18 replies to this topic

#1 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey (USA)

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:03 AM

Twsbi Diamond 530 Review (Pronounced Twizbee!)

I purchased the very popular Twsbi FP at the NYC Pen show over the weekend. I was looking for several pens at the show, not really having this in mind at all. I was told by a known/friendly :) pen repair person to take a look at this pen! Boy, was I in for a pleasant surprise!

Design- This is a jewel-like quality demo pen made with crystal type etching in the acrylic body. This pen looks like a piece of fine crystal at first glance. It is well made, and has a very solid feel. I was carrying a Pelikan M205 Demo with me to the show, and the quality of this Twsbi really became obvious. It is a medium to large size pen (length of a Pilot VP) that feels as solid as a Sailor 1911 Demo (pic for comparison). This pen can be completely disassembled for cleaning, as a “wrench” and silicone grease are included (along with instructions). The pen case itself is also something to be admired for its’ design and practicality.

Filling System- This is a piston-fill FP that filled the first time I put it in the bottle. It did not require any priming, and filled full that first time. The materials are plastic, with a metal collar around the barrel where the knob shaft threads. The piston filling process is very smooth, and did not “stiffen”, nor hesitate to push through the barrel.

Nib- A stainless steel, iridium tip nib that has that familiar “Schmidt” type look/feel to it. The nib is a medium, and I would call it an Asian medium. It lays a nice line, and it is very smooth. The nib is marked “TWSBI” along with their logo, and an “M” on the side of the left tine that reminds you of other Asian made pens.

Price- The price paid for this pen was $40. I cannot state enough the value for the price paid on this pen! Imagine a quality piston-fill pen for less than $50! This pen feels like a pen costing twice and/or three times as much! The performance for the money also is something to be amazed at!

Conclusion- This pen is made by a company based in Taiwan. It has the quality of a Japanese pen costing two/three times as much. There is no need to leave a score, since I can find very little (nothing) to complain about with this pen. I was also told at the point of sale that any problems would be addressed as the pen is guaranteed against any defects. Early problems with prior models have been fixed as these new models have better seals. Bravo for a well-made, low price-point pen!

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

We sell quality, known brands at reasonable prices!!

(Use forum code "FPC" to receive an additional discount of 5%!)

http://www.federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)

Like Us on Facebook!

Follow our Group(s) at Linked-In!

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:52 AM

There's quite a following for these over at the FPN, I noticed their going to come with Bock nibs in stainless and titanium (flexible nibs) on the 530 1.5 version. Certainly look like real value for money, and decent quality to boot. It looks like your going to enjoy it!!

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#3 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWixom, Michigan

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:32 AM

Funny you should post this, Frank. I am at the Ohio Pen Show sitting a couple of tables away from Tom Mullane (Old Griz). Tom has been writing with this pen and can't rave enough about it considering the value just as you mentioned above. Nice review. Thanks.

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

Memberpca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png NAWCCLogo_zps4a922f0b.jpg

#4 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

Funny you should post this, Frank. I am at the Ohio Pen Show sitting a couple of tables away from Tom Mullane (Old Griz). Tom has been writing with this pen and can't rave enough about it considering the value just as you mentioned above. Nice review. Thanks.

Thanks Mike!

Yes, it has been three weeks now, and the pen still performs great!
It writes on contact with paper (no drying issues), and there are no staining/leaking issues!

Frank :)

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Like Us on Facebook!

#5 schadowrider

schadowrider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:50 AM

Nice meeting you at the show this weekend Captain Kirk! If I had read this earlier, I would have let you check mine out -- it was in my bag when we were talking... Thanks for all your Estie input! -glenn

#6 Chaim Seymour

Chaim Seymour

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:35 AM

Hi all

I am also a fan and when I manage to damage it through my own stupidity, their service was first class

Chaim
Chaim Seymour
David Elazar 8
Givat Shmuel 54032
Israel
tel:00972544728188

#7 Brian Gray

Brian Gray

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

Also a TWSBI Fan. Hard to beat for the cost.

#8 cwnidog

cwnidog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationShoreline, WA

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:14 PM

I'm beginning to think that there are two kinds of fountain pen user; those that already have a TWSBI and those that *will* have a TWSBI.

#9 pendumb

pendumb

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

I'm beginning to think that there are two kinds of fountain pen user; those that already have a TWSBI and those that *will* have a TWSBI.

How about those who will have morethanone TWSBI? I'm already up to 4.
:wacko:

#10 cwnidog

cwnidog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationShoreline, WA

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

How about those who will have morethanone TWSBI? I'm already up to 4.
:wacko:

Oh dear! Are they that addictive?

#11 pendumb

pendumb

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

Oh dear! Are they that addictive?

Well, if you come to the Seattle Pen Club meeting tomorrow, you can see for yourself. :rolleyes:

#12 thepianolist

thepianolist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWellesley Hills, MA - U.S.A.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Add me to the group of fans! I have the smoke 540 and Vac as well as the clear 540. Right now, I am concentrating on the clear 540 and this pen holds a huge amount of ink! It also seals wonderfully! I don’t do a lot of writing and sometimes I can go a week without using this 540. As soon as the nib touches paper, I have a line! I also don’t experience ink darkening the longer I have the pen filled. I’m just a fan of pens and not an expert the way many of you are but I would guess that the great sealing qualities that keep the pen from drying out are also responsible for the ink not darkening. I love my “51” Flighter but it DOES experience the ink darkening.

All in all, I would say to anyone wanting one and waiting – DON’T WAIT ANY LONGER! I have what appears to be the second generation 540 and so far, can not see ANY problems with this pen. I have 3 Montblanc 149’s and still go for the TWSBI! It’s just fun to use!

Bryant

#13 Tennpen

Tennpen

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

These are pretty nice pens, especially for the price. They are also good if you like to tinker a bit. The photo is my 530 with a 14K stubbed nib replacing the stock nib.

Attached Files

#14 Duncan Alexander Thompson

Duncan Alexander Thompson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:50 AM

Got to agree completely. They're awesome pens, especially at the price. The Diamond 530, then the 540. Plus capacity! they'll write for ever on a fill.

For those of you interested, the TWSBI Mini is coming out next month and i'm pretty certain they're all using Bock nibs now. the Vac700 is a vacuum fill pen which is unbelievable for the price. AND more than that, they're putting out a metal series tentatively titled Diamond 850, another piston fill and most likely sub 100 again.

Great company.

Alexander Pen Co. Opening Soon!
Follow our progress and leave your feedback here:
alexanderpenco.wordpress.com
or check out the store as it progresses at
www.alexanderpenco.com

#15 Mags

Mags

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAjax, ON Canada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

These are wonderful value priced pens that are priced perfectly to make these pens testers for different inks that may risk staining more collectible pens. I find they are like camels and go forever between ink drinks once they are filled in my pen case. I also like to share my 1.1 stub to newbies who have not taken a fountain pen in their hand in a long time if ever.
Rob Maguire (Call me M or Mags) I use a fountain pen and a blackberry playbook.

#16 Mags

Mags

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAjax, ON Canada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

These are wonderful value priced pens that are priced perfectly to make these pens testers for different inks that may risk staining more collectible pens. I find they are like camels and go forever between ink drinks once they are filled in my pen case. I also like to share my 1.1 stub to newbies who have not taken a fountain pen in their hand in a long time if ever.
Rob Maguire (Call me M or Mags) I use a fountain pen and a blackberry playbook.

#17 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

I didn't get the 540 because I thought it was too big, but the day the Mini came out (a mini 540 piston filler), I snatched it up. I liked it at first, but I liked it less and less as the days went on--compared to my Vacumatic or my OMAS or my pelikan, there was no comparison in terms of comfort--the threads were much too wide; digging into your fingers. The o-rings also would become crusted with dried ink--and god, do I hate inky hands. I'm selling mine! If the o-rings weren't there, the threads were more subtle, and the posting threads were more subtle as well, I would keep it. TWSBI does great work with pricing and now quality...but their designs need a bit more customer testing IMHO.

#18 pajaro

pajaro

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

I have a 530 clear that I bought NOS for $20 on ebay.  It's a very nice pen and writes a nice, fine line.

#19 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

I have a 530 clear that I bought NOS for $20 on ebay.  It's a very nice pen and writes a nice, fine line.

Wow! Great buy pajaro!!

I am still using my pen. I did have Pen Brown (pb2) smooth the nib at the Baltimore Pen Show a year or so ago!

No complaints otherwise!

;)

Like Us on Facebook!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users