8 replies to this topic

#1 Silviu

Silviu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

This is my latest FP that arrived from Italy - the Omas 361/T. This FP has been on my list for quite a while, and now it joined some other Italian friends (one of which is showed latter in this post).

The 361 model was designed in 1948 by Armando Simoni (Owner of the Omas company from Bologna Italy ; OMAS stands for "Officina Meccanica Armando Simoni."). The 361 was Armando's answer to Parker's succesfull 51, but, many believe that the 361 not only copied the 51 but improved it.

The pen has an axial centered nib, with an asimetrical rotating hood allowing the pen to flexible or rigid, depending which way you rotate the hood. It is said that the pen was so succesfull that Parker tried to purchase the patent from Omas (Omas patented the nib and hood in 5 patents including the US) , but were turned down.

The 361/T model is from the 50's and has the cigar shaped Omas pens from that period named Ogival.

The capped pen:
Posted Image

Without cap:

Posted Image

Barrel Inscription :

Posted Image

Section with covered nib (Rigid mode). The hood is marked here by a large dot as oposed to a small dot for the flexible mode:

Posted Image

Section with semi-covered nib (Flexible mode).

Posted Image

and a third look at the nib from an olique angle, in which one can see the slightly concave shape of the nib and the spherical shape of the iridium ball:

Posted Image

Here's Armando's US patent drawing showing the central axis placed nib:

Posted Image

and a quotation from the patent explaining the two writing modes of the 361:

Posted Image

Now let's take a look at 3 Italian ads from the 50's advertising the Omas 361:

1. Like a sword - rigid and flexible, the pen with the double writting method:

Posted Image

2. The most rational and elegant solution to all writing problems. Protected by 5 worldwide patents:

Posted Image

3. The prestigious fountain pen
Posted Image

An actual writing sample - it's definetly not a wet noodle and you have to press quite a lot to get a width variation, but at least you can feel the diference betwen the two sides when writing:

Posted Image

and a last picture of the 361 side by side with the conventional Omas 556/S model from the same period (1950's). Both pens have the ogival cigar shaped form:

Posted Image

#2 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

Seriously way cool.

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

I have to agree with Mars, thanks.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#4 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

A question: you mentioned that the flex is not a wet noodle. On these pens, does the "rigid" tend to be truly rigid, or can it also be smooth or softish? I am thinking of the issue of rigido in opposition to morbido, which doesn't necessarily translate precisely in context in English. Best,Mars

#5 Silviu

Silviu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

A question: you mentioned that the flex is not a wet noodle. On these pens, does the "rigid" tend to be truly rigid, or can it also be smooth or softish? I am thinking of the issue of rigido in opposition to morbido, which doesn't necessarily translate precisely in context in English. Best,Mars

Just tried the rigid position again. It's certainly not "morbido" - it's smooth with an average amount of flow. Anyway it's not softish - it's rigid and smooth.

Not so easy to express the feeling, and it's a subjective one anyway.

Hope this helped

Silviu

#6 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Thanks, Silviu. I was thinking about how none of my (three!) 51s are feel exile, but all tend to have a kind of smoothness One can have on a firm nib. You are right, expressing how a nib feels is the hardest. This Omas looks wonderful. Maybe I will get to see it at an IPC meeting one day!

#7 loudkenny

loudkenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationOshkosh, WI USA

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

I can see why Parker would want this nib design.

I wonder where I can get one for myself?

Ken

#8 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

I wonder where I can get one for myself?

Ken

The 361 is various forms were made into the 1960's so they are not that hard to find. No harder than most vintage Italian pens. The celluloid ones are a bit harder to find especially the bronze arco version. I just posted pics of my platinum celluloid 361F.

Here's a rolled gold 361T with matching pencil.

Here's a black one.

#9 Silviu

Silviu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

The 361 is various forms were made into the 1960's so they are not that hard to find. No harder than most vintage Italian pens. The celluloid ones are a bit harder to find especially the bronze arco version. I just posted pics of my platinum celluloid 361F.

Here's a rolled gold 361T with matching pencil.

Here's a black one.

WOW.... your 361F PL is beautiful! Certainly more interesting than the regular black Ogival one - both PL and faceted.

Thats a great combination of technology and aestethics!

Silviu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users