I want to know the parties involved, unfortunate these events occur but that's life !!

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

John,

I don't believe he was asserting his on-line handle had been defamed. You guys are a bit concrete today ;)

Furthermore, I have had pens return (years ago) from restorers where the nib had not been set deeply enough into pen, with just the same outcome cited by Opus. I twisted the tip off the nib while closing the cap. It is *very* easy to do when the nib is too far out.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#10 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

I twisted the tip off the nib while closing the cap. It is *very* easy to do when the nib is too far out.

Thanks, David. This is the kind of info that is helpful, because I found - maybe still find! - it hard to believe that one wouldn't be aware that the pressure exerted to damage a nib wouldn't be felt as something out of the ordinary. And yet, I live to learn.

I hope there is an amicable outcome. I have to admit, I don't tend to have much patience with anonymous stories and hearing only one side. These things are all better handled privately, from all parties concerned.

#11 opus7600

opus7600

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

I hope there is an amicable outcome. I have to admit, I don't tend to have much patience with anonymous stories and hearing only one side. These things are all better handled privately, from all parties concerned.

Would that it could be resolved privately. The technician sent an email BBC'd to...I don't know how many other repair persons. He was "kind" enough to include me, so that I would know he had done it. With that salvo being fired, I was left with very little recourse but to use this shotgun method of reaching the parties that got the email to convey my take on the situation.

I am sorry for those of you who did not get the original email and are confused. Again, I offer you the opportunity to view the original email, if you would like, but I will not post it here. The point of this post is not to have my revenge, and not to rub salt in wounds. That has already been done by the other party. I am just here to try to salvage what little is left of my reputation with these repair people whose help I may require someday.

#12 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:25 AM

Would that it could be resolved privately. The technician sent an email BBC'd to...I don't know how many other repair persons. He was "kind" enough to include me, so that I would know he had done it. With that salvo being fired, I was left with very little recourse but to use this shotgun method of reaching the parties that got the email to convey my take on the situation.

I am sorry for those of you who did not get the original email and are confused. Again, I offer you the opportunity to view the original email, if you would like, but I will not post it here. The point of this post is not to have my revenge, and not to rub salt in wounds. That has already been done by the other party. I am just here to try to salvage what little is left of my reputation with these repair people whose help I may require someday.

Why the technician didn't simply request the pen be returned, fix it regardless of who was at fault ( while I've already stated my personal view on why it doesn't mean I'm actually correct...) and move on defies logic. His apparent actions cast doubt on both his workmanship and you as a client....nobody wins yet for a few hours work your pen would be fixed and you would be more than happy with the outcome and the after sales service would have assured his reputation remained intact. I suspect you won't recommend him to anyone yet in a couple of weeks all the recipients of his email will have forgotten your name....

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#13 travberg

travberg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Sorry you have a problem.
Well, the nib was not damaged when you received the pen from repair. It looks like it was dropped, but if you did torque the cap on???
Was the cap seated when you received the pen? I can only guess that your actions caused an unbent nib to be damaged. Had you sent the pen back for a new problem (cap seating, nib extended to far,) you would not had a problem. Sorry.

#14 opus7600

opus7600

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Well, the nib was not damaged when you received the pen from repair. It looks like it was dropped, but if you did torque the cap on???
Was the cap seated when you received the pen? I can only guess that your actions caused an unbent nib to be damaged. Had you sent the pen back for a new problem (cap seating, nib extended to far,) you would not had a problem. Sorry.

You assume a level of knowledge I freely admit I do not possess. I was not then, and probably am not now, able to distinguish by sight a feed that is too far out of the section.

#15 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

A restored pen generally should have nib placed properly such that routine cap closure *cannot* damage the nib. I've seen the tool Ron and Richard use for assessing depth. While extenuating circumstances can be imagined, if in fact a simple cap closure twisted the nib after the pen/nib was restored, that should not have occurred.

regards

david

Posted Image

#16 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

Interestingly this topic was shut down over on the FPN. Strange really as it is an important issue overall in the context of what you should/shouldn't expect when having a pen repaired . The various opinions on both boards are interesting although I'm mystified how anyone can think that screwing the cap on as designed and that action results in nib damage is anything but shoddy workmanship.

Regards
Hugh

PS. On second though I've decided I would like to see the offending email....if for no other reason to ensure I avoid that "repairer".
Hugh Cordingley

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

Interestingly this topic was shut down over on the FPN. Strange really as it is an important issue overall in the context of what you should/shouldn't expect when having a pen repaired . The various opinions on both boards are interesting although I'm mystified how anyone can think that screwing the cap on as designed and that action results in nib damage is anything but shoddy workmanship.

Regards
Hugh

PS. On second though I've decided I would like to see the offending email....if for no other reason to ensure I avoid that "repairer".

A topic that invites passionate and sometimes conflicting opinion was shut down on FPN? Shocking ;)

-d

Posted Image

#18 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:26 AM

A topic that invites passionate and sometimes conflicting opinion was shut down on FPN? Shocking ;)

I'm clutching my pearls as we speak. Then again, we aren't speaking, we are typing.

I think "FPNuts" has been mis-assigned. ;)

#19 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

I'm clutching my pearls as we speak. Then again, we aren't speaking, we are typing.

I think "FPNuts" has been mis-assigned. ;)

Man! I was so sure this thread would survive longer than the "EBay Seller using My Pen Photos Without Permission" thread. In that thread, two members are close to calling each other names and making it personal. So much entertainment.

#20 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Regards
Hugh

-d

Shocking?....no, just predictable !!

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users