Photo

PICS: WASP Addipoint nib assembly, MIB. Oh yeah... Stub.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

Sold this one backchannel via Vacumania wish list.

WASP (W.A. Sheaffer Pen) was a 2nd-tier 1930s sub-brand of Sheaffer though a number of good quality pens in lovely plastics were produced. The lowest of the low for WASP was the Addipoint (add a point. Hmmm...) line. Cheap trim. Often (always?) white metal nibs. Some had a plastic look aimed, I suppose, at Esterbrook (assuming Esties typical marbled injection plastic came first), though the Esties had better (apparantly solid Stainless or similar) trim than the "vaunted" Sheaffer. But, the Addipoints offered some nice colors and have bit of collector cachet from the Sheaffer linkage.

The (some?) of the Addipoints nibs were sold as part of a complete assembly: nib, section, feed, sac(!), all for 25ยข. The bubble encasing the nib might be celluloid. The section is threaded; presumably one simply unscrews the entire old assembly and pops in the new, though I suppose if section sealant were added, this would complicate the process of removal. Esterbrook used a threaded sub-section so one did not need to remove section (and could preserve original sac) when making a nib switch.

Still, a mint-in-tube Addipoint nib is not something seen everyday. Too, most nibs i've seen are fine or medium, this being the only stub I've spotted. I shot a few views of the assembly for my digital archive. Here are couple of the images. In a world with the Parker Aztec, this is low end, but it is not... uninteresting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

...Often (always?) white metal nibs....

Nope, there were 3 different (apparently 12K) gold nibs available. http://www.penhero.c...spAddipoint.htm

Now, where are the Addipoint nibs that are just a screw-in nib/feed unit as pictured in the article?

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

Nope, there were 3 different (apparently 12K) gold nibs available. http://www.penhero.c...spAddipoint.htm

Now, where are the Addipoint nibs that are just a screw-in nib/feed unit as pictured in the article?

Hi Matt,

Wel... on syntax, the "often" leaves the door open ;)

Still, I'm open to-- though not not quite sold by-- the linked info in your post. Are Rite-o-Way pens the same as Addipoint?

The image you showed details threaded sub-assemblies rather than integrated section/nibs. Really meant for same pens?

There is info out there as to 12k gold nibs (iirc, for Clipper), but Clipper of course is a different beast from Addipoint.

Thoughts?

-david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 CHICAGO88

CHICAGO88

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

THIS NIB IS MINE, MINE, I TELL YOUPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

DAVID,
WHERE AND HOW DO SERIOUS COLLECTORS FIND THESE CACHES OF PENS? I'VE ALWAYS BEEN AMAZED AT THIS!
THANKS,
LEE

LEE RAPPEPORT

#5 MxMJ

MxMJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:26 AM

Sorry for the necro thread bump but I can confirm there are gold Addipoint nib units, I just picked up a lot of them, none are in quite as nice shape as david i's though. I got 3 steel nib units; 237 Stub, a 232 Fine, a 241 Gregg and 2 gold nibs, one's package marked X - Fine, the other not marked. The gold nibs themselves only say: "WASP Made in USA 3" but somewhat interestingly (at least to me) the font is different than the steel nibs. Here are a couple pictures

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Shadow Wave

Shadow Wave

journeyman

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Cool! Especially the Gregg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users