• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:36 PM

I only have had one ink, in the past, that was bought specifically for these characteristics, and that is Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrar's Ink. It is an IG ink made in England, and I have enjoyed using it for occasional writing (watching the transform from dark blue to black is intriguing) as well as having it in a dedicated pen for addressing envelopes. I could certainly live without it, but one bottle has lasted me 2 years already, and will go for a few more.

I recently decided to pick up a non-IG ink that would be as water resistant/proof as possible. Why? Because I wanted to start writing postcards. Nothing more Earth-shaking than that, but I thought it would be fun to have another dedicated setup. I was all set to get a bottle of Noodler's Black, a long-time standard, when Sam at Pendemonium sent out a note about their exclusive ink, Legal Lapis (also by Noodlers) that happened to have very good qualities. I like them, so I bought a bottle. It turns out just a tad greener and lighter than I normally like, but a few drops of Quink Permanent Black toned it down.

I have now used it in a true Frankenpen created just for this project: a small Sheaffer Feathertouch nib from a trashed Balance installed in a hilarious and garish Wearever body, the near-extra fine nib putting down just the perfect small script to allow a few words on the postcard. It makes jotting off a few cards to friends a fun and relaxing time, and with this ink I don't have to worry about the mail (on their end, not here in SoCal) getting wet.

And that's my stash: 2 bottles, which will more than likely last years at this rate.

#22 Mike Hosea

Mike Hosea

journeyman

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:19 PM

This recent purchase has persuaded to give up the notion that there is a ink that does muster both for both a traditional fountain pen and a calligraphy type pen that might warrant something else.

So easily?  You haven't mentioned trying a single cellulose-reactive ink, nor any Sailor nano inks, even.  Now granted, most cellulose reactive inks still bleed a little, but some are waterproof.  What colors are you looking for?

#23 Mike Hosea

Mike Hosea

journeyman

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:35 AM

I don't have a lot of purportedly waterproof inks.  Here are all three.

gallery_80536_452_92356.jpg

#24 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:21 AM

Works for me, Mike. I tried mine, first with drip tests, then soaking, and they all came out about like that. I don't need it to survive a tsunami or the sun going nova, just the odd spill or a damp day on the mail route.

#25 Mike Hosea

Mike Hosea

journeyman

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

I was surprised, though, that Kiwa Guro did the worst.  I'm not certain that it is very different than Sei Boku because of the different pens used.  Kiwa Guro is coming from a wet Oversize Balance there.  The Sei Boku is coming from a Snorkel.  The Snorkel is plenty wet, but it is, as Snorkels tend to be, a very regularized, controlled sort of wetness.  An artist might be tempted to use a flex pen with the nano-pigmented inks, but I think that might tend to dump too much pigment in spots, which would leave you open to pigment migration when water color goes on top.  

#26 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:02 PM

The last time I regretted not using waterproof ink was in 1973.   Later I was glad I did.  I ordered a book that I had saved for that was done in collaboration with Pablo Picasso. It was an expensive book.  The outgoing mail box was exposed to the weather and it rained that day.  The mail man never took the letter because the address was illegible.  Before i could re-send the letter, Picasso died and the book went off the market for a couple weeks then came back on at an exorbitantly high price and I missed out on getting the book until about ten years later when it went on sale for a lot less than before he died and I was able to finally get it.   

#27 Zoe

Zoe

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCallicoon, New York

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

Duplicate cost. Apologies.

Edited by Zoe, 31 October 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#28 Zoe

Zoe

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCallicoon, New York

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

Actually, Mike, I do have and use Platinum Carbon ink and have some cartridges of Sailor nano that I got from overseas.   They are as close as it comes to waterproof, I reckon.

And the de Atramentis does dry and remain waterproof but not if you are painting quickly & adding ink or have just put down ink.

Thanks for your suggestions and input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users