• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5af451f03c

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#2 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

The world has always been crazy. And eBay is full of totally bonkers sellers.

Something I'm seeing recently is I'll watch a nice pen I'm interested in. Don't bid cause it gets too expensive for me (but still reasonable for the pen). The auction ends and the next day the SAME pen, same pics, same seller, etc goes up as "Buy It Now" for 100x the closing price. Like I watched a nice Soennecken finish at $250. Suddenly it is BIN for $2k. This has happened enough times for me to wonder what the heck is going on.

#3 Michael Quitt

Michael Quitt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

The world has always been crazy. And eBay is full of totally bonkers sellers.

Something I'm seeing recently is I'll watch a nice pen I'm interested in. Don't bid cause it gets too expensive for me (but still reasonable for the pen). The auction ends and the next day the SAME pen, same pics, same seller, etc goes up as "Buy It Now" for 100x the closing price. Like I watched a nice Soennecken finish at $250. Suddenly it is BIN for $2k. This has happened enough times for me to wonder what the heck is going on.

Hi Josephine,

Many times, the seller is contacted, offline, and asked if they will sell the item for a particular price, in order to keep others from bidding or letting the auction run to its end. If the buyer and seller can come to and agreed upon price, the seller will, sometimes, edit their description, at that point, to a "buy it now" and immediately allow the buyer to buy the item.

Best,
Michael
www.charmcitypens.com

Edited by Michael Quitt, 22 August 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#4 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Nope, Michael the auction is completing. Not being changed. You can still view the old auction, still see who is listed as the winner. This is not a case of someone adding a BIN. The auction FINISHES at a reasonable price. Someone is declared a winner. Then it shows up the next day as a BIN at much, much higher. There are two of those that have been sitting BIN for months now. I've watched them be relisted over and over again because they are rare pen brands that I have auto searches set on. So I see every-time they get relisted. It is really weird.

#5 tenney

tenney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

I've seen a lot of these, not BIN 100X but much higher than the closing bid on the auction. I, too, have been trying to figure it out... there's got to be some scam involved, but I can't figure it out.

#6 dr.grace

dr.grace

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

Probably the purchaser was a shill. But why it would be relisted at a higher price, rather than a lower one, is odd indeed. Maybe the seller had been expecting a much higher price, then saw that the auction wasn't going his way and intervened using a shill account. Then, he listed a BIN for the imagined, unrealistically high price.

#7 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:08 AM

I've seen a lot of these, not BIN 100X but much higher than the closing bid on the auction. I, too, have been trying to figure it out... there's got to be some scam involved, but I can't figure it out.

The pen is an innocent bystander.

Send me a link to the auction pair or the auction numbers.

I know some people.

#8 tenney

tenney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:20 AM

Having seen them, doesn't mean that I noted / saved them :-) When I see it again, I'll make a note of it.

#9 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

But how about this particular pen!

It already has 25 bids and its currently going for 500usd and still missing 3 days for the auction's end. Is it special? I am not an Conklin expert although I like very much the Nozacs.

Are the 3 rings? Is the crescent moon? Is something else? or has this guy some friends biding on his pen just to increase fraudulently his sale?????

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#10 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

I bought an Omas Extra from Italy Ebay, and the next day a Buy-it-Now popped up of the same pen, same seller (same pictures) for the same price I won the first one for. I emailed the seller, and he explained he had a second one (same pen) and was lazy and decided not to take new pictures. He sent me a picture of the actual second pen and I bought it too (sans shipping).

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#11 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

Getting back to the original query, the pen has a number of unusual features. The triple cap band is one; the two-tone nib is another.

best

David

#12 aschup

aschup

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationParis, for now

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

I bought an Omas Extra from Italy Ebay, and the next day a Buy-it-Now popped up of the same pen, same seller (same pictures) for the same price I won the first one for. I emailed the seller, and he explained he had a second one (same pen) and was lazy and decided not to take new pictures. He sent me a picture of the actual second pen and I bought it too (sans shipping).

Same thing happened to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users