17 replies to this topic

#1 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:01 AM

hi, all--i recently acquired a duofold senior in the de luxe moderne pearl and black version (would that be the correct way of describing it?). unfortunately it has the usual discoloration issues, but what i'm intrigued by is the thin-fat-thin triple cap band. i have another one of these pre-streamlined pearl and black seniors with the triple cap band, but those are all even. i've seen the T-F-T band on some pearl-and blacks but none yet on an older, pre-streamlined duofold. what year would this date to, and what else is known about this model? many thanks!

Posted Image

jose

Edited by penmanila, 22 April 2013 - 01:01 AM.

Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#2 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

I can't speak too much about the TFT cap band, but it looks like your nib needs set a little further into the section.

#3 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

Hmmm, this is a conundrum. The T-F-T cap bands were introduced in 1932, well after the flat tops were retired. The Moderne Pearl and Black was introduced in 1928 and is shown in the first advertisements with the T-T-T triple cap band flat-top version. The only explanation that would make sense to me would be that Parker made replacement caps in the 1930s for flat tops, but used the currently produced cap band configuration. I have no evidence of this whatsoever. It's just a speculation.

Just an aside on the discoloration, when it's not really bad or blotchy, I like the browning on the plastic. I know that's heresy in the collector world, but I think it's aesthetically pleasing. The trick would be to get the cap to match.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#4 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:13 AM

thanks, guys. so, as i suspected, this is something of an anomaly, in that it's a flattop with a TFT triple band? i've never seen one before, so i guess this should be a keeper.

here's a closer look at that band:

Posted Image

Edited by penmanila, 22 April 2013 - 02:14 AM.

#5 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Maybe it was just a replacement---the outer cap of the streamline and original duofolds are the same right?

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

Maybe it was just a replacement---the outer cap of the streamline and original duofolds are the same right?

Hi Will,

I can double check, but the top end piece (black knurled portion) is wider than the top of the streamlined pen. It would overhang if it were placed on a streamlined cap. Too, I believe the flat-top cap is longer.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

The streamline cap tapers so that it is narrower at the top. The flat top is constant diameter. Always hated the term "flat-top", because it is a terrible description of the cap. B)

Oops, forgot to include the quote, but this is a reply to Will. I think this is what you were asking.

Edited by Procyon, 24 April 2013 - 07:50 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#8 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Looks as if the clip washer is covered by a separate piece of gold trim - is that something found on a Deluxe?

Edited by matt, 24 April 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#9 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Looks as if the clip washer is covered by a separate piece of gold trim - is that something found on a Deluxe?

Just on the flat top Deluxes.

Regards,
Allan

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Yep, that's the look, though it might just be a fatter washer ring. I must check sometime...

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#11 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

nm

Edited by Procyon, 24 April 2013 - 08:33 PM.

Regards,
Allan

#12 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Here is a comparison of the streamline and flat top Sr Duofold Deluxe in Black and Pearl. The caps are the same size in the threaded area, and they can be interchanged. The flat top cap is very slightly longer (less than 1/8 inch), the flat top barrel is about 1/4 inch longer than the streamline.

Posted Image

Here is a close up of the caps:

Posted Image
[/quote]

The gold band at the clip on the flat top is a separate piece. It is often missing on these pens.

Edited by Procyon, 24 April 2013 - 08:35 PM.

Regards,
Allan

#13 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

thanks for the further elucidation, folks--but we're still left with the mystery of what kind of animal or mongrel my T-F-T flattop is :blink:

#14 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:17 AM

I certainly don't know how it came about, but John Danza's explanation is a good guess. In any case, I don't think there are many of these out there, so I would hang on to it, if I were you! ;)

Regards,
Allan

#15 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:48 AM

here's a junior version of this thin-fat-thin square-topped duofold:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item53dfd08665

#16 penguy06

penguy06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

Hi there,

I'm just curious, eBay seller Firebreakline had one of these flat-top Seniors with the late-style cap bands, did I see a second one, or did you buy the one he had?

#17 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

hi--i've bought pens from firebreakline (without any incident, i must say), but this wasn't one of them. 

Hi there,

I'm just curious, eBay seller Firebreakline had one of these flat-top Seniors with the late-style cap bands, did I see a second one, or did you buy the one he had?

#18 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:59 AM

it's been a while, but another of these T-F-T flattop, non-streamlined seniors just turned up on ebay (missing the bottom band, but it's clearly T-F-T):

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

_57_zpsuholglub.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users