• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 parkercollector.com

parkercollector.com

journeyman

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

I've taken on the Sisyphus mission to catalog as many Vacumatic variants as possible, pending an update of my Vacumatic chapter.
As you Vac-nuts know. That's not easy, especially finding images! So I would like to pick your brains regarding a few items:

1) Where the earliest marble Lockdowns Juniors transparent or opaque?
2) I've seen an Oversize Candy stripe in Green, how about Brown, and Grey? Candy stripe pencils?
3) Is there a Lockdown Slender Black opaque?
4) I have several Lockdown and Speedline Brown Canadian vacs with the 10-12 mm broad band, solid 14ct, ,9ct or plated. Do these come in all five colours?
5) I've seen (images) of a Black and a Grey Streamlined Oversizes (AKA Retromax). Do these come in all five colours?
6) Is there a Streamline Sub Deb (thin plain band) in Red?
7) Does the Standard 3-ringed streamline 1J come also in Brown and Blue?

I know it's logical that some exist, but I need to know if you can verify any of the above pens.
Thanks very much.
/Tony

Some Golden Arrow "Eye Candy" (yes the last one is Blue!):

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Responses intercalated within the quote

I've taken on the Sisyphus mission to catalog as many Vacumatic variants as possible, pending an update of my Vacumatic chapter.
As you Vac-nuts know. That's not easy, especially finding images! So I would like to pick your brains regarding a few items:

1) Where the earliest marble Lockdowns Juniors transparent or opaque? No doubt.
2) I've seen an Oversize Candy stripe in Green, how about Brown (yes), and Grey (not yet claimed) ? Candy stripe pencils? So far unkown. Don't forget red.
3) Is there a Lockdown Slender Black opaque? Yes, both High line and Economy Line
4) I have several Lockdown and Speedline Brown Canadian vacs with the 10-12 mm broad band, solid 14ct, ,9ct or plated. Do these come in all five colours? Yes
5) I've seen (images) of a Black and a Grey Streamlined Oversizes (AKA Retromax). Do these come in all five colours? Only Gray so far identified.
6) Is there a Streamline Sub Deb (thin plain band) in Red? Let me have you logic that one out for us... I will respond to your observations...
7) Does the Standard 3-ringed streamline 1J come also in Brown and Blue? The late (1945-7) triple band pens... Brown yest. Blue so far not seen, at least amongst USA pens. There might be a logic to that as welll.

I know it's logical that some exist, but I need to know if you can verify any of the above pens.
Thanks very much.
/Tony

Some Golden Arrow "Eye Candy" (yes the last one is Blue!):

Nice on the GA. I have a bluish Vacuum-Filler in superb shape. note that the "blue" on this sort is not such a blue-blue. More of a silver-pearl variant. Whether the color was done with intent or was a batch variation in the early days is uncertain.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

Here is a nice transition Shadow Wave for your viewing pleasure...
Posted Image

Along with all five colors of the First Generation Vacs
Posted Image
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Very nice example of the 3rd Gen Shadow Wave, but I would not use the term "transition" with it. Final Style... might be better.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

Very nice example of the 3rd Gen Shadow Wave, but I would not use the term "transition" with it. Final Style... might be better.

regards

david

OK. final style it is..... you should remember that pen... you tried to buy it at Columbus a couple of years ago.... :rolleyes: :P
What do you think something like that is worth now.... and no dodging and dashing around... just an idea is good enough
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

OK. final style it is..... you should remember that pen... you tried to buy it at Columbus a couple of years ago.... :rolleyes: :P
What do you think something like that is worth now.... and no dodging and dashing around... just an idea is good enough

I promise I would have tried harder to buy it, if I had not already owned a few...

regards

d

Posted Image

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

It is well more scarce than typical 2nd Gen double jewel, double cap-band version (assuming this is the full size pen), though it falls a bit under the radar and though of course collectors tend to like double jewels... and of course silver pearl pens are hard to fine clean. I'd sell a clean one at $250+, restored, with year warranty, retail. Less clean, lower price. Not a quick sale in any case. Has to find the right buyer

regards

david

Posted Image

#8 parkercollector.com

parkercollector.com

journeyman

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

OK, here's the dreaded list. I confess the answers to my initial questions sometimes leave me bewildered, although I do appreciate them.

http://parkercollector.com/bilder/allthevacs.html

/Tony
Posted Image

#9 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

journeyman

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

" Not a quick sale in any case. Has to find the right buyer"

Well I've just popped one on top of my "pen's I'd love to have" list, so I'll start saving up!
My prints and cards: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Inkysloth

#10 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

Tony,

Don't forget the Mini/Junior/Sub-Maxima (or whatever it has yet to be called)

Link to Topic

#11 parkercollector.com

parkercollector.com

journeyman

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Tony,

Don't forget the Mini/Junior/Sub-Maxima (or whatever it has yet to be called)

Link to Topic

Right!
Thanks!

/T
Posted Image

#12 Rick Propas

Rick Propas

journeyman

• ADVISORS
  • 227 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:26 AM

David,
Shouldn't this be pinned?
Rick
Posted Image
Visit The PENguin
rickpropas@comcast.net

#13 Baz666

Baz666

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

Tony,

Also, don't forget the Canadian thin cap band Oversize.

Link to Topic

#14 Greg Proctor

Greg Proctor

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationJackson, MS

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:18 PM

Even Though I've had Vacumaticsin my collection for years, i'm appalled at how little I know about them still. I just heard of a slender standard length ist generation vacumatic. Is this tru? What colors does it come in what are it's exact dimensions and does anyone have a picture of one or more of them?

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users