12 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

Moore (Moore's) offered high quality fountain pens for decades. The best as good as (perhaps even better than) the first tier stuff by the bigger makers. The Pen Collectors of America has a nice collection of Moore catalogues, a collection that peters out in the 1920's, even though Moore made pens at least into the early 1940's. I don't recall Bill Acker's catalogue copy offerings reaching into the 1930's of late.

Yet, moore made quality flat-top pens (including some unusual items with solid gold and enamel trim) and a range of well known streamlined celluloid series. It is nearly impossible to dig up info on these.

During the last year, I've had the chance to acquire a number of key adverts and pamphlets, which I will be bringing for show-and-tell to the DC Supershow which starts today.

Anyone who likes smaller make quality pens or of course who already is a Moore fan, do touch base. This stuff is pretty special.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

definitely want to see the Moore stuff David. I arrive tomorrow am.

#3 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:43 AM

Saw your post only after I got back from the show -- sorry I didn't get to see the catalogs.

David

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Saw your post only after I got back from the show -- sorry I didn't get to see the catalogs.

David

They'll hit the PCA library as 300dpi scans at some point not too long from now, probably with a short article for the magazine. Not sure I can pack them for shows that require flight, but could bring to my next driving show.

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

That's good news!
I need to scan up some stuff for the Reference Library myself one of these days.

best

David

#6 hughdrbf

hughdrbf

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

I'll go out on a limb here and share a few pics of a sweet little translucent Moore bulb-filler that I've recently restored. It's a wonderful writer and truly interesting visually. I received it absent the nib, and talked with Ross McKinney about finding a replacement. Interestingly, Ross tells me that he has the exact same pen but no extra nib to offer. Talking with helpful folks at this year's Baltimore show and searching Internet sites proved no joy. Recently I did find a replacement nib that fits - a Moore #2 nib that cleaned- and smoothed-up nicely. Although likely not the correct nib (Ross advised that the correct nib should read "The Moore Pen"), this #2 gets the pen writing in my EDC rotation. Some Diamine Oxblood and Amber inks make for a really nice look-see through the barrel.

4 7/8" capped, 6" posted, and 7/16" barrel diameter. Probably a 7 of 10 wet flow - nice to own and write with.

As David points out, scouring the web for information on this pen produced nada. I didn't find it in any of the Moore catalogs that PCA has digitized, either. Probably it's from a later period - perhaps the 40s(?).

Thanks for taking a look.

Hugh - from north of the equator Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

I would guesstimate late 1930s or maybe beginning of the '40s -- postwar seems less likely, all in all.
Bulb-filling Moores are not common; that's a nice find.

best

David

#8 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

Arrrgh!!!

Another style of Moore I didn't know existed and is missing from my Moore Collection!

Oh well, something new to hunt!!

#9 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

Jim, I know I have a bulb-filling Moore somewhere around the house. If I can find it, I'll let you know.
Squirreled it away years ago as part of my own Moore collection, but I've never really collected post-safety Moores with any seriousness.

best

David

#10 Hirsch

Hirsch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

Is it just me, or are there a lot of similarities between the Moore bulb-filler and this Stratford?

http://www.ebay.com/...k-/310725412612

#11 hughdrbf

hughdrbf

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

I would guesstimate late 1930s or maybe beginning of the '40s -- postwar seems less likely, all in all.
Bulb-filling Moores are not common; that's a nice find.

best

David

David, apologies for my late reply - was away for a few days.

Thanks so much for helping to date my Moore bulb-filler and share that it's an uncommon piece; makes it that much more special to my collection and when using it.

Hugh

#12 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

Is it just me, or are there a lot of similarities between the Moore bulb-filler and this Stratford?

http://www.ebay.com/...k-/310725412612

It's just you, Hirsch. :)

Maybe it's not so apparent from the photos, but the two pens are very different in design, construction, quality, and detailing.

best

David

#13 Readymade

Readymade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

Speaking of Moore, this recently came up for sale on the Greenboard - - a Moore WWII Writing set:

It’s a zippered leather case that includes a Moore folder, 4 V-mail self-mailer blanks, writing pad, stamp folder, full calendar, and Moore FP in grey and burgundy pearl striated celluloid with a GP clip, band, and lever, clear visulated section, and 14K Moore nib that looks like a M.

Right at the bottom of the page - http://members3.boar...1379341904.html

No affiliation. Just thought it was interesting :)

Singapore Fountain Pens Lovers - Facebook; Mailing list ; FAQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users