21 replies to this topic

#1 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Hello there! Andy R told me about this place, so I had a browse around a bit, and I quite like it.
So here I am, having mastered the application procedure, I have very limited knowledge regarding using a computer!
Truffle Finder.Posted Image

#2 Wahl

Wahl

journeyman

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Welcome to the Board, may you find a few truffles :)

#3 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Welcome aboard Henry, it will be good to have you around. The Brits have been a bit thin on the ground here so the more the merrier!

I'm sure you'll notice a difference in tone compared to FPN - for example, discussions here can be rather more 'robust' without fear of deletions and expulsions and the like and (the last time I looked) you didn't get charged for sharing your expertise and experiences with the board!!

Andy

#4 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey (USA)

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Never heard of you......... Posted Image

Welcome!
Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

We sell quality, known brands at reasonable prices!!

(Use forum code "FPC" to receive an additional discount of 5%!)

http://www.federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)

Like Us on Facebook!

Follow our Group(s) at Linked-In!

#5 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hi there Frank L! There's nothing quite like a warm welcome!
Yesterday, I worked on a Watermans Patrician, for one of my 'recently met' customers, [he is, I think a visitor here from time to time] if he is looking at this, he might be pleased to know that the restoration has gone well, and no harm was encountered during the procedure!!! I will be taking it up to my booth at Portobello this coming Saturday, so it will be ready to be picked up anytime from then on.
At the end of this month, I will be attending a re-union, at a place called Clouds House, in Wiltshire, [in the SW of England], it is a treatment centre for Alcohol and Drug Addiction, and this year they are celebrating its 30th year, as indeed am I. Yes, I am an Alcoholic! And I was patient number Seven! So I am particularly pleased to be going to the re-union this year, because I have designed an overlay pen for them to sell at fund raising auctions that they organise from time to time. I have made 10 pens for them, so that should keep them going for a while!
I think that now would be an opportune moment to explain that I do not know how to 'scan and send' pictures, so I will be contacting my very good friend, [and photographer] Neal Laver, to tell him about the FPB, and hopefully he will be able to post some pictures on this thread.
I am looking forward to participating in the 'pen-talk' in the future.
Truffle Finder. [AKA Henry Simpole]Posted Image

#6 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

It would be great to see Neal here, I hope you can tempt him over to the Dark Side as well!

Andy

#7 2manypenz

2manypenz

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Welcome Truffle! I'm sure you'll find much to say and see here....right up your alley! :P

#8 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

2manypenz! Yes, I already have!
And I apparently managed to "Polemicise" George W Bush at the same time!
It's an amazing place over here!

#9 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

And I apparently managed to "Polemicise" George W Bush at the same time!

Yes, as I mentioned earlier, replies are frequently a little more robust over here - but you soon get used to that!

Andy

#10 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Welcome Henry.
There are certainly fine Morels to be found here, if not in fact, any truffles!

Edited by Jim B, 11 June 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#11 2manypenz

2manypenz

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

In Neal's stead....The Cloud's House 30th Anniversary commemorative....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by 2manypenz, 11 June 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#12 tenney

tenney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

Henry, fancy meeting you here. I'm sure that many other friends from elsewhere will pop up here too.

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

Henry, fancy meeting you here. I'm sure that many other friends from elsewhere will pop up here too.

Do invite them. :)

If they have trouble posting, please email me and let me know their board names. I can put through their third/final confirmation. We've had a flood of spambot applications (CAPTCHA tech has been beaten), and checking the various spam-fighting sites takes time, otherwise.

regarsd

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Paul Erano put a section on pen artisans in his Fountain Pens Past and Present. When I shot images for the book back around 2002-2003 he had me shoot a couple of Henry's gems. I have not dragged out this pic in years, but I do like it (it is a montage photo-illustration).

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#15 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for posting that picture on this thread David.
It made me realise just how long I have been making overlaid pens! It was after all 1999 when I launched the Snake pen, then the Jasmine design, [on the right hand side of the picture], and then I did the Tendril pattern pen at about that time. I only made about eight of the Tendril pens in silver.
Does Paul Erano visit FPB very often? Perhaps I ought to give him a ring, and remind him to do so!!!
Many thanks once again, do you have any more photographs?

#16 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

Welcome!

This is a great place to discuss and share fountain pens, and believe me, the folks here on the FP Board know their stuff when it comes to vintage pens!

If there is something I can do for you, please let me know!

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

#17 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

I've just got back from Portobello Market [it being Saturday over here!] and I'm pleased to say that I had quite a good day.
It started off with a regular customer of mine [from would you believe Alabama!] who comes over here about once a month, and usually comes to see me while he is in the vicinity. He decided to buy a 'transition period big red Parker Duofold' [in other words the same length of barrel and cap as a Lucky Curve Senior, but with single thick cap band, and with the Streamlined shape of the streamlined Senior] they were exported over here, when English Parker had just started up over here, [1937 I believe] by which time those type of pens were quite obsolete in the USA.
But of coarse there is no way of knowing when they were altered to 'modernise' them, but I think it would quite possibly have been very welcome stock for Parker to have utilised during the War, particularly when raw materials were in such desperately short supply.I have only come across a few of them in my time, working with pens.
Sadly, I wasn't offered much in the way of vintage fountain pens to buy, but, all in all it was a good day!
Truffle FinderPosted Image

#18 Paul-H

Paul-H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

Welcome from a fellow Englander.

All the way from Sunny Kent, so just down the road from you in reality

Paul

#19 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Hi Paul H! Welcome!!!
Yes, you're not too far away. I'm in NE London, [in Wanstead actually, at the end of the M11].
If there is anything that I can help you with, please do get in touch, and I would be only too pleased to help, if I can.
Have you ever thought about joining the Writing Equipment Society? You might find it very helpful, particularly if you [like most of 'new collectors'], you are still making some purchasing mistakes!!!

#20 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

It appears to have been a long time since my last posting on this network, [15th June!]

I suspect that some people might be experiencing 'withdrawal symptoms' from the absence of 'that other place' that pen-fanciers frequent, to pass their free time!

The South West of England is at the moment sending us [in the South East] some strong winds, and more rain, so, I hope that Paul H is not one of the people who have experienced some of the flooding in Kent.

Since the last time that I wrote anything on this thread, I am pleased to say that business has been good, despite the slight lull that usually befalls us during the summer months up at Portobello Market on Saturdays.

Probably the best 'pen-find' that I made this year, was a Watermans Safety Doll's House Pen, in Black Hard Rubber. It is in perfect condition, and it is housed in an exact copy of the dark blue cardboard box, which I think is so much better than those hinged 'out of proportion' boxes that are more commonly found to house such a beautiful delicate pen.

It is destined to go into my 'pension-scheme' collection, as it is a pen that I have always 'coveted', certainly once I had seen a picture of one, [probably in Andy Lambrou's book, [some 20 odd years ago!]

Sadly, I still haven't learned how to post photographs and images on this thread, but perhaps someone else might be able to help with that! Maybe?

Truffle Finder. :)  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users