8 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Golden brown, striped Waterman 513J. Medium semiflex 14K Waterman #7 size, keyhole nib. Flexes to broad plus. There is a crack in the lower body of the nib, well away from the breather hole & doesn't hinder writing at all. The cap & barrel ends are orange with celluloid necrosis. I've stabilized the surface with an acetone wash to keep it from crumbling. They are solid and stable now. The metal button on the cap is rusted/oxidized & is black. The clip has corrosion blow outs from under the plating. Honey amber visuilated section. This all sounds a lot worse than the reality of things. In the end this is just a great user pen.

$125.00

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

Isn't this a dangerous pen to sell because of the fluorescing on the end of the pen and the cap? From what I have learned from a number of pen repair people, this fluorescing is dangerous, it releases sulphur and can cause damage to other pens.

#3 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

Not in the slightest. Your in more danger standing next to a running car or smoking a cigarette. The sac & HR inner cap out gas sulphur in micro amounts that takes decades to effect the pen. It MAY do something to other pens if they are sealed in a closed environment for years on end. Sitting in an active tray or box thats opened once in a while will be fine. It's not like there are toxic fumes pouring off of the pen that you could set off a hazmat alarm with...lol.

#4 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

No I learned that the off gassing from the fluorescing would also damage other pens kept in the box and was told to keep my other pens away from them for their own safety. Perhaps this would be a good question to put before other repair individuals who have more history with such.

#5 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

I have been involved with repairs for 17 years. I think I may have a handle on this. Personally I call BS on the contaminating other pens line. YMMV, but that is my position.

#6 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

You can call BS if you choose to, that is your choice.

How stable are the ends with the fluorescing?

As I sat at a table with a number of experts on pens last year it was explained to me to separate my bad parts of pens which had fluorescing from my good pens for their own safety. I choose to believe them and have chosen to follow that practice to save my other pens.

Once again, I choose to trust a number of different repair experts. My choice

As always, buyer beware and hopefully their decisions will be good decisions.

Edited by PatMorgan, 04 January 2013 - 04:37 AM.

#7 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

Reduced to $100.

#8 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

I really need this to move on down the line. Make me an offer I can't refuse.

#9 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Final reduction $75, pretty much what the parts are worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users