50 replies to this topic

#21 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Andy,

Love your site, and always great information. Your photographs are superb.

Nice compliment, thanks, but unfortunately, I don't actually have a website..........!

Andy

Woops,

I always thought this was your site;

http://www.andys-pens.co.uk

#22 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

1/20 the price? Stolen goods? Damaged goods? How many actuations on the camera? What was the condition of it?

Very few are going to sell a camera such as that for a low price unless there is something wrong with it or they need to get rid of it.

Perfect your craft and worry about spending money for such a camera as the Canon 5D and the 100mm lens much later when you can state you have perfected your craft.

There is a big difference between need and want. Okay you want it. Do you need it?

Let's just say, its like buying a pen for restoration.

Repairing digital cameras is like repairing hard drives.

Let us know how it works out.

#23 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

1/20 the price? Stolen goods? Damaged goods? How many actuations on the camera? What was the condition of it?

Very few are going to sell a camera such as that for a low price unless there is something wrong with it or they need to get rid of it.

Perfect your craft and worry about spending money for such a camera as the Canon 5D and the 100mm lens much later when you can state you have perfected your craft.

There is a big difference between need and want. Okay you want it. Do you need it?

No it is not.

Where do you get this off the wall idea to make such a statement.

#24 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Last May I purchased a new camera after years of using a 5mpx Canon S2.

When I first bought the Canon, the were two known bugs immediately recognized by Canon and announced. The first that the camera did not like batteries and would always tell you even with brand new batteries that new batteries were needed. Canon never addressed this bug and let it remain. The second bug was that the lens would extend and then get caught part way and the dreaded E008 error would come about. This happened to me after owning the camera 6 weeks and I was set to go on vacation. The camera was sent back to Canon under warranty. All paid for repairs including shipping. When the camera returned the focus was slightly off. The IS was slightly off. I could tell the difference. Back it went to Canon. It was never as wonderful as the day I purchased it.

The Canon camera is now in stages of suffering debilitating brain issues. Sometimes the lens extends. Sometimes it shuts off. Sometimes the focus needs a few seconds to realize that the object in 2pm sunlight on the beach which is a rock on the sand is not going to move and it is safe to focus on it. The camera has over 50,000 photos taken with it. It lasted 7 years which I am told is quite decent for the use.

My new camera which was purchased last May is a Nikon 5100 body with a Sigma 18-200 lens. It does what I need it to do. I do miss the macro and did not think at the time to purchase the Tamron 18-270 macro lens. My error.

Around October the lens started to have problems focusing. It would focus on an object and then off focus. Thankfully it was under warranty and I took it to the repair shop which was in Manhattan and a long walk from the subway. it took them over 10 days to repair the camera having to get parts from Japan to repair it. The bill read that the entire electronics was replaced. The focus today is decent, not excellent. It never was with this lens at certain lengths and I am aware because it is a long range zoom and live with it. For me, I need a multizoom because changing lenses with my hands which have serious dexterity problems is not good. Spinal cord injury affects my hands.

My camera has 13,000 actuations in one year which makes it quite old and used in camera speak I am told by the sales people at BHPhoto when I visit. Try and resell it they tell me and it is not worth 1/2 of what I paid for it due to this. And for me this is fine, I will live with it.

When I am ready for a new camera I will move towards micro 4/3 because it is smaller, lighter and has some very interesting things about it. Right now carrying my camera around with me after about an hour, hurts. Almost 3lbs around the neck hurts. It did not hurt like this when I was in my 30s and had 5 lbs of my old Canon FTB around my neck with a large zoom lens and other lenses, it hurts now. Aging is not fun.

Your analogy of trying to fix a hard drive is spot on. A mechanical camera from the 1970s was able to be repaired in one day for some things if there were parts around. Happened to me numerous times with my Canon FTB. Went to the Japan show each year and it was cleaned, adjusted, and given back to me in less than 2 hours. A part was once needed, it took 3hours to give me a new curtain. Today with electronics, well...

The audacity of youth.

#25 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Really....

I'll talk to a Canon repair man and see if he makes that same comparison. Wait, did I say repair person? Yes I did, one who can fix them. A new sensor, LCD,etc can all be replaced.

#26 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

When I first bought the Canon, the were two known bugs immediately recognized by Canon and announced. The first that the camera did not like batteries and would always tell you even with brand new batteries that new batteries were needed. Canon never addressed this bug and let it remain. The second bug was that the lens would extend and then get caught part way and the dreaded E008 error would come about. This happened to me after owning the camera 6 weeks and I was set to go on vacation. The camera was sent back to Canon under warranty. All paid for repairs including shipping. When the camera returned the focus was slightly off. The IS was slightly off. I could tell the difference. Back it went to Canon. It was never as wonderful as the day I purchased it.

The Canon camera is now in stages of suffering debilitating brain issues. Sometimes the lens extends. Sometimes it shuts off. Sometimes the focus needs a few seconds to realize that the object in 2pm sunlight on the beach which is a rock on the sand is not going to move and it is safe to focus on it. The camera has over 50,000 photos taken with it. It lasted 7 years which I am told is quite decent for the use.

My new camera which was purchased last May is a Nikon 5100 body with a Sigma 18-200 lens. It does what I need it to do. I do miss the macro and did not think at the time to purchase the Tamron 18-270 macro lens. My error.

Around October the lens started to have problems focusing. It would focus on an object and then off focus. Thankfully it was under warranty and I took it to the repair shop which was in Manhattan and a long walk from the subway. it took them over 10 days to repair the camera having to get parts from Japan to repair it. The bill read that the entire electronics was replaced. The focus today is decent, not excellent. It never was with this lens at certain lengths and I am aware because it is a long range zoom and live with it. For me, I need a multizoom because changing lenses with my hands which have serious dexterity problems is not good. Spinal cord injury affects my hands.

My camera has 13,000 actuations in one year which makes it quite old and used in camera speak I am told by the sales people at BHPhoto when I visit. Try and resell it they tell me and it is not worth 1/2 of what I paid for it due to this. And for me this is fine, I will live with it.

When I am ready for a new camera I will move towards micro 4/3 because it is smaller, lighter and has some very interesting things about it. Right now carrying my camera around with me after about an hour, hurts. Almost 3lbs around the neck hurts. It did not hurt like this when I was in my 30s and had 5 lbs of my old Canon FTB around my neck with a large zoom lens and other lenses, it hurts now. Aging is not fun.

Your analogy of trying to fix a hard drive is spot on. A mechanical camera from the 1970s was able to be repaired in one day for some things if there were parts around. Happened to me numerous times with my Canon FTB. Went to the Japan show each year and it was cleaned, adjusted, and given back to me in less than 2 hours. A part was once needed, it took 3hours to give me a new curtain. Today with electronics, well...

The audacity of youth.

I am very sorry you have had such bad camera troubles.

If your interested, my camera is for sale with a 28mm lens, or 100mm lens.

#27 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Really...

I'll talk to a Canon repair man and see if he makes that same comparison. Wait, did I say repair person? Yes I did, one who can fix them. A new sensor, LCD,etc can all be replaced.

When you are finished fixing your camera I have a WD Caviar on my desk that needs attention.

I happily bow to your wisdom.

FarmBoy...from the middle of Silicon Valley wishing he was in the Windy City

#28 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Really....

Should be an interesting outcome

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#29 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

Really....

Should be an interesting outcome

d

Probably a bin job.....bits for these things are so damned expensive. That;s why broken ones are cheap.

#30 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

Really....

For what price can they be replaced? What is the warranty on it? Extended warranty on it. My lens failed under warranty. I purchased an extended warranty on it also which is transferable should I choose to sell the camera and the lens. I like insurance policies having had items fail for various reasons. My TV has an extended warranty. I did not take one an air conditioner that requires repairs and that failed after 2 years. Now to replace it which will be costly. I buy extended warranties on my computers.

But hey, what do I know? I just hang out with photographers who prefer to buy extended warranties on new equipment.

#31 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:03 AM

Really...

When you are finished fixing your camera I have a WD Caviar on my desk that needs attention.

Is it the audacity of youth or he just does not get it?

#32 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:20 AM

Really...

He hasn't gotten to the cost-benefit discussion in his management training yet.

Nor has the subject of planned obsolescence come up in economics.

Though I am unsure these subjects are still taught, I am sure David Hannum (or more popularly PT Barnum) was correct.

#33 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

The audacity of youth.

Thank you for the offer. But I believe you have forgotten my statements that I will not engage in sales with you because you are a minor. Also I will not engage in sales with you because of the unethical practices you have engaged in on this board, your disrespect for the terms of service of Ebay, and because I have seen you take apart a pen or two or more and then put them back together. From that alone I would not be sure to be trusting of you for any merchandise I might purchase from you even when you are of legal age. I choose to decline the offer of your camera and lenses on the basis of the reasons i have mentioned above.

My present camera is a Nikon 5100 which is a bit too heavy for me but it is serving its purpose. The next camera will more than likely an Olympus as I am very impressed with their products and watching what people have done with the Olympus OM-D-EM5 and the lenses for it and I see there is potential for me in it. It is light and listening to older photographers who can no longer carry large amounts of heavy equipment, it is the camera to get. Plus on DPReview it was last year's camera of choice. Something to look at for the future. The dynamic range is excellent. The lens I am using is an 18-200 zoom by Sigma. It does its job but I would have preferred a longer range lens with a macro in it.

My present DSLR is teaching me how to improve my craft. I hope I am doing so. This afternoon was a lovely day for photography, the light was wonderful and I know where I want to be during the week thanks to the spring light to perform some fun if I am able to this week. Remember, a photographer who is talented can find a way to make use of what is given to them to create within certain parameters good to incredible photographs. Lots of people captured history creating classic photos that have lived through generation after generation with a simple lens, a simple camera, an understanding of light and talent in composition and then the darkroom. They did not have the opportunity to carry around more than a certain number of film negs and holders. It was way too heavy especially if they were walking up and down streets. Also for some a tripod. They had to take at most 3 photos and that meant changing the holder for their cameras if they were 4x5. With the advent of film rolls it made it easier.

What are they teaching you in photography in school? What have you learned.

#34 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

Really...

He hasn't gotten to the cost-benefit discussion in his management training yet.

Nor has the subject of planned obsolescence come up in economics.

Though I am unsure these subjects are still taught, I am sure David Hannum (or more popularly PT Barnum) was correct.

Thanks for the David Hannum reference, had to look it up as I did not know the proper story. I am glad i was able to do so, thanks.

His education needs work obviously.

#35 gweddig

gweddig

journeyman

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

...not me.

Edited to add: looks like this thread took a run today and I didn't refresh before posting.

Edited by gweddig, 05 May 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#36 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Really...

Hard drives are near impossible to fix, they are much more mechanical, than the new state of the are SSD's. The best option, is to try freezing it, and extracting information before it dies for good.

#37 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

The audacity of youth.

Thank you for the offer. But I believe you have forgotten my statements that I will not engage in sales with you because you are a minor. Also I will not engage in sales with you because of the unethical practices you have engaged in on this board, your disrespect for the terms of service of Ebay, and because I have seen you take apart a pen or two or more and then put them back together. From that alone I would not be sure to be trusting of you for any merchandise I might purchase from you even when you are of legal age. I choose to decline the offer of your camera and lenses on the basis of the reasons i have mentioned above.

My present camera is a Nikon 5100 which is a bit too heavy for me but it is serving its purpose. The next camera will more than likely an Olympus as I am very impressed with their products and watching what people have done with the Olympus OM-D-EM5 and the lenses for it and I see there is potential for me in it. It is light and listening to older photographers who can no longer carry large amounts of heavy equipment, it is the camera to get. Plus on DPReview it was last year's camera of choice. Something to look at for the future. The dynamic range is excellent. The lens I am using is an 18-200 zoom by Sigma. It does its job but I would have preferred a longer range lens with a macro in it.

My present DSLR is teaching me how to improve my craft. I hope I am doing so. This afternoon was a lovely day for photography, the light was wonderful and I know where I want to be during the week thanks to the spring light to perform some fun if I am able to this week. Remember, a photographer who is talented can find a way to make use of what is given to them to create within certain parameters good to incredible photographs. Lots of people captured history creating classic photos that have lived through generation after generation with a simple lens, a simple camera, an understanding of light and talent in composition and then the darkroom. They did not have the opportunity to carry around more than a certain number of film negs and holders. It was way too heavy especially if they were walking up and down streets. Also for some a tripod. They had to take at most 3 photos and that meant changing the holder for their cameras if they were 4x5. With the advent of film rolls it made it easier.

I do apologize for taking apart my various Waterman 12's, 0552's,0556's, and my Parker bakelite baby pen, let alone many other pens.

#38 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

The audacity of youth.

I do apologize for taking apart my various Waterman 12's, 0552's,0556's, and my Parker bakelite baby pen, let alone many other pens.

You do not seem to get it Brandon do you?

Your pens, your property, you can place them in a bonfire if you wish. They are yours to destroy if you want to. If they are your right so property, you take them and use them for whatever legal means you wish. Use them for playing darts with the nibs, take them apart and use the barrels to shoot spitballs out of them, that is your choice, your property. Why are you apologizing? Is this to apologize to yourself? Apologize to yourself all you want.

In this message to you which you have quoted, I stated the following:

You only chose to address the part where you took apart your pens. Nothing else in the above made an impact on you to discuss, to apologize for, just that you took apart various pens in your collection. You are only concerned about your collection and how you can money from it this seems to be to me, not about the things you have done that is unethical, not about your disrespect of the Terms of Service on Ebay and that people other than myself might be wary to engage in purchases and trades or even gifts with you because of your past actions. That you have taken apart pens to look at them is your right as the owner of the pen, but for every one of those transactions that you have engaged in where the pen was taken apart by you, were they put together by you without disclosure they were taken apart? Sold as - is with the disclaimer and disclosure that you took them apart? Did you send them off prior to any transaction of any kind to a responsible and reputable repair person prior who repaired and restored your damage.

In a message on this board you stated that you would not have difficulty with someone taking your pens for a period for inspection prior to payment. How cavalier of you. If the transaction does not go to your liking, will you then report as you have done previously about being taken advantage of?

In the message above I discussed with you things about photography, asked you a question about what you were taught in school, what have you learned? This is incredibly important.

As I stated in previous discussion in this thread, I learned studio photography of product shots with one light with a parabolic reflector and a clamp on the end. We used 4x5 cameras where we had to hold the bulb open manually timing our shot and hand held meters to gauge the tonal range of what we were shooting. We used a camera on a tripod and had to have a classroom/studio remain motionless while the shutter was keep open for as long as a minute plus. We used reflectors to light our objects and had to understand how light fell and how changes based on distance. We were only permitted 3 shots to make an advertisement for our project that would be accepted for publication as part of our assignment. We went to a darkroom, processed, printed a contact and then had to show it to the instructor who was the art director for the project and from there accept or reject our work. Acceptance was an A rejection was a C. A grade of B meant that it was in the running but we went with another, better luck next time. Our grades were subject to real time settings of how things went in the advertising world of the era. Our teachers were not Ph.D college professors, they were experienced real world art directors who worked for agencies in their real life and worked in our school to teach us the knowledge they had of how the real world acted. And my lesson in this was that I was not a great studio photographer and it was something I did not want to do. Can I do it today. Yes. Do I want to? No.

You came here asking for how people create their setups to get their shots? Question: If you are taking photography in school, doesn't your instructor in the photography class have the means to teach you how to product studio photography offering you the advice that is necessary to do the work and gain insight from it? You are more concerned about getting a camera with a macro lens and it being the camera your teacher has and from there believing you will have the equipment necessary to do the work when it can easily be done for less than that with the equipment you have now and a small investment if you know what you are doing.

So are you going to answer our questions when we ask you what are you learning, or are you not going to answer the question.

#39 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

The audacity of youth.

You do not seem to get it Brandon do you?

Your pens, your property, you can place them in a bonfire if you wish. They are yours to destroy if you want to. If they are your right so property, you take them and use them for whatever legal means you wish. Use them for playing darts with the nibs, take them apart and use the barrels to shoot spitballs out of them, that is your choice, your property. Why are you apologizing? Is this to apologize to yourself? Apologize to yourself all you want.

In this message to you which you have quoted, I stated the following:

You only chose to address the part where you took apart your pens. Nothing else in the above made an impact on you to discuss, to apologize for, just that you took apart various pens in your collection. You are only concerned about your collection and how you can money from it this seems to be to me, not about the things you have done that is unethical, not about your disrespect of the Terms of Service on Ebay and that people other than myself might be wary to engage in purchases and trades or even gifts with you because of your past actions. That you have taken apart pens to look at them is your right as the owner of the pen, but for every one of those transactions that you have engaged in where the pen was taken apart by you, were they put together by you without disclosure they were taken apart? Sold as - is with the disclaimer and disclosure that you took them apart? Did you send them off prior to any transaction of any kind to a responsible and reputable repair person prior who repaired and restored your damage.

In a message on this board you stated that you would not have difficulty with someone taking your pens for a period for inspection prior to payment. How cavalier of you. If the transaction does not go to your liking, will you then report as you have done previously about being taken advantage of?

In the message above I discussed with you things about photography, asked you a question about what you were taught in school, what have you learned? This is incredibly important.

As I stated in previous discussion in this thread, I learned studio photography of product shots with one light with a parabolic reflector and a clamp on the end. We used 4x5 cameras where we had to hold the bulb open manually timing our shot and hand held meters to gauge the tonal range of what we were shooting. We used a camera on a tripod and had to have a classroom/studio remain motionless while the shutter was keep open for as long as a minute plus. We used reflectors to light our objects and had to understand how light fell and how changes based on distance. We were only permitted 3 shots to make an advertisement for our project that would be accepted for publication as part of our assignment. We went to a darkroom, processed, printed a contact and then had to show it to the instructor who was the art director for the project and from there accept or reject our work. Acceptance was an A rejection was a C. A grade of B meant that it was in the running but we went with another, better luck next time. Our grades were subject to real time settings of how things went in the advertising world of the era. Our teachers were not Ph.D college professors, they were experienced real world art directors who worked for agencies in their real life and worked in our school to teach us the knowledge they had of how the real world acted. And my lesson in this was that I was not a great studio photographer and it was something I did not want to do. Can I do it today. Yes. Do I want to? No.

You came here asking for how people create their setups to get their shots? Question: If you are taking photography in school, doesn't your instructor in the photography class have the means to teach you how to product studio photography offering you the advice that is necessary to do the work and gain insight from it? You are more concerned about getting a camera with a macro lens and it being the camera your teacher has and from there believing you will have the equipment necessary to do the work when it can easily be done for less than that with the equipment you have now and a small investment if you know what you are doing.

So are you going to answer our questions when we ask you what are you learning, or are you not going to answer the question.

PatMorgan,

Im more than happy to answer your questions.

It will be next year, school year, when I'm a senior in which I'll be taking photography. So I don't exactly know the questions to your photography classroom questions.

As for making deals, I'm not going to report you, I strive to work out any outcomes that arrive, and if it can't be, we'll go our separate ways and maybe on the next transaction it goes to both parties likings.

Edited by brando090, 06 May 2013 - 01:34 AM.

#40 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:37 AM

As for making deals, I'm not going to report you, I strive to work out any outcomes that arrive, and if it can't be, we'll go our separate ways and maybe on the next transaction it goes to both parties likings.

To whom could you possibly report Pat?

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users