47 replies to this topic

#1 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAlamo, CA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Just a quick message to alert the pen world that the WAHL-EVERSHARP pen company is now reformed and will unveil its line of never before released pens at the LA Pen Show. A dedicated web-site for the company will be up and running by the time of the show, too. What would the pens of EVERSHARP have looked like had the company not fallen on hard economic times in the late '40s and '50's and been sold to Parker and continued in production as a top quality pen company? What new materials, nibs and designs would have been made over the past 60 years? These and other questions will be answered soon! Stay tuned.

<br style="color: rgb(29, 48, 56); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(234, 236, 237); ">
Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein
Pensbury Manor
The WAHL-EVERSHARP PEN COMPANY
and Home of Pensbury Manor Black Hard Rubber Pen Potion No.9
and GREAT KNOBS! for cars

#2 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Even more fun in just a few weeks time - thanks for the heads-up!

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Oh yer....another "old" name rising from the dead with absolutely no connection to the original about to try to cash in on something they never had anything to do with. If you want to make pens just have the guts to put your own name to them and build your own reputation rather than the "Conway Stewart" model of deceit.
Hugh Cordingley

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Oh yer....another "old" name rising from the dead with absolutely no connection to the original about to try to cash in on something they never had anything to do with. If you want to make pens just have the guts to put your own name to them and build your own reputation rather than the "Conway Stewart" model of deceit.

Time will tell. One can of course object to any name resurrection. Certainly a flood of modern anythings makes it hard to find vintage versions on ebay (clutter happens), but we manage it still with Parker (which is not a resurrection of course). But, resurrected names can be done nicely. Richard's Bexley "New Dunn" pens are a very nice tribute to the original. If Syd and (perhaps) some of his buds have bought or licensed the Wahl name (last owned by Parker iirc) and noting that the new Wahl Sklyines from around 1992 (licensed permission iirc from Parker) were nice pens, I have some hope the pens will respect the original. I would prefer that each Deco Band not be a 7" monster dwarfing the original, that the plastics not be those modern swirl patterns every kit company sells. I collect purely vintage, but I hope Syd has fun with this project and I have fair hope it will be done in manner respectful to the original Wahl name. At least Howard is making roller clips....

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAlamo, CA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Everyone will judge for themselves, but the new Wahl-Everharp pens will bear striking resemblance to the original designs on which they are based and have evolved as we believe they would have if the company had continued as a premier pen maker. You will see the influence of original form but with modern materials, filling systems, nibs, etc. I hope when out it will be obvious these are not just some new contextually unconnected pens with an old revived name. The maker, having been a Wahl-Eversharp devotee for over 15 years and steeped in the knowledge gained over that time it is believed we have a very good handle on the products and the designs to work from. We visualize this project as carrying on one of the proudest names in pen history.

BTW, David, You mention Parker in the deal process, but alas, Parker was 2 steps back in the name chain. The new pens come with a brochure that finally and definitively traces the brand from beginning to now.

Syd

Edited by Wahlnut, 01 January 2013 - 05:54 PM.

Pensbury Manor

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Everyone will judge for themselves, but the new Wahl-Everharp pens will bear striking resemblance to the original designs on which they are based and have evolved as we believe they would have if the company had continued as a premier pen maker. You will see a striking resemblance to original form but with modern materials, filling systems, nibs, etc. I hope when out it will be obvious these are not just some new contextually unconnected pens with an old revived name. The maker, having been a Wahl-Eversharp devotee for over 15 years and steeped in the knowledge gained over that time it is believed we have a very good handle on the products and the designs to work from. We visualize this project as carrying on one of the proudest names in pen history.

BTW, David, You mention Parker in the deal process, but alas, Parker was 2 steps back in the name chain. The new pens come with a brochure that finally and definitively traces the brand from beginning to now.

Syd

All good. I've made no claims to closely following the recent trail of ownership of the Wahl trademarks, etc ;)

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#7 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Come on, Hugh, it's a New Year - muster up some positivity! ;)

#8 travberg

travberg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Syd,
Best wishes and will look for the new pens during the L A show. Will save some of the budget to buy at least one, (did I really say one, never ever just buy one)!

#9 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Everyone will judge for themselves, but the new Wahl-Everharp pens will bear striking resemblance to the original designs on which they are based and have evolved as we believe they would have if the company had continued as a premier pen maker. You will see the influence of original form but with modern materials, filling systems, nibs, etc. I hope when out it will be obvious these are not just some new contextually unconnected pens with an old revived name. The maker, having been a Wahl-Eversharp devotee for over 15 years and steeped in the knowledge gained over that time it is believed we have a very good handle on the products and the designs to work from. We visualize this project as carrying on one of the proudest names in pen history.

Syd

Syd

Clearly for you this is a "dream come true" and on that I wish you the best, being "up front" about the history is always good. Making what will essentially be "fantasy" models is just that. Wahl made some stunning pens through the '30/'40s but by the end they where fairly plain and uninspiring. Their final design ended up as the Parker 45 , a very longest lived model, so the direction is clear from a historical perspective and that they failed is also clear. Had Eversharp survived it's clear ballpoints made in China would be the main product, FPs made anywhere but the US would would be a secondary line ( Parker and Sheaffer prove this).

At the end of the day you'll be making "fantasy" models, having a lot of fun and probably producing pens both functional and attractive. Relevant to the original W-E ? No.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Syd

Clearly for you this is a "dream come true" and on that I wish you the best, being "up front" about the history is always good. Making what will essentially be "fantasy" models is just that. Wahl made some stunning pens through the '30/'40s but by the end they where fairly plain and uninspiring. Their final design ended up as the Parker 45 , a very longest lived model, so the direction is clear from a historical perspective and that they failed is also clear. Had Eversharp survived it's clear ballpoints made in China would be the main product, FPs made anywhere but the US would would be a secondary line ( Parker and Sheaffer prove this).

At the end of the day you'll be making "fantasy" models, having a lot of fun and probably producing pens both functional and attractive. Relevant to the original W-E ? No.

Regards
Hugh

Nah. If companies were not allowed to return to their roots, we would not have modern Parker Duofolds. I have not heard of the mosaic modern Duofolds called "fantasy pieces"

regards

david

Posted Image

#11 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAlamo, CA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Syd

Syd

Regards
Hugh

Hugh, We are producing offshoots of the Skyline first because we have all the molds and tools already. We also have a number of the classic reproduction Skylines in the line. Next year Flat Tops/Deco Bands and the year after that Dorics. Not really fantasy pens. But in some cases modernized as in our opinion would/could/should have been made moving well past he 50's. The far end of the spectrum is only as far as the original design will stretch. As an example,Here's that far out end:

the Carbon Fiber Skyline:

Posted Image

And here is the Aluminum from the Technic Series:

Posted Image

Fantasy? Well Yes, but well grounded Fantasy, preserving the basic design, but with updated materials, and details. Thats the idea. Not everyone will be on board with this, but we think it breathes life back into a dead brand rather than grabbing a well known name for a quick buck. This is at least an 8 year project unfolding. Maybe this helps separate me/us from being a mere name grabber opportunist. I hope so. Its all about integrity. you be the judge whether the new pens are relevant to the original line.

Syd
Pensbury Manor

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Who is "we".

regards

David

Posted Image

#13 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Best of luck with your new venture. FWIW, I think both the carbon fibre and aluminium Skylines look fantastic.
What filling system do they use ?

Unfortunately, I suspect that they will be out of my price range for some time to come...

#14 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAlamo, CA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Who is "we".

regards

David

We is me and Emmanuel Caltagirone. He handles the Production and I the Distribution. We are equal partners in the production equipment.
Pensbury Manor

#15 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Who is "we".

regards

David

We is me and Emmanuel Caltagirone. He handles the Production and I the Distribution. We are equal partners in the production equipment.

Thanks.

The use of "we" in pendom tends to range from the royal "we" to hints at unspecified consortia. At least here we have a sensible "we" ;)

d

Posted Image

#16 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAlamo, CA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Who is "we".

regards

David

Thanks.

The use of "we" in pendom tends to range from the royal "we" to hints at unspecified consortia. At least here we have a sensible "we" ;)

d

Whee! We isn't royal but we are no mere wee wee either.Posted Image
Pensbury Manor

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Oui.

-d

Posted Image

#18 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAlamo, CA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Best of luck with your new venture. FWIW, I think both the carbon fibre and aluminium Skylines look fantastic.
What filling system do they use ?

Unfortunately, I suspect that they will be out of my price range for some time to come...

The filling system is standard Screw piston converter or Waterman (long) size cartridge. I don't want to slip into selling here on this forum. I will do that in the proper place when it is appropriate. To answer you comment about affordability, these particular pens are slated for about $250. Many others in the line up will be much less and a few, more.
Pensbury Manor

#19 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAlamo, CA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Oui.

-d

OY!
Pensbury Manor

#20 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

Syd

Regards
Hugh

Nah. If companies were not allowed to return to their roots, we would not have modern Parker Duofolds. I have not heard of the mosaic modern Duofolds called "fantasy pieces"

regards

david

Really!! A company disappears some 50 yrs ago....only to re-emerge....somehow I think the link with the "roots" well and truly severed !! W-E ceased to be a pen maker a long time ago, just the name lingered on. Parker, or course, has never disappeared and is in essence the original maker and owner of it's patents and allowing it to make any previous model it wants to ( use it's own history itself ). There is a difference.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users