2 replies to this topic

#1 Benzod

Benzod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

Hey Guys. I joined this board in hopes of getting some info on this pencil I found. It says on it "WAHL EVERSHARP" and under that "18K. SOLID GOLD PAT. MADE IN USA" Still has lead in it. Monogram on the end and initials in the center of the pencil. I am looking to sell it if anyone is interested but I don't know the value of it, in the first place or where to go to sell. Any info would be great. I am a Clock repairman and i'm use to dealing with old things but this is a bit out of my area of expertise. I have a another pic as well on my profiles albums.

Posted Image

Edited by Benzod, 31 January 2013 - 04:34 AM.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hey Guys. I joined this board in hopes of getting some info on this pencil I found. It says on it "WAHL EVERSHARP" and under that "18K. SOLID GOLD PAT. MADE IN USA" Still has lead in it. Monogram on the end and initials in the center of the pencil. I am looking to sell it if anyone is interested but I don't know the value of it, in the first place or where to go to sell. Any info would be great. I am a Clock repairman and i'm use to dealing with old things but this is a bit out of my area of expertise. I have a another pic as well on my profiles albums.

Hi,

You found a nice pencil. It was made in the mid 1920's and was matched to a similar pen if one wanted a set.

Yours looks to have a hand engraved flower or vine pattern (limited view in pic). Several patterns were offered. Most were 14k, but occasional 18k appears, though I'll have to review my period catalogues to confirm the matching pen could be had 18k.

Here is a set i own, 14k iirc, this one a mix of engine turned lines and hand engraved flowers.

Posted Image

Wahl metal could be had in silver-filled, gold-filled, sterling, solid gold

Value is tricky. The isolated pencils don't pull huge collector bonus, barring special pattern, and unfortunately gold has spiked in value, such that metal value in some cases matches collector value. Before though you just weigh it and offer it for "melt", do realize the pencil has a hefty degree of base metal in the mechanism, which likely accounts well more than half the weight of the pencil.

A clear picture or two and an auction on ebay in the Fountain Pen Wahl section could do well for you. It's tough for me to give a hard dollar value outside that as these don't change hands so often. Or you could just pick price, offer it about and see how it goes.

Thanks for sharing. It is a neat pencil.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Benzod

Benzod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll try that.

Hi,

You found a nice pencil. It was made in the mid 1920's and was matched to a similar pen if one wanted a set.

Yours looks to have a hand engraved flower or vine pattern (limited view in pic). Several patterns were offered. Most were 14k, but occasional 18k appears, though I'll have to review my period catalogues to confirm the matching pen could be had 18k.

Here is a set i own, 14k iirc, this one a mix of engine turned lines and hand engraved flowers.

Posted Image

Wahl metal could be had in silver-filled, gold-filled, sterling, solid gold

Value is tricky. The isolated pencils don't pull huge collector bonus, barring special pattern, and unfortunately gold has spiked in value, such that metal value in some cases matches collector value. Before though you just weigh it and offer it for "melt", do realize the pencil has a hefty degree of base metal in the mechanism, which likely accounts well more than half the weight of the pencil.

A clear picture or two and an auction on ebay in the Fountain Pen Wahl section could do well for you. It's tough for me to give a hard dollar value outside that as these don't change hands so often. Or you could just pick price, offer it about and see how it goes.

Thanks for sharing. It is a neat pencil.

regards

david

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users