• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#101 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:45 PM

I hadn't joined this forum, as the focus is more on vintage pens and serious, technical discussions (this was my impression), 

I know what you mean, but you're welcome to join Jon and me in the peanut gallery any time you like.

Yeah! And we don't let anyone get away with anything!

515033(44-PA-1374)_large.jpg

#102 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

good. 

I hope he gets the help he needs.

#103 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:42 PM

Jon,

Thank you very much for the heads up.  Don't know what made me check in here-- just a funny feeling.

Like Ethernautrix, new to selling on E-bay. 

"do.char" is bidding on a Waterman silver overlay pen I'm selling right now...  (ends tomorrow)

E-bay knows about "do.char" and hasn't kicked him off?

Good gods!  : (

Thanks again. 

-- Bruce Bocquin

Windcrest, Texas

PS:  if anyone interested will post update after I've spoken to E-bay.

---------

Update:

To answer my own question-- eBay rep claimed they can't ban a member just because of someone else's bad experience.  (Hearsay?)  Claims previously banned members can not come back to eBay (same PP address) 

Speculation on my part, but someone else is enabling this behavior by providing another PP address? 

Anyway, eBay rep told me how to block a bid so at least I've been spared major headache.

Best

--Bruce 

Edited by Pensee, 31 January 2015 - 08:25 PM.

#104 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:37 PM

IP proxies are not tough to find.

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#105 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:34 AM

You can permanently block a ebay member from bidding in your auction if you want. here is how: ( from Ebay help page)

"If you don't want to sell to certain bidders and buyers, you can put them on your blocked list. They won't be able to bid on or buy your items unless you remove them from the list. You can block up to 5,000 users.

To add people to your blocked list:

1. Go to the Blocked bidder list page.
  2. Enter the username(s) you want to block, and then click Submit.

To remove someone from your blocked list, delete the username and click Submit. Let them know so they can start bidding on or buying your items."

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#106 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

I thought I’d post in here with a couple concerns. Although I don’t have hard evidence; this guy might be up to his old habits.

On Dec. 20th, I was contacted by a person responding to a generic craigslist ad that I posted about buying fountain pens. I was contacted by phone, and this guy sounded fairly young (18-25). He claimed he’s inherited about 100 fountain pens from his deceased grand-father and wanted to sell or trade. “Do you have any Parker 51 double jewels?” “any Parker 51 double jewels,” “any Parker 51 double jewels,” “I will trade for any Parker 51 double jewels.” He kept repeating over and over again!

I told him to email me with some descriptions and photos of what he had. He wouldn’t give me his name and his email address was greatgatsby090@gmail.com.

I noticed some characteristics of this guy that matched a lot of what’s been said in this thread and I had multiple alarms going off in my head. The pictures looked too good to be true, him remaining nameless, poor grammar, and if we’re getting real picky --- greatsgatsby090 vs. brando090 same numericals... coincidence? 

Over the weekend he reached out to me again:

I have a Vac band Vacumatic and a Vacumatic display. $3,000 for the set. No photos available at this time, I have another buyer looking at them in a few hours from now.”

P1360081.JPG?action=attachment&folder=deP1360383.JPG?action=attachment&folder=de

P1360383.JPG?action=attachment&folder=de
gallery_81908_454_44502.jpg

#107 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:10 AM

<insert sound of forehead being slapped>

#108 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:29 AM

Vasco, thanks for cheat sheet.  Easy cut & paste that hopefully won't have to use again.

David, Rick, or anyone who might know:  IP address easy enough, but what about PP and same mailing address?  That's what eBay rep wouldn't tell me. (CSR Checklist: "When in doubt or against policy, change subject on customer.")

Pen-Deco, that sounds funny-- even though it really isn't.  "Photos not available at this time."

Dude... You're waiting on 35mm prints from Fotomat or something?  Get real! 

Still, "do.char's" bid on my first auction was too close for comfort.  21 transactions (most from the same people) plus a *coin shop

Bright shiny things...  That's when it clicked.  Nah!  Couldn't possibly be... 

Woah!  It is?  : 0 ! 

Very glad I checked here.  Pen gods must have been smiling on my first listing.  :)

Best

--Bruce

#109 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:27 PM

I've been told:

"Would you let Pen Deco know that they can contact the Computer Crime Unit of the Oxford Michigan PD concerning Brandon. I cannot do so because they have my information on a complaint and asked me not publish the phone number on the pen board, but you can decide if you want to do so.

http://www.oakgov.co..._compcrime.aspx

Detective Sergeant Darren Ofiara
Office Phone: (248) 858-4942

Sgt Ofiara handled Brandon's cases in the past when he was a minor and wanted to know when Brandon gets into his old bag of tricks again.

Thanks

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#110 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

I thought I’d post in here with a couple concerns. Although I don’t have hard evidence; this guy might be up to his old habits.

On Dec. 20th, I was contacted by a person responding to a generic craigslist ad that I posted about buying fountain pens. I was contacted by phone, and this guy sounded fairly young (18-25). He claimed he’s inherited about 100 fountain pens from his deceased grand-father and wanted to sell or trade. “Do you have any Parker 51 double jewels?” “any Parker 51 double jewels,” “any Parker 51 double jewels,” “I will trade for any Parker 51 double jewels.” He kept repeating over and over again!

I told him to email me with some descriptions and photos of what he had. He wouldn’t give me his name and his email address was greatgatsby090@gmail.com.

I noticed some characteristics of this guy that matched a lot of what’s been said in this thread and I had multiple alarms going off in my head. The pictures looked too good to be true, him remaining nameless, poor grammar, and if we’re getting real picky --- greatsgatsby090 vs. brando090 same numericals... coincidence? 

Over the weekend he reached out to me again:

I have a Vac band Vacumatic and a Vacumatic display. $3,000 for the set. No photos available at this time, I have another buyer looking at them in a few hours from now.”

P1360081.JPG?action=attachment&folder=deP1360383.JPG?action=attachment&folder=de

P1360383.JPG?action=attachment&folder=de
gallery_81908_454_44502.jpg

The balls of this guy is really something. It's the same kind of scam mentality as those emails that say you'll get millions of dollars from Nigeria if you just send us a couple of thousand. There are clearly people who fall for that kind of thing, lacking all common sense. $3,000 for a heavily worn and distorted Vac Band pen and some kind of Vac display (the photos don't show up for me), without photos? I guess he thinks you're a moron.

Has anyone actually completed a transaction with this guy where it came out ok?

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#111 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

I'm usually a patient person, but this is getting to be a pain in the ass.

Someone reported FPB to Microsoft as being unsafe.  Reason: phishing---> gathering personal & financial info.  (site's valid certificate 'revoked' as it were.)

While I can't say who reported, what are the odds that Dr. "I" posts contact information to law enforcement and then FPB is flagged?

Even when I report to MS Smartscreen that FPB is "safe" I still have to do two more steps to access now.  Foxtrot Uniform.   

Apologies if I sound a little grouchy. 

--Bruce

#112 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:07 AM

Latest news...

Me-

"$3000? That's pretty steep especially without a photo."

Response:

"Thanks Pat,

What would you be looking to offer? $2,000?"

Me

"Do you have a name? I don't know what to call you but I don't even want to make an offer in fear I'd offend you."

Response:

"My name is John, any offer would be appreciated. And we both live in Michigan, so if your interested, we can meet up whenever is best for the both of us."

Update. I called the Officer and left a message. I haven't heard back yet. I don't know what to make of this, but it's beyond sketchy.

#113 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:16 AM

Latest news...

Me-

"$3000? That's pretty steep especially without a photo."

Response:

"Thanks Pat,

What would you be looking to offer? $2,000?"

Me

"Do you have a name? I don't know what to call you but I don't even want to make an offer in fear I'd offend you."

Response:

"My name is John, any offer would be appreciated. And we both live in Michigan, so if your interested, we can meet up whenever is best for the both of us."

Update. I called the Officer and left a message. I haven't heard back yet. I don't know what to make of this, but it's beyond sketchy.

Be careful meeting him outside an obviously public and safe place.  He might be a weak fraudster, but he had an early interest in guns.

-d

Posted Image

#114 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:08 PM

Just wanted to update: the subject in question is apparently *still* engaged in questionable activity, this time looking for 'trades' in the pen_swap sub-reddit (which is for sales, trades, WTB, etc). It has been noted by a couple of people. Be advised.

#115 MxMJ

MxMJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

I'm the moderator of the pen_swap subreddit and was alerted to this last night. He will be banned but I'm not aware of any scam or scam attempts by him there. Just general assholery and overpricing.

#116 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:04 PM

What is the user name?

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out.

Edited by sloegin, 27 April 2015 - 10:21 PM.

#117 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:13 PM

I wasn't able to figure it out.  what username is/was he using there?

#118 MxMJ

MxMJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:38 PM

I wasn't able to figure it out.  what username is/was he using there?

Reddit is exceptionally strict with tying people's usernames to their real names without permission. I don't really want to do it even off-site since my username there is the same as this. I tried to PM it to you but it said you couldn't recieve any new messages.

Edited by MxMJ, 28 April 2015 - 06:38 PM.

#119 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:42 PM

Have a look here.

#120 Ashram

Ashram

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:36 AM

I believe that this same individual just tried to sell me several pens, one very high end without a photo, through reddit.  He never used his name and provided a throw-away email address similar to the above.  If anyone wants the details please PM me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users