28 replies to this topic

#21 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:48 AM

John, Interesting that "Raven Black" crops up as early (assuming the pencil dating on the Advert is correct) as 1896

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#22 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:56 AM

John, Interesting that "Raven Black" crops up as early (assuming the pencil dating on the Advert is correct) as 1896

regards

david

Also interesting: take a look at the star breather hole in the Parker 20's nib.

Regards,
George

#23 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

Mistakenly I got the Giant mixed up with the Senior. I thought the cap was band less, but a closer look shoes two (missing bands, looking at a picture, so sorry for wasting anyone's time). So I thing what I have is a Parker Duofold Senior/Sir. With two cap bands and its a button filler.

I do apologize if I wasted anyone's time. I did learn a thing or two.

Brandon,

I don't think you've wasted anyone's time. There's some good info that was presented in this thread.

Black Giants are eyedropper pens, though.

#24 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:36 AM

Mistakenly I got the Giant mixed up with the Senior. I thought the cap was band less, but a closer look shoes two (missing bands, looking at a picture, so sorry for wasting anyone's time). So I thing what I have is a Parker Duofold Senior/Sir. With two cap bands and its a button filler.

Brandon,

I don't think you've wasted anyone's time. There's some good info that was presented in this thread.

Black Giants are eyedropper pens, though.

Yes they are, a far cry of a button filler.

#25 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

regards

david

Yes, it's interesting they were using that terminology as early as the 1890s for "black".

The date on the advertisement should be pretty accurate, as it shows both overfeeds and underfeeds. There was an overlap in manufacturing of both for a few years in the mid-to-late 1890s. I assume that happened because customers may not have trusted that "new fangled" underfeed. :)

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#26 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

This is one of the reason that it's best to start with photos instead of cryptic descriptions when asking questions about a pen. It was a good conversation however.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#27 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:48 AM

This is one of the reason that it's best to start with photos instead of cryptic descriptions when asking questions about a pen. It was a good conversation however.

John,

I can't agree more. If I could post pictures I would, hopefully in the coming months I can take a group photo of all these months acquisitions.

#28 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

John,

I can't agree more. If I could post pictures I would, hopefully in the coming months I can take a group photo of all these months acquisitions.

Why can't you post photos?

#29 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

To Scale...

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users