• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Richard

Richard

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

I may not be an expert on Morrison pens, but I do know a little about the Patriot and its WWII-era siblings. Well, I recent discovered that the common Patriot, the one with the cool syringe filler, didn't start out that way. It turns out that Morrison not only made the first batch of crested Patriots as lever-fillers but also, when wartime restrictions on rubber forced a redesign to the syringe version, included with at least the early batches of syringe-fillers a note apologizing because the pens weren't lever-fillers.

Here's the version we all know and love:
Posted Image

And here's the version of which I will now have to acquire an example:
Posted Image

Anybody got one for sale? :)

signature_richard.png

Click to send emailrichard@richardspens.com

#2 TomS

TomS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Hi Richard,

As it happens, the only Patriot set that I have in my collection is a lever filler in army green, left unrestored since time has been quite kind to it, nor am I likely to turn it into a daily user. It isn't for sale, at least not currently, but I hoped it might interest you, and, if it goes for sale, I will give you the right of first refusal. This is a quick picture of the set, as found, and there is a close up of the imprint in my gallery. The nib reads: MORRISON No 7 Reg US (and then whatever is too far imbedded in the section for me to see!). I assume that the lever fillers came in the three colours?

All the best to you,

Tom

Posted Image

#3 Richard

Richard

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Nice set!

I assume that the lever fillers came in the three colours?

Three? Do you know something I don't? So far as I know, Army, Army Air Forces, and Marine crested Patriots are all OD. Navy crested Patriots are black. There were Patriots without crested Cameo Top caps, and these came in several colors, including at least OD, gray, blue, black, and burgundy.

signature_richard.png

#4 TomS

TomS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Richard, I doubt there is anything I know about pens that you don't. I have only held the greens and blacks, but I had assumed there was a navy blue. It would be nice to see a spread of as many versions as there are all grouped.
T.

#5 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

there's a couple of these on sale on ebay right now, but no lever fillers.
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#6 TomS

TomS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

Richard,

Do you know if all of the crests on these Partriots were painted? I've seen several that showed no trace of paint, and others that were painted. Here's a shot of the lever filler's crests.
T.

Posted Image

#7 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

Tom,

The painted crests are the exception; unpainted are the rule. Not "rare" but certainly much less common than the unpainted versions.

Interesting that your painted crest is on a lever filler while mine is a syringe filler. I wonder if anyone has anything better than observational info on this.

John
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#8 Shadow Wave

Shadow Wave

journeyman

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

The only Patriot I have is a black lever filler, with the RAF roundel. It doesn't have the slanted top. I'm unsure how common the different variants are.

All of the Morrisons I have (3) happen to be excellent writers. I'm very fond of the brand (but not too knowledgable!)

#9 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Here is the only one I have... a USN Patriot with gold nib that was wonderfully restored by Richard.....

Posted Image
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#10 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Many years ago, while collecting filling systems unknown to me I bought this pen. It had not a nib and I could never find one (maybe I did not look as insistently as I should).
Maybe someone here is interested. I will be in LA Pen show in a few days and we can trade or something, just let me know.
Regards, Ariel

#11 Richard

Richard

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Okay, I have acquired a lever-filling Patriot.

The clip was dog meat, so I swapped the cap for another that I had, but the replacement had no band. I removed the band from the discard, but it was:

• Too wide because earlier Patriots had wider bands than later ones, and
  • too big in diameter because sizes varied due to manufacturing tolerances.
The width problem was quickly solved by a trip to the lathe, where I introduced the cap to a cutoff tool to widen the groove, and the diameter problem succumbed to a visit to the swaging press.

Overall, the pen is quite nice, and I extend my thanks to the person who sold it to me.

There remains one problem: Neither cap bore a crest, and I have no spares. Anybody got a decent-quality Patriot crest (Army, Army Air Forces, or Marines, on a cap or off it) to sell?

signature_richard.png

#12 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

there is a OD piston filler up for sale in the, well... for sale section. It is what I understand to be a complete pen in good condition, but needs rebuilt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users