#1 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

Take the Quiz..... http://www.lewrockwe...ccent-quiz.html

It hit is right on the head.... despite living in MD for the last 15 yrs and having lived and traveled in other states, I was born and raised in New York City (The Bronx to be exact)

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Northeast
88% Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

81% The Inland North73% Philadelphia50% The South40% The Midland31% Boston15% North Central6% The West
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Well it's interesting, despite never being to the US ( Australian, which has little ,if any, distinct regional accents) if I did then I'm most likely from "Northwest" on 97% , Philadelphia 87%, The Inland North 85% and the rest tail out ... Hey, I'm more American that most of you guys ( and gals...have to politically correct!!).Posted Image

Your buddy mate,
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#3 dr.grace

dr.grace

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

Wow, it pegged me perfectly as Philadelphian, even though I think I don't have a strong Philly accent.

#4 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:01 AM

I got the standard anchorman accent. Westerner.

#5 sauroposeidon

sauroposeidon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:38 AM

100% Midland. How'd you get Western, Brian? We have the same parents.

#6 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

Inland North. And they are totally right, I left the great lakes and everyone now says I have an accent. And it IS "pop," silly people.

"You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop.""

Edited by Josephine, 30 May 2013 - 02:54 AM.

#7 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

It hit is right on the head.... despite living in MD for the last 15 yrs and having lived and traveled in other states, I was born and raised in New York City (The Bronx to be exact)

88% Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

81% The Inland North73% Philadelphia50% The South40% The Midland31% Boston15% North Central6% The West

where are you from the bronx, i grew up on mt eden off the concourse

#8 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Sedgwick Ave right across the street from the Veterans Hospital on Kingsbridge Rd.
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#9 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Sedgwick Ave right across the street from the Veterans Hospital on Kingsbridge Rd.

a landsman

#10 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

I got midland, newscaster no-accent. But I could recognize the hallmarks of pronunciations from my original deep South in the exam. Which means, there should be a two part test: How do you say this normally, and . . . how would you say it after two beers or a long phone call home?

#11 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

If I'm to set any store by this rather iffy test it would appear that I am a New Yorker. I have never been there and live some 3,000 miles away in Mid Wales.......nothing like the same accent !

#12 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

Pretty sure this is a US only accent list as many of my answers would also peg me from certain places in Canada. ;)

#13 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Accents are a fascinating topic. This exam is clearly only for the USA, and I've seen others that are much more extensive.

I had a friend in grad school who had an amazing (to me) ear for accents. She'd hear someone talk and would peg them immediately, and with astonishing precision -- often discerning mixed accents, as where one had grown up in one place and then gone to school in another.

#14 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

My husband is like that David. I have no clue how he does it, my ear can only tell apart really OBVIOUS accents.

#15 welch

welch

journeyman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

Tom, I'll wave to your street next time I drive my wife to work. She teaches some at Lehman College. I find my way home by spotting the Armory and then the VA Hospital.

Incidentally, the quiz dropped me about 800 miles from home: it said "midland" accent. I grew up in and around Washington, DC, a third generation Washingtonian from Virginia families that moved "down" to Washington when the farming gave out. I must have imitated Huntley/Brinkley or Walter Cronkite while growing up...did not want that "Warshnin" accent...and I've lived in and near Manhattan for more than 40 years.

One revealing question would have been "soda" or "pop". Never heard of "pop" until I went to Chicago.

Another: Is "route 1" pronounced "root 1", like the root of a tree, or "rout 1", as in "Washington routed Denver in Super Bowl 22".

#16 cedargirl

cedargirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

Another: Is "route 1" pronounced "root 1", like the root of a tree, or "rout 1", as in "Washington routed Denver in Super Bowl 22".

Wow. That's interesting. I thought all Americans said "rout" not "root". Seems some of you speak English after all ... [runs for cover!]
------------------------
Claire

#17 Beringsea

Beringsea

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

1369839855[/url]' post='25759']

Ch. Tells me I'm from 'inland north,' but I wuz born in Da Bronix.
Gran Corcourse, if yer innerestid.
(But evidently, I don't sound like that!)

#18 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

Ch. Tells me I'm from 'inland north,' but I wuz born in Da Bronix.
Gran Corcourse, if yer innerestid.
(But evidently, I don't sound like that!)

i was born on da concourse also, but lived one block away. mt eden, 174 and walton.

wanna see the old neighborhood?

http://www.pbase.com...organ/the_bronx

and

http://www.pbase.com/patmorgan/bronx_2

#19 Beringsea

Beringsea

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Wow. Tanks!
Grandma still lived there (Grand Concours) when I was a kid, but I paid little attention to names of streets back then. All I know is that I could walk to one of the big department stores but I have no idea if I headed north or south or wherever. Then as now I navigated by landmarks. ;-)

#20 Penman

Penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

Accents are a fascinating topic. This exam is clearly only for the USA, and I've seen others that are much more extensive.

I had a friend in grad school who had an amazing (to me) ear for accents. She'd hear someone talk and would peg them immediately, and with astonishing precision -- often discerning mixed accents, as where one had grown up in one place and then gone to school in another.

Thats me too, real interest in accents and location and derivation of last names. Living in England there are towns that are just 3 miles apart with different accents and even diffrent words for the same objects, a classic is the name of a bread roll, anything from roll, to barm to breadcake etc etc.

When you go into the north of scotland the accents are more Scandinavian than UK. I work in construction in London and the main accents I hear are either Essex, where they pronounce Southend as Sarfen' or superposh where, for example, the word rats is pronounced rates and a whole different way of talking and behaviour.

The quiz pegged me as NE USA, although many brits tink I have an atlantic accent which probably comes from too many Joni Mitchel albums as a youth, although I grew up on a farm in Herefordshire which was the home county of many Mayflower pilgrims, so maybe not.

Edited by Penman, 12 June 2013 - 12:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users