18 replies to this topic

#1 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

Excited! had to share, I'll expand this post when the pen arrives... But I started my Montblanc collection with a 1950s 244. Then a 50s (just post war, with a steel super flex nib) 144... They are the PEFECT pens for my hands. I have found not a single other pen as well sized and balanced for me. And so I got pretty dedicated to finishing out the X44 size collection with a 344... And I just won an eBay auction for a VERY nice condition 344 with an OB (I adore oblique nibs). So nice to be able to cap this little mini collection, sort of my first "finished" moment in pen collecting. :)

A review of the X44 family will follow once my 244 is back from Ron Zorn and the 344 arrives. I am looking forward to having them all in rotation together!

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

Excited! had to share, I'll expand this post when the pen arrives... But I started my Montblanc collection with a 1950s 244. Then a 50s (just post war, with a steel super flex nib) 144... They are the PEFECT pens for my hands. I have found not a single other pen as well sized and balanced for me. And so I got pretty dedicated to finishing out the X44 size collection with a 344... And I just won an eBay auction for a VERY nice condition 344 with an OB (I adore oblique nibs). So nice to be able to cap this little mini collection, sort of my first "finished" moment in pen collecting. :)

A review of the X44 family will follow once my 244 is back from Ron Zorn and the 344 arrives. I am looking forward to having them all in rotation together!

Look forward to seeing images :)

Now, didn't we hear in an MB post just today that there is a 644 and 744 hiding out there?

I'm so confused.... ;)

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:38 AM

Yup, literally 10 seconds after I posted this the 744 and 644 were brought to my attention. Doh! So umm, does anyone have those laying round? I could probably be convinced to buy them. 😉

#4 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Yup, literally 10 seconds after I posted this the 744 and 644 were brought to my attention. Doh! So umm, does anyone have those laying round? I could probably be convinced to buy them. ������

Rick Propas has a 644 up on his site for sale.

Regina Martini has a 744 up on her site. (Ouch!)

Edited by AltecGreen, 30 April 2013 - 02:16 AM.

#5 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

Yeah, both too rich for my blood sadly!

#6 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:01 AM

The problem with the 744 is that it is solid gold. It is going to be expensive just based on the gold content alone.

#7 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationConfoederatio Helvetica

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

1367281043[/url]' post='24265']

Perhaps you and the most others here already now about this, but I thought it could be interesting for the ones wich don't to show a little illustration I did once, to explain MB's numbering system. I call it "the magic triangle" and it should be read in ccw direction.

First digit stands for quality/price range,
second digit stands for filling system and
third digit stands for size.

Posted Image
Here's an example, a 332 (budget line, piston filler and smallest size):
Posted Image
…in comparison to a 139 (Meisterstück, pistonfiller and biggest size)
Posted Image

So, your "x44-familiy" is just defined to criterias of size and filling system. The 344 and the 744 do not have that much in common except size and filling system, because the 744 is a "Meisterstück" and the 344 is a budget line pen. Most collectors wouldn't call this a familiy.
But hey, criterias for collecting are a personally thing, perhaps it's exactly this what makes your collection unique! Looking forward for an illustrating picture.
Edit: Forgot to mention, that my illustration doesn't include the Overlay pens. Have to complete this one day...

Edited by Christof Z, 30 April 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#8 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

The problem with the 744 is that it is solid gold. It is going to be expensive just based on the gold content alone.

Most of the 744 are gold filled, not solid gold. Expensive but still affordable.

Hi Josephine

As far as I know there are the following X44 pens:
  • 244 German production
  • 244 Danish production
Then you have the colors variations:
  • 144 - Black, Striated green, Striated Grey
  • 244 German production- Black, Tiger eye (brown striated), Grey striated
  • 244 Danish production - Black, Orange, marbled green
  • 344- Black, grey, red, green, blue ( I am not sure of this colors. I know that 432 series has them, but I´ve never handled other than black in the 4 size. Here there is also more variations in the cap bands with or without 344 writen
  • 644 - always metallic cap ( gold filled, silvexa and solid gold). There are at least 3 metallic gold filled patterns ( lined with spacing, corn barley with spacing and full corn barley)
  • 744 - Gold filled and solid gold
Here are some pictures of my pens, to show all the pens X44 models and some of the color and cap variations, hope it helps you finish your collection!:

Different X44 models:

From left to rigth
744, 644, 144, 244 German prodution, 244 Danish production, 344, 254 ( I know it's not part of the X44 series my mistake!!!)
Posted Image

Different variations of all models ( not complete!!):

From left to right:
744 gold filled, 644 gold filled cap and striated green celluloid, 644 silvexa cap and black celluloid, 644 gold filled cap and black celluloid, 144 striated green, 144 Striated grey, 144 black short inkwindow, 144 black long inkwindow, 244 German production grey striated celluloid, 244 German production black, 244 Danish Production black, 244 Danish Production marbled green celluloid, 344 Black, 254 black (wrong again!!! and probably the worst model MB made, IMHO)
Posted Image

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#9 cedargirl

cedargirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

Nice mini collection, Josephine.

May a 644 and a 744 come your way soon!
------------------------
Claire

#10 tenney

tenney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

Where does the 3-42 and 3-44 fit in? They don't seem like the 342 and 344.

#11 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Where does the 3-42 and 3-44 fit in? They don't seem like the 342 and 344.

They are generally considered the same pen but having evolved over the 50'ies.

As Christof showed in is great "Magic" triangle" they are part of the economy/budget line and as they are post WWII the 2nd code digit mean they are piston fillers.

The first to come out was the 34X series ( circa 1951)

In this pictures you can see all the parts and you can compare later with the 3-4X series ( pictures taken from an MB oficial repair book. If you want the full book you can find it at Tom Westerich website available for download)

Posted Image

Later, in the 50'ies the 3-4X line came to the market)

Posted Image

Later in the 50'ies, binning of the 60'ies the 3-4X line was again modified and the feed changed to the round and slited ebonite one, the section no longer convex but tapered and the 344 markings and Montblanc name were placed in the cap ring.

If any imprecision is made her in this text please let me know so I can correct it.

WR

Vasco

Edited by piscov, 06 May 2013 - 08:42 AM.

Best regards
Vasco

#12 tenney

tenney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:36 PM

Thanks. Somehow I thought that the 3-4x came out before the 34x. And despite knowing that they're the inexpensive "3", they're very nice pens.

#13 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:09 AM

Yeah, there are MANY more options. But most are just way out of my price range. I adore the striped MBs but my MBs until now have all be under $200, and that's my budget for pens really. The striped version are... well a little more than that. ;) So I've done my best to ignore them!

The 344 should arrive tomorrow, eager to give it a try!

#14 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:10 AM

Perhaps you and the most others here already now about this, but I thought it could be interesting for the ones wich don't to show a little illustration I did once, to explain MB's numbering system. I call it "the magic triangle" and it should be read in ccw direction.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So, your "x44-familiy" is just defined to criterias of size and filling system. The 344 and the 744 do not have that much in common except size and filling system, because the 744 is a "Meisterstück" and the 344 is a budget line pen. Most collectors wouldn't call this a familiy.
But hey, criterias for collecting are a personally thing, perhaps it's exactly this what makes your collection unique! Looking forward for an illustrating picture.
Edit: Forgot to mention, that my illustration doesn't include the Overlay pens. Have to complete this one day...

Yeah, I realize my x44 is sort of a random conglomeration/collection. It sort of happened randomly. ;-) I was aware of the numbering system but that's the best drawing I've ever seen to explain it!

#15 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:34 AM

1367281043[/url]' post='24265']

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for the numbering system, what can great resource.

#16 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

And despite knowing that they're the inexpensive "3", they're very nice pens.

You are absolutely correct.

O good pen does not have to be expensive nor of a known brand, or even with a gold nib.
One of my best nibs is a MB 342. Its the smoothest nib I have ever used or owned...

Best regards
Vasco

#17 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

Yeah, there are MANY more options. But most are just way out of my price range. I adore the striped MBs but my MBs until now have all be under $200, and that's my budget for pens really. The striped version are... well a little more than that. ;) So I've done my best to ignore them!

The 344 should arrive tomorrow, eager to give it a try!

Do share with us your impressions on your new pen, please!

Best regards
Vasco

#18 buntoro

buntoro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:11 AM

Congrats on your new collection Josephine. I too am a newbie but have started to collect some vintage MBs. I have a 50's 142 and 144.

Thanks for the great information christof and Vasco. I learnt a lot today!!!

Vasco, your collection is impressive!!! Wow! I would really like to own one of those striated MBs. If you would like to part with one of yours, perhaps you can let me know.

There is one X44 you did not mention - the 444. I believe it is the steel cap version. I have one in OK condition. Where does this fit?

Vasco, my 254 seems to have a very nice wing nib - it is a nice juicy writer. I have it in OM.

#19 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Congrats on your new collection Josephine. I too am a newbie but have started to collect some vintage MBs. I have a 50's 142 and 144.

Thanks for the great information christof and Vasco. I learnt a lot today!!!

Vasco, your collection is impressive!!! Wow! I would really like to own one of those striated MBs. If you would like to part with one of yours, perhaps you can let me know.

There is one X44 you did not mention - the 444. I believe it is the steel cap version. I have one in OK condition. Where does this fit?

Vasco, my 254 seems to have a very nice wing nib - it is a nice juicy writer. I have it in OM.

Hy buntoro,

I did forgot the 444, you are correct!

Its also a piston filler and was a special pen. Was made to be used by accountants and write in carbon copy paper. It's in fact a very nice looking pen and the nibs although stiff as hell are smooth. I have one 442 that I like very much, but I´ve never had a 444, nor seen many being sold. The combination of celluloid barrel with silvex cap with gold trim is really great.
They are hard to find!!! the 442 size is much easier...

As to the 25X series, I also like the design and in fact the nib shape is one of my favorites and they are very good writers. I just think the pen is not good because the plastics used tend to break a lot and is very comum to only find those pens with hairlines in the cap.... If yours has no cracks treat it well as they do break very easily!! I have a 256 MINT in box that I keep closed and well protected. All the others I own or owned from that series had cracks...

BR

vasco

Best regards
Vasco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users