• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

My first ever Vacumatic is on its way. Woops, did I forget to mention I bought 3? Oh yea, and three pencils too. Sorry, but no gold bands. But anyway, from what I've gathered the Maximas are the ones with the blue diamond clip models with DJ's. Is this true? What would the same pen be called without the extra jewel?

Edited by brando090, 15 April 2013 - 04:43 AM.

#2 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

My first ever Vacumatic is on its way. Woops, did I forget to mention I bought 3? Oh yea, and three pencils too. Sorry, but no gold bands. But anyway, from what I've gathered the Maximas are the ones with the blue diamond clip models with DJ's. Is this true? What would the same pen be called without the extra jewel?

Brandon,

Vacumatic identification has a LOT of factors involved. A Vacumatic is not necessarily a Maxima if it has two jewels. In fact, all Vacumatics had two jewels through 1941. What makes a pen a Maxima is the size of the pen. In most cases, a Maxima with two jewels will have a 5mm wide band with a chevron pattern. It will also be about 139 mm in length.

It is possible to have a double jewel pen with a blue diamond clip that is a Maxima, a Slender Maxima, a Major, or a Debutante.
It is also possible to have a double jewel pen with a NON blue diamond clip that is a Maxima.
It is also possible to have a SINGLE jewel pen with a blue diamond clip that is a Maxima.

You should read David's "Slender Maxima Debate" essay here which identifies characteristics of several different models.

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

When you get the pen put up a picture and the dimensions. If the pen came from eBay just link to the auction. Much easier than guess work.

#4 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:11 AM

Was it this auction, by any chance? If this is your auction: I thought you've bough from ebay before. Why does it show the winning bidder, then, as a new registered user?

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

Regards,
George

#5 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:46 AM

Was it this auction, by any chance? If this is your auction: I thought you've bough from ebay before. Why does it show the winning bidder, then, as a new registered user?

Regards,
George

His account was suspended due to his age.

#6 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

Looking at the title of this thread:

First Vacumatic
No Knowledge, Teach Me

Oy the chutzpah.

How about asking people respectfully to teach you.

As it was explained to you previously, no one is under any obligation to teach you anything. You are a guest like everyone else. It is a privilege to be here and to be a part of such a wonderful group of people. Respect the privilege and from there it will help you mature.

There was a saying about free advice, it is worth the price you pay for it. That can be true in many respects. It can also be the most valuable thing a person can receive. Even pro-bono advise, unsolicited can have incredible value. Just a thought for you to ponder.

#7 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

Regards,
George

His account was suspended due to his age.

His first account, Brando090 was suspended. Not sure about the second one, Branny090 which has some interesting feedback which can be viewed under bidder.

Brandon as we know is a minor and is not supposed to be bidding or selling on EBay. It is against the TOS. For me, someone who cannot respect basic terms of service is a red flag. If they cannot be trusted with respecting the rules of one place, how could I trust them in other areas.

But that is just me.

#8 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

Brandon,

Vacumatic identification has a LOT of factors involved. A Vacumatic is not necessarily a Maxima if it has two jewels. In fact, all Vacumatics had two jewels through 1941. What makes a pen a Maxima is the size of the pen. In most cases, a Maxima with two jewels will have a 5mm wide band with a chevron pattern. It will also be about 139 mm in length.

It is possible to have a double jewel pen with a blue diamond clip that is a Maxima, a Slender Maxima, a Major, or a Debutante.
It is also possible to have a double jewel pen with a NON blue diamond clip that is a Maxima.
It is also possible to have a SINGLE jewel pen with a blue diamond clip that is a Maxima.

You should read David's "Slender Maxima Debate" essay here which identifies characteristics of several different models.

Thank you very much,

I knew there would good articles from David Issacson somewhere floating around.

Also just to put out there, I'm no longer on eBay. I'm just going to sell at flee markets until I'm 18.

#9 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:55 AM

Looking at the title of this thread:

First Vacumatic
No Knowledge, Teach Me

Oy the chutzpah.

How about asking people respectfully to teach you.

As it was explained to you previously, no one is under any obligation to teach you anything. You are a guest like everyone else. It is a privilege to be here and to be a part of such a wonderful group of people. Respect the privilege and from there it will help you mature.

There was a saying about free advice, it is worth the price you pay for it. That can be true in many respects. It can also be the most valuable thing a person can receive. Even pro-bono advise, unsolicited can have incredible value. Just a thought for you to ponder.

I agree, and I think I may have came off a little too eager,i need to scale it back.

#10 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:58 AM

Brandon,

Thank you very much,

Also just to put out there, I'm no longer on eBay. I'm just going to sell at flee markets until I'm 18.

You purchased the following on April 8th:

181118268379 Apr-08-13 Apr-08-13 04:13:16 GBP 225.00 Waterman's silver encased vintage fountain pen unique customized cap with snake Purchased on:
Apr-08-13 04:13:16
See All Buyers laranda5

When bringing up the account it states you are no longer a registered user, were you caught again being underage on Ebay? Hmmm?

#11 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

Brandon,

Thank you very much,

You purchased the following on April 8th:

181118268379 Apr-08-13 Apr-08-13 04:13:16 GBP 225.00 Waterman's silver encased vintage fountain pen unique customized cap with snake Purchased on:
Apr-08-13 04:13:16
See All Buyers laranda5

When bringing up the account it states you are no longer a registered user, were you caught again being underage on Ebay? Hmmm?

Pat,

What is exactly your purpose, I don't understand what your problem is. Can the world not have young entrepreneur? This is what the world is based on. Its extremely discouraging when your having someone so concerned with the little things, that you can no longer jump into as hobby with both feet.

Also stop dirtying up my threads. If you have a problem start a thread regarding your hatred towards young entrepreneurs such as myself or message me. This is no way to go about your feelings.

Edited by brando090, 16 April 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:26 AM

Pat,

What is exactly your purpose, I don't understand what your problem is. Can the world not have young entrepreneur? This is what the world is based on. Its extremely discouraging when your having someone so concerned with the little things, that you can no longer jump into as hobby with both feet.

Also stop dirtying up my threads. If you have a problem start a thread regarding your hatred towards young entrepreneurs such as myself or message me. This is no way to go about your feelings.

Do note that "Can the world not have young entrepreneur?" is a Straw Man. Meaning the answer (either way) has nothing to do with what Pat raised, and thus is a distraction. All your subsequent complaints about dislike for entrepreneurs thus are a bit iinane.

But, to answer your question, for Pat, which might be presumptuous of me, I believe Pat is expressing doubts about your integrity. Your responses tend not to reassure. You either ignore or attack.

What you call "little things" are things which to many decent people, are issues of character.

Pat might be a bit emphatic in pointing these out, but the concern is not hers alone.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#13 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

Pat,

Do note that "Can the world not have young entrepreneur?" is a Straw Man. Meaning the answer (either way) has nothing to do with what Pat raised, and thus is a distraction. All your subsequent complaints about dislike for entrepreneurs thus are a bit iinane.

But, to answer your question, for Pat, which might be presumptuous of me, I believe Pat is expressing doubts about your integrity. Your responses tend not to reassure. You either ignore or attack.

What you call "little things" are things which to many decent people, are issues of character.

Pat might be a bit emphatic in pointing these out, but the concern is not hers alone.

regards

david

David,

We both know I can't reassure about something if I know nothing about it. I apologize about sometimes attacking others for my lack of information on a certain item, as I thought my facts were right when in doubt some minor imperfections just needed a polish.

Edited by brando090, 16 April 2013 - 05:36 AM.

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

David,

We both know I can't reassure about something if I know nothing about it. I apologize about sometimes attacking others for my lack of information on a certain item, as I thought my facts were right when in doubt some minor imperfections just needed a polish.

I don't quite follow that, but suggest just being straight in interactions. It will serve you better.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#15 TomS

TomS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

David,

Your courtesy and patience concerning this person's posts is more than commendable, if not a bit exasperating. I can only hope I would be so understanding.

T.

#16 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

[/quote]

Pat,

[/quote]

I have not been up to par to answer this message for the last few weeks. There is a great deal going on off line so I was not able at the time to respond to this message. I can do so now.

Brandon, you might want to believe you are a young entrepreneur and that is fine, do you really think a large number of people you have had contact with on this board and other boards think of you think this way?

Your remarks and the way you present yourself as I had once said in a message to you was this:
Some news for you Brandon, I honestly do not know if you do not understand what people are telling are you here because of your youth, or due to another reason because things seem to be flying over your head. I am hoping it is the audacity of being a teenager because at least there is the opportunity for growing up.

You cannot go away then return and expect everyone to look at you differently. One has to prove and earn that they are different, made improvements and show they are grown up. Have you done that, shown the people on this board that indeed you are no longer the immature individual you displayed yourself to be?

Your remark about making 18 dollars an hour and the manner in which you said it to me displayed an attitude of superiority. Earning a certain amount of money above minimum wage does not make you better or superior to others. There are people who earn 8 bucks an hour and supervise staff members and work their tails off to make ends meet. Welcome to Walmart where it is the only place that some people can get jobs. Or stores like JCPenney or Target. Managers who make 10 dollars an hour and deal with a great deal.

There are 911 operators who are responsible for hundreds of calls a month to hundreds calls a week who do not earn 18 dollars an hour in parts of this country, tell me, are you superior to them because you are earning 18 dollars an hour? These are people who listen to stories of grandmothers being raped, assaulted and left for dead by addicts who are strung out on the latest version of crystal meth and they have to extract information to get enough of a description for probable cause to pull someone over in a car. They take calls of children who are abused and harmed and then go home and have to deal with the issues of wondering if they are too harsh when their child has a marker to the wall. I can tell you that 911 operators have a great deal of stress in their lives. If they invert the numbers on an address it can kill. It can kill many people. For example, a fire at 139 South Main St and the address is actually 193 South Main St. The distance could be 1 mile and when seconds matter in a fire, it can mean life and death especially if the person in that location is disabled.

So if you want to impress people you do not state look at me as you had done in this message: Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

I finally turned 16 and was offered a job at $18 an hour and I'm being promoted manager in the upcoming months.

Personally I would not trust any company that makes a minor a manager. How can a minor legally make the decisions of a manager? The liability would be astounding. A minor cannot legally consent. While there are mature minors there are many who are not. Personally I would not a minor being a manager in a facility of mine even it is directing others in when to clean, when to take a break and which area to do next.

BTW your remark if you are leaning you are not cleaning is one that might be a necessary adage for the work, but personally if my supervisor said that to me, we need to have a discussion about how to treat one's staff.

Stop trying to impress people, it does not work.

In your camera thread you started you stated what camera you and what you were hoping to buy. Okay, I remember when I was 17 and worked for 3 months each afternoon and Saturday while in high school to purchase a camera. The cost of my Canon FTB-N was 232.52. My mom said if I earned 2x as much as the camera cost I could buy the camera and put half in the bank. I did. At the same time, I was going to school to study photography to make a profession out of it. But there was one thing I had to learn, having a professional style camera was never going to make me a better photographer. I needed to learn how to be a better photographer using what I had and let the judges of my portfolio determine if I had enough talent to cultivate. And no camera costing lots of money would ever make me a better photographer.

You are going to be looked at as a youth because that is what you are. it is quite terrific that you have a desire to work. That is all well and good. There is a difference between wanting to work to earn a living and wanting to work because one is greedy and wants money, more money, and is willing to be less than ethical to get their cut of the profits.

You stated previously you were taking business classes. I give you these articles to read and you can determine things about business.
http://www.time.com/...2081930,00.html

http://www.theweek.c...al-ruin-harvard
http://www.phillymag...rican-business/

http://news.slashdot...ded-by-the-mbas

Put in the google search mba's ruining business and see from there what you get and you decide what you can read how the MBA's in the last 30 years have not necessarily made business for people. Cost vs Quality.

And now to this line:

===========

Brandon, the only people who I will take direction from concerning what I place or do not place in the thread on this board is from the advisers, moderators or forum owner. Kindly understand that.

Also it might be a good time for you to consider rethinking your statement about hatred towards young entrepreneurs. Do you really want to make that statement? Is your self importance and self image so inflated that you want to make that statement? Rethink it and make the statement again.

#17 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

Brandon, bump to you

You made the following statement concerning me:

Pat,

[/quote]

My statement to you:

Also it might be a good time for you to consider rethinking your statement about hatred towards young entrepreneurs. Do you really want to make that statement? Is your self importance and self image so inflated that you want to make that statement? Rethink it and make the statement again.

============
Where is your reply to me on this.
Thank you.

#18 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:01 AM

My question is, why would you want me to rethink my statement, not that I shouldn't, but what do you want me to do...

Just so you can learn a bit about me, maybe read up about my astrological symbol;

http://www.huffingto...gy/aries/about/

Edited by brando090, 06 May 2013 - 02:02 AM.

#19 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:05 AM

Here is your chance again.

You made a statement about me and I am giving you the chance to rethink determining if you want to retract it, then apologize for it, keep it and do nothing, expand upon it based upon further conversations we have had,

So what are going to do?

And PS,

Your link to me about Aries is not a good thing to do.

#20 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:15 AM

Here is your chance again.

You made a statement about me and I am giving you the chance to rethink determining if you want to retract it, then apologize for it, keep it and do nothing, expand upon it based upon further conversations we have had,

So what are going to do?

And PS,

Your link to me about Aries is not a good thing to do.

I feel dumb asking... but why is it a bad thing....

Also I will retract that statement. And I apologize for any hurt feelings.

I understand many of the older generation hate being told by a younger generation what to do, and what not to do, so I have to understand this at times. This is just a general statement, not referencing any particular people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users