25 replies to this topic

#21 plmadding

plmadding

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

Cynthia it sounds like yours would be a 47C. Medium w/ clip. Do you agree Hugh?

By the way, Hugh I unfortunately didn't win that lovely Symetrik. I'm a little spent at the moment. Oh well better luck next time!

-Preston

#22 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

Hi Preston,

So you think a later model flat top than in the catalogue? Would make sense that it may then end up like Cynthia's, the addition of the crescent, lack of grooves, tapered cap and lower clip would be a potential "natural" progression in which case the 47C moniker may well be correct...anyone got a '31 catalogue?.

Strange as it may be perhaps Conklin missed a great opportunity with not progressing this shape, Wahl seemed to do quiet nicely with the Doric which in general shape Cynthia's pen reminds me of.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#23 plmadding

plmadding

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

Hi Hugh,

I think the 7 in the code indicated it was a flat top Endura. The first digit was the size, 37C is a small Endura in black, 47C is a medium Endura in black, and 67C is the long Endura in black. Cynthia's is the 47C based on the measurement. If the pens were produced as they are shown in the 1930-31 catalog the flat top Endura was now streamlined except for in the color mottled blue.

In the 1930-31 catalog it shows the streamlined flat top Endura with the crescent and no "annular lines' as Conklin called them. The catalog does show the Endura with the older non-streamlined look having the annular lines only in the color mottled blue.

Preston

#24 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hi Preston,

My 1930 catalogue is different, I see yours on Bill's site with the pen as you say. Interesting !! Must have had 2 cats n the same year. The page I scanned isn't in his, and the next scan is likewise from my 1930 cat....I might have to invest in another one !!

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#25 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

After a lesson from Preston I had a look around for one of these late model flat tops....and bingo...picked up this one . I have a spare clip and will get Ron to attend to it in good time, interestingly an 18ct nib.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#26 plmadding

plmadding

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

Hi Hugh,

Looks like it will be a quite nice pen after the clip is attached!

-Preston

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users