• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e78fc017a

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Wow, even at half off I wouldn't spend that much... Though i don't collect Vacumatics so maybe I'm missing something. A lovely pen, but boring nib, (I'm just not a fan of fine nibs, BORING). And only partially restored for that price? What's something like that generally worth? (I know the striped jewels makes it more valuable than my plain jeweled model, but still.)

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Wow, even at half off I wouldn't spend that much... Though i don't collect Vacumatics so maybe I'm missing something. A lovely pen, but boring nib, (I'm just not a fan of fine nibs, BORING). And only partially restored for that price? What's something like that generally worth? (I know the striped jewels makes it more valuable than my plain jeweled model, but still.)

It sounds as if it is a Vacumatic Standard. Retail for a really nice example today can range $260-280, restored with warranty from established retailer. The $800 for an unrestored pen with no warranty is... optimistic.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 entertainment

entertainment

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

I would have no problem paying that price after reading the quote from "Richard Bender" and knowing that I can use it as an eyedropper until I have the diaphragm replaced!

John

Edited by entertainment, 24 April 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#5 TimGirdler

TimGirdler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWhere the Waters Fall in "Stonewall"'s Virginia

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

The accompanying information in the listing does not, in any way, inspire any confidence in the "restorer." The mere suggestion that it can be an eyedropper, considering the "feed section" [!] "unscrews easily" makes me think the "restorer" has no idea of the use of or necessity of thread sealant.

Tim
Tim Girdler Pens (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

#6 opus7600

opus7600

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

I like how the "BEAUTIFUL CONTRAST OF THE BURGUNDY, GREAN AND PEARLESCENT STRIPING" is extolled as a good thing. I'm sure if the celluloid were crazed it would be even better for the additional contrast.

#7 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Looks like he is using that fisherman's tactic.... lets put the bait in the hook and pray a lot to get a gieant fish.... The problem is that the fishes are usually smart...

By the way, I have a Parker 21 for sale... you can have it at 150USD. Shipping is on me ;)

BR

Vasco

Edited by piscov, 24 April 2013 - 07:45 PM.

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#8 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

Quick, it's got a BIN of only $376!
Burgundy...striping. New twist on pretty well ambered.

#9 79spitfire

79spitfire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

WOW, can I have some of what this guy is smoking?

Semi restored WTH is that ? Wouldn't that be like being 'Semi Pregnant?'
Posted Image

#10 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

I've just bought an Emerald Pearl 9ct Jewellers band 1st Gen Vac fully restored in super condition from a pen retailer for a lot less than this pen even at the reduced price. Either I got a bargain or the seller has got his pricing a 'wee bit' off

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

I've just bought an Emerald Pearl 9ct Jewellers band 1st Gen Vac fully restored in super condition from a pen retailer for a lot less than this pen even at the reduced price. Either I got a bargain or the seller has got his pricing a 'wee bit' off

Hi Widge...

If the pen is a Slender, then the price at least was in the zone at < current asking for the other pen. If it a Standard, and if clean, I think you got rather the bargain. The solid gold cap-band pens are uncommon. However, they do fall somewhat under the radar, not having been addressed very often in collector chat, indeed trivially in print.

Here is a thread on that topic though. I've added a couple pens (not yet shown) to my collection since posting this.

SOLID GOLD CAP-BAND CANADIAN VACS

Do share image of your Vac

regards

david

Posted Image

#12 jkingrph

jkingrph

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationE. Texas, NE Louisiana

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

I have several and have paid nowhere neat that price.
Regards

Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users