#141 aschup

aschup

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationParis, for now

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

That doesn't excuse is abhorrent style of management best described as "North Korean".....

I think you mean "Best Korea."

#142 welch

welch

journeyman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

It seems that one member of FPN had the notion that buying -- even buying nib tuning -- from a sponsor would be a good thing. It would edge into the unethical if FPN pushed members to buy only or mostly from "sponsors".

(1) I didn't know there were sponsors...can't easily find it mentioned. (2) While I know that Amazon tracks me and tries to "enhance" my browsing by suggesting books it thinks I might want, I also know that those are simply advertisements, and, (3) most of all, that Amazon wants to sell me something.

FPN ought to be a more-or-less neutral forum for fountain pen fanatics. If an on-line pen&ink seller wants to buy an ad, so be it. I know an advertisement when I see it. It would be borderline unethical if the admins at FPN were silently pushing sponsored products.

C-S is a strange forum. I skip it.

Oh, and I will miss hearing about Henry Simpole. Bad decision.

#143 tenney

tenney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

A very very bad decision. Henry, his comments and discussions about his work, are what makes a community.

#144 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

A very very bad decision. Henry, his comments and discussions about his work, are what makes a community.

Actually, I think you have misunderstood a little - I don't necessarily think the 'Henry' thread will wither and die, the point I was making is that I thought it was grossly unfair that the thread should now be classified as a commercial one given everything else that still goes on unfettered throughout FPN. I think it is even more unfair if Henry should feel that in future he has to pay a premium membership to continue to tell FPN members what he is up to.

As tenney implies above, those with power at FPN should think more about the benefits Henry's presence brings to FPN rather than vice versa. To those qualities I ascribed to FPN administration and moderation in my earlier post, I should also have added 'meanness of spirit'.

Andy

#145 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

Unfortunately there are many words that can describe FPN management and it's decisions.....all of which I know very, very well...and none acceptable in "polite" company....actually if you compared Brandon and his antics to Wim and his....Brandon starts to look the more normal.....now that's seriously disturbing.Posted Image....there must be a pill for this, surely, heck I'll just have another "red"..

Regards
Hugh

Edited by Hugh, 04 June 2013 - 10:21 AM.

Hugh Cordingley

#146 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey (USA)

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Who's Henry Simpole??

Posted Image

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

We sell quality, known brands at reasonable prices!!

(Use forum code "FPC" to receive an additional discount of 5%!)

http://www.federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)

Like Us on Facebook!

Follow our Group(s) at Linked-In!

#147 Beringsea

Beringsea

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Who is John Galt?

Sometimes I can't help myself.

#148 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Who is John Galt?

Sometimes I can't help myself.

HELL...there are days I wonder WHO THE HELL I AM....... :blink:
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#149 tenney

tenney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

Who's Henry Simpole??

http://www.henrysimpole.com/
He does many silver and gold overlays and is well known for his Conway Stewart ones too. He also has a permanent booth at a London antique collective that he's at every Saturday selling pens he's acquired and repaired and getting pens to be repaired. He's a great guy, friendly, nice, does great work, and a real artist at overlays.

#150 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

In speaking about FPN, should it not be "Where is Henry Simpole?"

#151 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey (USA)

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the correction- and, getting the joke!!

;)

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

We sell quality, known brands at reasonable prices!!

(Use forum code "FPC" to receive an additional discount of 5%!)

http://www.federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)

Like Us on Facebook!

Follow our Group(s) at Linked-In!

#152 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

As it happens, Henry called me earlier today about something completely different but we touched on all this. He too was a little perplexed about where he was and why he felt he had been made to sit in the FPN naughty chair! I know he has now read this thread (he hadn't actually heard of FPB or FPG before today, though he had been vaguely aware of Pentrace!) and I hope some of the background is a little clearer to him than it was.

Andy

#153 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

I know he has now read this thread (he hadn't actually heard of FPB or FPG before today, though he had been vaguely aware of Pentrace!) and I hope some of the background is a little clearer to him than it was.

Andy

A different perspective would be enlightening no doubt. Reading this topic would also require a degree of patience!! Yet again the "logic" of such acts on the part of Wim ( or the FPN in general) are hard to comprehend and seem to be best described as "in the worst interests of the FPN". The reality is the "nest" isn't that big that you can't fill it up with "s%^t", when it fills there's not much of value left Posted Image. My dear friend Wim, if anything, has proven to be a very slow learner....

Warm Regards..Posted Image..
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#154 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

Late to the party as usual.

This board strikes me as the Friday at a pen show that requires the weekend trader pass, while FPN is Saturday and Sunday general admission. Nobody is excluded from either, but people tend to gravitate to the place they'd prefer to be. I think that's pretty cool and necessary.

I will say this - there are people on FPN that get very uppity when they find out you've listed your pens elsewhere (pentrace). I got a note saying "you are disrespecting the board".

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#155 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

I found this topic had a rather amusing end...despite verging on the absurd, really how stupid can it become.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#156 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

It's been a few weeks since I've been on here!
In the meantime, over on the FPNetwork, [since the thread:- Has anyone heard of Henry Simpole had been moved to a different forum] it appears to have gathered momentum in terms of the viewer's numbers, everyday. Sadly very few of these viewers seem to want to actively participate, and actually 'post' anything on there!
But I can't complain, in fact I'm really quite pleased about the change over!
Truffle Finder.Posted Image

#157 cedargirl

cedargirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

I think I have reached a happy medium with FPN. I do visit - there is a lot of good info there.
I do post occasionally, but mostly view.
But here is where I draw the line - I do not visit their classifieds any more. I will not buy from FPN. So if they want to sell to me (hey, of course they do!), they better list elsewhere.
------------------------
Claire

#158 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:14 AM

It's been a few weeks since I've been on here!
In the meantime, over on the FPNetwork, [since the thread:- Has anyone heard of Henry Simpole had been moved to a different forum] it appears to have gathered momentum in terms of the viewer's numbers, everyday. Sadly very few of these viewers seem to want to actively participate, and actually 'post' anything on there!
But I can't complain, in fact I'm really quite pleased about the change over!
Truffle Finder.Posted Image

Someone should start a new thread; 'Where is Henry Simpole' in the old thread forum and see in they get it.

#159 tmenyc

tmenyc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

Yeah, I've been a regular on FPN for awhile, but find I learn much more here. So I'm here too now... but still there as well. I do enjoy some of the chatty kinds of threads, and the "which 10 pens would you keep one" has been good, as well as a number of the ink comparison threads. Clearly there's room for both.

Tim

Edited by tmenyc, 15 July 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#160 tenney

tenney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

Interestingly, today I saw a pen on FPN classifieds that I haven't seen here or 2-3 other sites. If any of y'all don't want to buy from FPN classifieds as a "statement", that's fine by me... it reduces the chances of someone else competing with me (should I find something I really want). For me, I'm happy to look anywhere for a reliable seller of a pen that I'm looking for.

I do know that some (many?) folks are avoiding FPN on principle. Me, I'll look at the classifieds and infrequently check their forums. Yes indeed, now the posters with the most knowledge are posting here and not on FPN, so I check here much more often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users