1 reply to this topic

#1 Sir. Ebaysalot

Sir. Ebaysalot

journeyman

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMassapequa Park, NY

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

I don't know why, but lately I've been buying (too) many Parker pens on ebay this past week. I just bought a lot in which I think contains 2 Wearevers (which I will probably toss on arrival), a Parker 61 "First Edition", and a Parker 51. My questions are...

1) Is the grey pen I purchased a Parker 61 and is it a first edition?

2) Is the bluish-grey pen a Parker 51 and how much will it cost (approx.) to replace the nib and feed? (see picture 8)

3) What colors are the (presumably) 51 and 61?

4) Did I get the pens for a fair price considering their damage/ restoration costs?

5) How much would it cost to refrost the caps/ is it possible to refrost the caps without sending them to a restorer?

Thanks for all of the help in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

Regards,

Vincenzo

#2 ljwahl

ljwahl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:02 AM

I'd say you did very well-- that medallion on the cap of the 61, visible only in the first pic, indicates a first edition. The 51 probably has a fine nib and feed-- the hood is just twisted (maybe screwed off a 1/4 turn?), or the hood was off at some point, the nib and feed rotated, and the hood reassembled-- either way should be an easy fix.

Your total price would have been OK for either one of these pens alone, assuming the plastic and arrow of the 61 are ok. Together, with a couple of Wearevers thrown in for a bonus-- you got a very good bargain.

As to refrosting-- I'd say live with them a bit and see if you find it really necessary. I've not found a reliable way to do it on my own; a green Scotch Brite pad will give you a scratch finish, but it's really nothing like either the original scratch finish (vac caps) or the etched finish (aerometric caps). I've only used one on a couple of caps that just had very inconsistent finishes, and I didn't want to send them out. I have like-new caps and well-worn caps, and I enjoy them all as they are.

Edited by ljwahl, 03 September 2013 - 12:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users