23 replies to this topic

#1 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationConfoederatio Helvetica

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

Recently. I posted Pictures of a 1929 Pelikan here. There can be found lots of interesting informations about Pelikan 100 on the Internet. Most of the history is documented and well pictured. But I never found a complete cataloge of the different types of Pelkan 100 made during 1929-44. I thought it would be an interesting addition to the already existing informations and I did choose this board because I feel that here the detailed facts an informations are most appreciated.

Pelikan 1929

cap: hardrubber, no cap bands

cap top: hardrubber cylindrical shape, old logo

Barrel: one pice Bakelite Barrel with Celluloid binde

Piston: hardrubber mechanics and cork seal

nib: 14ct, heart hole

Posted Image

Pelikan 100 1931

cap: hardrubber two cap bands

cap top: hardrubber cylindrical shape, old logo,

Barrel: celluloid barrel with Celluloid binde and hard rubber section

nib: 14ct

Posted Image

Pelikan 100 1933-37

cap: hardrubber, two cap bands

cap top: hardrubber conicall shape, old logo

Posted Image

Pelikan 100 1938-40

cap: celluloid, two cap bands

cap top: celluloid, conical shape, new logo

Barrel: celluloid barrel with Celluloid binde and celuloid section

Piston: celluloid mechanics and cork seal

Posted Image

Pelikan 100 1940-42

cap: celluloid, two cap bands

Barrel: injection molded one piece barrel with Celluloid binde

Piston: injection molded mechanics and synthetic seal

Posted Image

Pelikan 100 1942-44

cap: celluloid, in most case knurled cap bands (this one is a bit special because there are no bands at all)

Barrel: injection molded one piece barrel with Celluloid binde

Piston: injection molded mechanics and synthetic seal, smooth filling knob

nib: Pd, or CN nib

Posted Image

Pelikan Limited edition "Originals of their time" 1998

cap: celluloid, old logo, two cap bands

cap top: celluloid conicall shape

Piston: mixed hardrubber and plastic mechanics with synthetical seal

nib: 18ct

Posted Image

Piston Mechanics

Posted Image

different Logos on cap top, the old, the new and he new old

Posted Image

Edited by Christof Z, 26 April 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Nice :)

Particularly the piston evolution.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Nice :)

Particularly the piston evolution.

regards

david

Thanks David. I have not fnished yet, I still am adding the Facts to the post, just wanted to save the Pictures...:)

#4 entertainment

entertainment

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Superb photos. Thank you for the information. I hope you will add the variations in the text on the cap top if that varied over time.

My 100 is like the 1942-44 model but with a 1940-42 cap. I have always wondered whether my cap top might be hard rubber since it looks slightly oxidized: slightly lighter and less shiny than the rest of the pen. Perhaps it has just received less polishing though to preserve the paint.

Edited by entertainment, 25 April 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#5 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

1366895192[/url]' post='23955']
Superb photos. Thank you for the information. I hope you will add the variations in the text on the cap top if that varied over time.

My 100 is like the 1942-44 model but with a 1940-42 cap. I have always wondered whether my cap top might be hard rubber since it looks slightly oxidized: slightly lighter and less shiny than the rest of the pen. Perhaps it has just received less polishing though to preserve the paint.

Of course, my catalog is not complete, in the meaning that there have been countless variations, and combinations of all different parts and materials. It is one of the main features of Pelikan 100, that most of the parts can be combined one to another. Especially during the war time years, Pelikan used every available part for manufacturing pens. My pictured timeline is just a theoretically thing and doesn't mean that there could not be other variants.

#6 entertainment

entertainment

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

I hope you didn't think I was being critical. I think this thread should be pinned as a reference.

And, of course, if you attempted to catalog every possible variation, the list would be incredibly unwieldy. My assumption after looking at your chart was that my pen is from the transition between the 1940-42 and the 1942-44 types, not that I had something special or unique.

John

#7 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

1366902542[/url]' post='23964']
I hope you didn't think I was being critical.

John

No problem with that. This is the place to discuss things to get wider knowledge.
Christof

#8 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

Great write up, will be sure to remember this thread when I receive any vintage Pelikans.

#9 Silviu

Silviu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Great post!

Sure helps identify your Pelikan 100 among the different types shown in the post.

Thanks Christof.

Can you show the old and later Pelikan logo's used for the 100 model?

Regards
Silviu

#10 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Great post!

Sure helps identify your Pelikan 100 among the different types shown in the post.

Thanks Christof.

Can you show the old and later Pelikan logo's used for the 100 model?

Regards
Silviu

This is one of the informations you'll find easily on the internet. For example here: Werner Ruettingers web site

Edit: Just added a Picture to the original post.

Edited by Christof Z, 26 April 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#11 Rick Propas

Rick Propas

journeyman

• ADVISORS
  • 227 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

Christof, apologies for the long delay in responding to a great chart. This is something that every collector should have. We should ask David to pin it.

However, go back to the first edition of Dittmer and Lehmann (Pelikan Schreibgeräte) and look closely at the nib chronology. Beginning in 1938 the 100 was offered with the Pd nib and after 1939 the availability of gold nibs was severely restricted.

If you need scans of the book, let me know.
Posted Image
Visit The PENguin
rickpropas@comcast.net

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Christof, apologies for the long delay in responding to a great chart. This is something that every collector should have. We should ask David to pin it.

SNIP

Done.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#13 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

However, go back to the first edition of Dittmer and Lehmann (Pelikan Schreibgeräte) and look closely at the nib chronology. Beginning in 1938 the 100 was offered with the Pd nib and after 1939 the availability of gold nibs was severely restricted.

Thank you for the clarification Rick. I will try to edit the informations about the nibs.
Unfortunately, I only have the second edition of the Pelikan book
Perhaps It would make sense to ad also pics of the different nibs... I'will see what I can do.
Thanks again for your help.
Thanks also to David for pinning this. Actually, this is my first pinned thread in several years of fountain pen forum activity. I feel honored :)

Christof

#14 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

Thank you for the clarification Rick. I will try to edit the informations about the nibs.
Unfortunately, I only have the second edition of the Pelikan book
Perhaps It would make sense to ad also pics of the different nibs... I'will see what I can do.
Thanks again for your help.
Thanks also to David for pinning this. Actually, this is my first pinned thread in several years of fountain pen forum activity. I feel honored :)

Christof

#15 entertainment

entertainment

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Is the first edition of Pelikan Schreibgeräte superior to the second edition? From the discussion above, I have begun to wonder. Like Christof, I only have the second edition and I have begun to think I should try to acquire the first edition too.

John

#16 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:03 AM

I have always admired these from afar...

I had a few over the years, and admittedly, liked them.

I really should consider finding a keeper.

I could look at the presentation you had here, and date the pens I had.

Nice job, and thanks for posting this.

Rick

#17 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Rick
I have quite a few of these...
Posted Image
...but to be honest, I never found one which suits for daily use. Maybe it's because of the size. The Pelikan 100 is rather short and I prefer pens which can be used without posted cap. That's why I use most of the time Parker "51" and Pelikan 400.
The reason why I collect them is, that I think they are quite interesting from aspects of design. The first Pelikan came out in 1929, a time when American fountain pens became streamline shaped....European market was quite different then.
Christof

#18 playtime

playtime

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

Is the first edition of Pelikan Schreibgeräte superior to the second edition? From the discussion above, I have begun to wonder. Like Christof, I only have the second edition and I have begun to think I should try to acquire the first edition too.

John

HI Entertainment--

I have owned both editions at one point, and sold the 2nd Edition of Schreibgerate.  However, I suffer an inordinate obsession for nibs--and therefore kept the 1st Edition, which details the evolution of Pelikan nibs.  However, if you are an avid collector of Pelikan pens, in all their infinite variety, I would say the 2nd Edition is the one to own--if memory serves, that edition explicitly tells you what details distinguish earlier from later instances of any one model........moreover, the layout favors direct comparisons of early with later instances.....

In a phrase--own both:).

Jason

Edited by playtime, 16 November 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#19 entertainment

entertainment

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:12 PM

Jason,

I bought my copy of the 2nd edition from you!

Thank you for your answer.  Now I will have to look for a copy of the 1st.

John

#20 oghistoryteacher

oghistoryteacher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:09 AM

A mavelous resource (and thanks for pinning it!). Between ebay-US and eBay-Germany there are some very iinteresting varieties. It's nice to (now) have an idea what one is really looking at. The comment about interchangability certainly seems to apply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users