163 replies to this topic

#1 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I was rather bemused by a recent topic regarding "Crazypencollector" on ebay. In a lot of ways the topic ended up very much in the realm of how you should describe items, etiquette and the like. While a bit of a "bash" the fact the seller in question fronted up, answered and accepted criticism and in a lot of cases accepted he could have handled things better was a positive. Anyway not only closed but invisibilised ( yes...the famous Conway forum... known for it's "liberal" attitude..) yet a topic at the heart of buying and selling pens on ebay, strange logic.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#2 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Did you really expect any better from that childish lot ? - again this incident further reinforces the view that CS must have some financial stake in FPN.

I have no particular beef with the seller concerned either. Seemed OK enough when I dealt with him.

#3 Deb

Deb

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

As I understand it, the thread was removed because crazypencollector included someone's private email in a post. There might have been other ways of addressing the situation, of course, such as redacting that post alone and leaving the rest of the thread. I was one of those who requested that admins deal with the situation. Having your email address out there where the bots can harvest it isn't some thing you'd want.

This one wasn't of quite the same order as daring to criticise the most recent version of Conway Stewart.

#4 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

This had been running for some time. Of course if the only active moderator of the forum had acted to calm things down earlier (rather than simply being preoccupied with how best to use the forum to showcase CS products) the situation might have been handled better......

The one big surprise in that forum at present is that the topic 'Currently visiting the CS factory During this week' is still open and visible. It is full of CS quality and customer service bashing and includes a suggestion that Ms Burke should resign (or be removed) as a moderator because of the potential conflict of interest. Several of us here have been harangued by admins or even banned for suggesting such heresy in the past! Are we due an apology?!!

Andy

#5 Deb

Deb

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

This had been running for some time. Of course if the only active moderator of the forum had acted to calm things down earlier (rather than simply being preoccupied with how best to use the forum to showcase CS products) the situation might have been handled better......

The one big surprise in that forum at present is that the topic 'Currently visiting the CS factory During this week' is still open and visible. It is full of CS quality and customer service bashing and includes a suggestion that Ms Burke should resign (or be removed) as a moderator because of the potential conflict of interest. Several of us here have been harangued by admins or even banned for suggesting such heresy in the past! Are we due an apology?!!

Andy

You're absolutely right. Moderation only seems to be applied to adverse criticism of the modern Conway Stewart and their products. In any other context, is there an active moderator? The recent critical thread is a huge exception. I think you are due an apology. I wouldn't put any money on you getting one, though!

#6 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Andy

You're absolutely right. Moderation only seems to be applied to adverse criticism of the modern Conway Stewart and their products. In any other context, is there an active moderator? The recent critical thread is a huge exception. I think you are due an apology. I wouldn't put any money on you getting one, though!

I'm sure the BDC will attend to that thread (Currently visiting..) with his usual wit and charm in a "politically correct" ( the Kim Jong Um style of politics..) manner at some point. I hadn't looked at it, thanks for that pointer Andy !! Seems more of the same old same old, anyway CS has survived far longer than I thought possible which given the QC issues is remarkable. At least "old mate" Ghost Plane hasn't deserted CS !! On Andy getting an apology, I'm with you Deb...keeping my money "in pocket".

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#7 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

I know of crazypencollector. Has a FB group I joined. Seems honest enough. I can't stand disappearing topics, and I saw that one...

#8 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

Were they talking about the same guy listing a Canadian 51 with a supposed white gold fill cap?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380585012039
Zoom in on the cap photos and look at the location of "Parker" and the GF imprint in relation to the converging line pattern, the crudely engraved look of the lettering, and the lack of a tab at the top of the cap to keep the clip from rotating. In one photo, you can see start-stop lines at the base of the line pattern.

Edited by matt, 27 February 2013 - 04:50 AM.

#9 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Were they talking about the same guy listing a Canadian 51 with a supposed white gold fill cap?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380585012039
Zoom in on the cap photos and look at the location of "Parker" and the GF imprint in relation to the converging line pattern, the crudely engraved look of the lettering, and the lack of a tab at the top of the cap to keep the clip from rotating. In one photo, you can see start-stop lines at the base of the line pattern.

It looks a bit suspect, in a degree of fairness iirc he did ask about it in the now gone topic. I'm sure he's "featured" here before with a "parts" pen, not that it implies any "malice" as such. Be interesting to see what those well versed in 51s think.

Regards
Hugh

Edited by Hugh, 27 February 2013 - 09:44 AM.

Hugh Cordingley

#10 crazypencollector

crazypencollector

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hi folks.Sorry about that thread.I could of handled it much better.I am making amends to all involved and have learned from it and thankful for it.
I am trying hard to not present articals or parts that are not " kosher " so to speak nowadays,and stick to buying earlier complete pens that I know are original and being sure to not call something original that isn't.I tend to stay away from most parts lots now,and DEFINATELY from any funny looking 51's.
I am also in the process of toning down my ads and letting the buyers decide what it is worth.And being doubly careful as to how much I splay flexible nibs in my pictures.
I have also been reminded how important my buyers are and that alot of them know more than me in many things,and have rediscovered the respect they deserve.
As to the Parker 51 with the White Gold Filled Cap- I found it at a Flea Market in St Catharines 2 Sundays ago-All parts as you see them.I thought it was a steel cap when spotted in the display case,then I thought that the gold was all worn or shined off,then remembered that base metal on these are brass...Then looking closer,I noticed that the lines are still crisp,so it hasn't been shined on. So please believe me that it was found as seen and I offer anyone to give their knowledge,as I will be the first to say that I am NOT that informative on Parker 51's,have never seen a cap like this,but DO believe it is original,because of the condition it is in like the rest of the pen was-scratchy,dirty,ect.I have asked others and havn't had any answers to it.Anyone can send it back of course with no problems from me.I hope I answered everything that I should of.Thank you for reading this and if you have any questions,please ask.Please excuse my spelling.Thank you

#11 crazypencollector

crazypencollector

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Hugh,there is NO tab. Is that a clear indicator to it being a copy? I will take it off right now if it is.The "12K gold Filled" imprint does look weak...I will go into the 51 area and see/ask right now. If it turns out that is is not right,I will end the ad.Not that I think its a fake at all-I really don'yt know,but I do not want to be wrong in presenting it. Thank you

It has just been suggested that the cap base metal might be Sterling instead of Brass and tends to turn the Gold Filled coating White. I am looking for ways to test the inside for silver content. Any help is appreciated

I just ended the auction until I know more. That is the right thing to do. I don't need the stress. I will check for silver content when I figure out how.I think I may be able to use my gold testing acid somehow-watch it go green?...Any info is still appreciated. Thank you

Edited by crazypencollector, 27 February 2013 - 10:55 PM.

#12 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

Hugh,there is NO tab. Is that a clear indicator to it being a copy? I will take it off right now if it is.The "12K gold Filled" imprint does look weak...I will go into the 51 area and see/ask right now. If it turns out that is is not right,I will end the ad.Not that I think its a fake at all-I really don'yt know,but I do not want to be wrong in presenting it. Thank you

It has just been suggested that the cap base metal might be Sterling instead of Brass and tends to turn the Gold Filled coating White. I am looking for ways to test the inside for silver content. Any help is appreciated

I just ended the auction until I know more. That is the right thing to do. I don't need the stress. I will check for silver content when I figure out how.I think I may be able to use my gold testing acid somehow-watch it go green?...Any info is still appreciated. Thank you

Hi,

I know next to nothing about 51s so I'm of no help. I,personally, don't think you need to apologize about the now deleted topic as at did touch on a number of elements of buying and selling on ebay which is a big part of pen collecting ( to me anyway being over here in Australia). That you put your point of view and accepted a number of the points others raised was positive for all involved.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#13 crazypencollector

crazypencollector

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

Hi,

I know next to nothing about 51s so I'm of no help. I,personally, don't think you need to apologize about the now deleted topic as at did touch on a number of elements of buying and selling on ebay which is a big part of pen collecting ( to me anyway being over here in Australia). That you put your point of view and accepted a number of the points others raised was positive for all involved.

Regards
Hugh

Thank you Hugh.I appreciate the kind words.Thank you,Herb

#14 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

I second the motion; childish lot; if you are old enough, you may remember the TV program for kids called "Romper Room." Aptly describes what goes on there. Entertaining, but not worth my valuable time. I have been put on "suspension" so many times for minor infractions that I can't count now; even to the point of being put on suspension for having opinions on my own website without mentioning any board or blog site; kinda funny in a way, and sad in another.

Financial state? From what I was told, its more then that, ha ha!

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

Edited by Greg Minuskin, 28 February 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#15 crazypencollector

crazypencollector

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

Wow,hi Greg,I've seen your name many times and it's nice to see/meet you.I know of your work and am very impressed. I actually have 1mm tipping here and might try to do some tipping,in a very crude manner,although I think it might work. It will be fun trying:) A pleasure to see you:) Herb
Uh,Romper Room is before my time ( all shifty eyed here )

Edited by crazypencollector, 28 February 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#16 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

This forum is definitely more deep than FPGeeks or FPN. FPgeeks is even cracking down now :blink::angry: (I think.) But I think there are some AMAZING topics of FPN that are uncomparable. There are also great people there too. Yes, it is sometimes childish, but sometimes very interesting as well. This is a stern site with great information and debating, while FPN is somewhat more for "entertainment" purposes perhaps?

#17 crazypencollector

crazypencollector

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

This forum is definitely more deep than FPGeeks or FPN. FPgeeks is even cracking down now :blink::angry: (I think.) But I think there are some AMAZING topics of FPN that are uncomparable. There are also great people there too. Yes, it is sometimes childish, but sometimes very interesting as well. This is a stern site with great information and debating, while FPN is somewhat more for "entertainment" purposes perhaps?

Great to see you Will,My FB Bud:))) Thank you for the kind words before. I was just thinking of you earlier. Talk soon

#18 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Andy

I'm sure the BDC will attend to that thread (Currently visiting..) with his usual wit and charm in a "politically correct" ( the Kim Jong Um style of politics..) manner at some point. I hadn't looked at it, thanks for that pointer Andy !! Seems more of the same old same old, anyway CS has survived far longer than I thought possible which given the QC issues is remarkable. At least "old mate" Ghost Plane hasn't deserted CS !! On Andy getting an apology, I'm with you Deb...keeping my money "in pocket".

Regards
Hugh

Well, wrong on that....last time I looked the thread was still running and the only thing standing out is the absence of one Mary Burke and a "golden silence" from CS that seems to be noticed by some unhappy customers. Now I'm curious as to what's going on.... especially as I've been forecasting the demise of CS for some time yet it keeps on keeping on to the point where I was again thinking I would be proven wrong...
Hugh Cordingley

#19 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

All a bit mystifying, I agree. I rather doubt they have finally seen the light and decided to allow free and open debate on such matters!

My guess from this distance would be that CS have finally pulled the plug on any funding they may have been giving to FPN, therefore the powers that be now don't give a stuff regarding anything that is said because they know CS don't have the money to take any legal action against them, however rude people might be! If this in turn means Mary Burke is no longer allowed to use the forum for advertising, she will no doubt have lost interest and may have become yet another 'ghost' forum moderator. Look down the lists of FPN forum moderators and see how many of them have actually posted anything anywhere in the last few months.....

However, for the first time in 3 years CS did make an appearance at our local pen show last Sunday. Perhaps I should have gone to the stand and made some discrete enquiries, unfortunately I was in a hurry and busy spending money on some glorious vintage CS elsewhere in the room!

Andy

#20 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

All a bit mystifying, I agree. I rather doubt they have finally seen the light and decided to allow free and open debate on such matters!

My guess from this distance would be that CS have finally pulled the plug on any funding they may have been giving to FPN, therefore the powers that be now don't give a stuff regarding anything that is said because they know CS don't have the money to take any legal action against them, however rude people might be! If this in turn means Mary Burke is no longer allowed to use the forum for advertising, she will no doubt have lost interest and may have become yet another 'ghost' forum moderator. Look down the lists of FPN forum moderators and see how many of them have actually posted anything anywhere in the last few months.....

However, for the first time in 3 years CS did make an appearance at our local pen show last Sunday. Perhaps I should have gone to the stand and made some discrete enquiries, unfortunately I was in a hurry and busy spending money on some glorious vintage CS elsewhere in the room!

Andy

Seems I have been a bit too cynical - Mary has returned today with a sick-note to spoil a lovely theory!

No doubt now normal service will be resumed, all the wrong-doers will be admonished severely for holding opinions disrespectful to CS and the forum will be treated to a pageant of all the new models in the time honoured fashion.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users