Photo

FlamingooooooooOOOOooo. Wahls in Flamingo Celluloid.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Weird how mini collections eventually... happen.

Some eye candy from my own collection.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

Those are suave.

I realize I don't have anything particularly cogent to say when you post some of your beauties, David, but just want you to know what a treat they are to see.

#3 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:28 AM

Lovely! Didn't even know there was a flamingo color in celluloid, fun!

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Lovely! Didn't even know there was a flamingo color in celluloid, fun!

Hi,

Not sure Flamingo really looks like flamingo, but indeed that is what Wahl-Eversharp called that color. Prior to discovery of catalogues showing the name, collectors tended to call it oxblood, apparently not because it resembles oxblood so much but because in other settings that terms was used for blue-veined magenta.

Wahl did document this color for 2nd tier versions of the streamlined Equi-Poised model, as shown for the four pens at left in my photo.

We have no documentation for its use with flat-end pens (which preceded and overlapped the Equi-Poised, in general).

The color is scarce and desirable in the Equi-Poised. It is rare and off-catalogue in the flat-end pens seen at right of my photo. The Deco-Band (our term for the oversized Personal Point pen seen at the very right of photo, as a set) is one of the key rarities (or at least key "cacheities"- neologism alert!) of the entire Wahl company. I know of perhaps 4 or 5 of these pens. Syd and Cliff have 'em. Bob sold one recently to Luiz. I have one. Presumably others lurk.

You won't see many clusters such as the one shown in this image, as very few people have so many. Serious eye candy :)

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 Wahl

Wahl

journeyman

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Nice, very nice, I will just have to console myself with my normal woodgrains.

#6 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Just pure speculation on my part, but I always thought there may have been a breakdown in communication somewhere at the W-E company. Perhaps they meant to call the pen "Flamenco" - since the colors do remind me of the colorful costumes worn by the famous Spanish dancers. Then perhaps somebody making up the catalog simply thought he was told "Flamingo" instead and put it in the catalog that way. Certainly, the color looks nothing like the bird. B)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#7 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:38 AM

I like this "Flamenco" theory, and "Flamingo" is one of the early forms of the word. (It would course be too great of a stretch to imagine that someone intended "Flamenca" in its Renaissance Spanish meaning as "Flemish.")

#8 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Flamoingo = Flaming   Appropriate

Edited by Marsilius, 27 April 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#9 markiv

markiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

Really neat - first time seeing such a material.
Posted Image

#10 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Great pens David! I'll have one with me in Raleigh that isn't in your shot if you'd like to add another to your group.

Pearce.

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

Great pens David! I'll have one with me in Raleigh that isn't in your shot if you'd like to add another to your group.

Pearce.

A Canadian in North Carolina? What pleasant news :)

I grabbed a pencil in Flamingo at Chicago. Any item I lack I'd be happy to discuss.

regards

david

Posted Image

#12 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:37 AM

Just pure speculation on my part, but I always thought there may have been a breakdown in communication somewhere at the W-E company. Perhaps they meant to call the pen "Flamenco" - since the colors do remind me of the colorful costumes worn by the famous Spanish dancers. Then perhaps somebody making up the catalog simply thought he was told "Flamingo" instead and put it in the catalog that way. Certainly, the color looks nothing like the bird. B)

I like your theory. The use of "Flamingo" to describe anything other than pink or maybe pinkish orange just makes no sense.

Regarding David I.'s comments about oxblood, the appellation did not stem, I believe, directly from the hemoglobin of cattle, but rather from the use of the term to describe Chinese ceramics.

#13 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

The use of "Flamingo" to describe anything other than pink or maybe pinkish orange just makes no sense.

Hi David, I understand the thought that flamingo refers to pink. But it is still JUST possible that someone could be consciously accessing the older generic definition of "flaming." Online Etymological Dictionary: flamingo Regarding the likeliness of the more generic definition as familiar to someone, etymologists more wonky than I out there?

#14 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

The use of "Flamingo" to describe anything other than pink or maybe pinkish orange just makes no sense.

Hi David, I understand the thought that flamingo refers to pink. But it is still JUST possible that someone could be consciously accessing the older generic definition of "flaming." Online Etymological Dictionary: flamingo Regarding the likeliness of the more generic definition as familiar to someone, etymologists more wonky than I out there?

Marsilius, that seems like a real stretch to me. You are very likely the only person on this board who knows that. Most everyone thinks of the bright pink bird when you say "flamingo".

Just sayin'. :P

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#15 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:37 AM

Marsilius, that seems like a real stretch to me. You are very likely the only person on this board who knows that. Most everyone thinks of the bright pink bird when you say "flamingo".

Just sayin'. :P

I don't know how well know this definition would have been earlier in the last century, etc. But it's origin is not "unknown." So I am only arguing that it cannot be dismissed out of hand.
Most everyone writes with something other than fountain pens!
Just sayin' (couldn't resist). Posted Image

Seriously, I hope the distinction between conclusion and possibility I am arguing is clear. Again, someone more wonky may run off to the newspaper morgue and find some cool uses of this word . . .

#16 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:01 AM

One other possibility: flamingo flower, flamingo lily, purple anthurium? (One definition for flamingo includes an orange red.)
My link

#17 jonro

jonro

journeyman

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

Well, here's a photo of a flamingo I took just down the road from me at a park on... Flamingo Road. The truth is that their color can vary somewhat; it depends upon their diet. I have seen pinker flamingos than these; they probably had less algae in their diet.

Attached File  Flamingo.jpg   71.76KB   9 downloads

Edited by jonro, 22 May 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#18 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Well, here's a photo of a flamingo I took just down the road from me at a park on... Flamingo Road. The truth is that their color can vary somewhat; it depends upon their diet. I have seen pinker flamingos than these; they probably had less algae in their diet.

Attached File  Flamingo.jpg   71.76KB   9 downloads

FWIW, Carribean Flamingos can be called darker reddish orange as well. Not all flamingos are pink.
My link

I found it curious that the Crayola color Pink Flamingo (introduced in 1988) was identical to what had been called Carnation Pink. (so much for my online skills!)
My link

and finally, the best I could find on the name flamingo so far:
My link

Ok, back to work.

#19 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

Having added a couple items of late to my Flamingo collection, here is a recent photo

intro_wahl_flamingo1804sm.jpg

regards

d

Posted Image

#20 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

The Flamingo Flower suggestion is compelling -- the color is correct, and I find a good number of references to it in the 1920-1940 range when searching Google Books.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users